3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   SBD Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions-115/)
-   -   Brand new to the Beach - with a couple questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/169385-brand-new-beach-couple-questions.html)

emmathepineapple 04-16-2009 02:10 PM

Brand new to the Beach - with a couple questions

:)So, I'm ready to start South Beach, but I have a couple of questions that the book can't answer. I'm hoping someone might be able to help!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any no-fuss meal options along the lines of a balance bar, or another nutrition bar. The problem is that I am 1. an absolute train wreck in the kitchen, and 2. without any sort of reliable schedule since I am currently working as a server and my hours are very erratic. After several failed diet attempts, I've realized that if a diet requires too much cooking, food shopping, or other logisitical maintenance, I wont be able to do it. Unfortunately, this is just one of my shortcomings. I am going to try to work against this in order to succeed this time, but when it comes to cooking, I need to cut some corners where I can. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also a little unclear about the restrictions on alcohol after phase 1. I am 22, and much of my social life includes dinners out and nights at bars (which have likely been the driving force behind my weight gain). The book has some good information for eating out, but hardly addresses the alcohol issue at all. I know this might seem trivial, and I'm sure the answer for many was to simply cut alcoholic beverages out of the picture, but that's not realistic for me, and in any case I don't want to. Beer I understand, but I am not clear as to why the diet prohibits hard alcohols like vodka and rum. It seems as though a vodka soda or a rum and diet coke would have far fewer sugars and calories than a glass of red wine. Is alcohol really prohibited?

Anyway, I hope someone is able to help. I would appreciate answers, along with any general advice you maybe wish someone had offered you at the start. I don't have a ton of weight to lose, but the whole endeavor is daunting and feels like it's going to be unpleasant. I hope to be wrong. :carrot:

Schmoodle 04-18-2009 10:00 AM

Hi Emmathepineapple, I love your name!
I also hope you are wrong about the unpleasant part. I always thought diets were the worst things in the world to put yourself through (which is how I ended up with 100 lbs too much of me), but I 've found South Beach very easy to stick to, and I hope you will too.

South Beach works best if you do some planning and (sorry) cooking. But I think you can make it work for you. I don't know how many you are cooking for, but if you cook extra and freeze that helps a lot for nights on the go. There are a lot of simple and quick but delicious recipes to be found on our recipe board here too. I work full-time, have a long commute (although I'm lucky to telecommute also) and have 3 kids, so planning is key for me. I make up menus for the week and do my shopping. Then, Sunday morning is usually prep time. On Sunday I've usually got something going in the crockpot, some soup on the stove, and something in the oven. I hard boil a dozen eggs for snacking, steam some edamame, etc. Anything I can do to make the week ahead go more smoothly.

Some quick and easy on-the-go ideas are: the aforementioned hard-boiled or deviled eggs, cheese, nuts, ww wraps, Nessa Bars (Oatmeal Breakfast Bars).
I try to stay away from the prepared SB stuff - bars, meals, etc., unless I am traveling, then I will take some bars along in case I have to miss a meal. That's a personal choice, though, I just try to eat fresh and healthy as much as possible.

Re: the alcohol. There is not clear guidance on this. I think most of us have given up beer and mixed drinks/hard liquor, except for an occasional indulgence. Many of us do enjoy our glass of wine here and there. This was discussed recently in another thread and I think CyndiM dug into the book to find the guidance. I'll see if I can find it and link it. You'll have to see what works for you, but I'll bet drinking on a regular basis will slow or stall your loss.

We've had lots of threads on quick and easy, no-cook options, and alcohol. If you do a search, I'm sure you can come up with lots more info and chick input. Good luck to you.

cottagebythesea 04-19-2009 12:47 PM

:welcome3: to The Beach, Emmathepineapple! I'm happy you've discovered our forum, and hope to see you here often. :)

Thanks, Schmoodle, for all the advice! I agree completely with everything you've said. I'm so glad you've read the book before starting this plan, as it's important to understand the fundamentals of this way of eating.

Good luck to you, and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions or concerns you may have.