Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #1  
banned

Exclamation effects of caffeine on weightloss

why are we limited to the amount of caffeine on this diet? 'Cause I figured that since caffeine boosts up your metabolism that it would be a good thing. Can someone please elucidate?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #2  

I don't know about it boosting metabolism, but caffeine does trigger an insulin response, according to Dr. Agatston, and can mess with your blood sugar. That's the reason given in the SBD book.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/154/135

I have a caffeine coffee every morning and every afternoon and have added in an occasional Diet. Dr. Pepper and have lost almost 20 lbs. since Feb. 1. It just depends on the person... re: caffeine. I think the dr. says a little is okay. But not good to drink mugs and mugs of it all day!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #4  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I believe that caffeine speeds up your heart and can make you burn more calories. If you read the book I believe the doc says that if you are not adversly affected by caffeine by all means have it. Caffeine can be bad for you though, it can keep you awake at night, it is highly addictive and also has been linked to depression. Caffeine is the main ingredient in most diet pills...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #5  
Tara

S/C/G: 178/172/140

Height: 5'5

Wow, Stephie...I didn't know it had been linked to depression! I have been battling with mood swings and depression for some time now and I certainly have my fair share of caffeine every day! Makes me wonder! I don't take any medication for depression or anything but I just find that it doesn't take much here lately for me to get down or overwhelmed. It could also be the lack of sunlight that we've had too! Hopefully that will soon change. Today is certainly looking nice enough! Have a good one everyone!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Dr. A says that caffeine is a problem because it causes you to produce more insulin, which causes you to have the same problems that eating bad carbs does. You should limit yourself to 2 servings a day (be careful...a serving is 8 oz. of liquid...) if at all possible. Here's the quote from the book (pp. 56-57):

Quote:
Coffee, of course, contains no sugar on it's own. Peaople have grown accustomed to hearing doctors advise against excesses, but I don't think they're all that bad in moderation. Some diets steer people twoard decaf for the simple reason that caffeine does stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin, which is the last thing an overweight person needs. Still, the effect isn't all that great, and if a cup or two of coffee a day makes you happy, I think you should feel free. Tea may actually play a role in the prevention of heart attack and prostate cancer.
Note that he says if you want to have a cup or two of coffee...not a grande latte three times a day. I find that when I drink a lot of diet soda, I notice an increased appetite for carbs and fruit, and less weight loss.

Later on in the book, there's a testimony from Katie A., who says:

Quote:
I was also a tremendous caffeine drinker back then. I was drinking a six-pack of soda every day--Diet Coke, or Diet Pepsi, or Tab. But it definitely was not caffeine-free, and I learned later that the caffeine was an appetite stimulant for me.
One of the things I love about SBD is that it encourages us to find what works for our own bodies. Obviously, if you are not seeing side effects from caffeine and your doctor thinks it's okay for you to consume the amount that you do, go for it. But if you aren't sure what it will do to you or you've never tried drinking less to see if it helps, I'd try that too. Figure out what works for you.
Closed Thread