Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:04 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default Sugar Alcohols - Daily Dish

I thought this was interesting....I won't post all of them, but the ones that I am reading that have to do with questions that have been posed I will.....if it is a nuisance, just let me know!!!

The Lowdown on Sugar Alcohols

When you read the ingredients in a package of sugar-free cookies, you may come across one or more unfamiliar words ending in "ol," like sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol. These ingredients (along with isolmalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolyses) are also known as sugar alcohols.

Sugar alcohols are sugar substitutes derived from plant products like fruits and berries. They are low-calorie, slow-digesting substances commonly found in "sugar-free" products such as gum, candies, soda, and even toothpaste and mouthwash.

Although sugar alcohols have fewer calories than sugar, products with sugar alcohol may still contain carbohydrates. So it's wrong to assume that eating sugar-free foods won't boost your blood-sugar level. Read the label of any sugar-free product carefully, and always consume sugar-free treats in moderation. On the South Beach Diet, products made with sugar alcohols are included under the 75-calorie daily limit on sweet treats.

One more thing to keep in mind: Because sugar alcohols are slow to digest, they can have a laxative effect. Some people are more sensitive to this than others.
Closed Thread