How often do you weigh yourself?

You're on Page 2 of 8
Go to
  • I'm with funniegrrl on this one. The scale is definitely my enemy. I can only handle the stress once a week. But I think that's because of MY obsessiveness. Funnie - we're the type to think about that one pound and where it came from ALL DAY LONG!! Now, people like you and I can hardly imagine, but some don't even think about it and are able to accept it as part of dieting!

Once again, to each their own!
  • I have been weighing everyday for the last five years!

I weigh every morning right after I potty....lol

And sometimes I do weigh more than once a day just b/c I want to
  • Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one . . . I always weigh at least 2X a day . . .sometimes more. I think seeing the actual # - and my scale is digital - reminds me of the reality, which sorta scares me into sticking to the diet. I don't like seeing that number - the one that starts with a 2 !

But I do like funniegirl's idea of freeing yourself from the scale & focusing on behaviors. . . .keep sharing the non-scale victories, they're important too!!
  • Yeah, I weigh everyday too. I find it very motivating....it motivates me to get up in the morning. I find it easy to stay OP(OK OK don't throw things at me) so if the scale doesn't stay put, it goes down, and it gives me a real lift that lasts..........Jo
  • I weigh once a week. Every Wednesday morning, before kickboxing class on their scale. I try never to weigh at home, because every scale is different. I find I look forward to Wednesday mornings to see how I'm doing. So far the scale has gone down every week since Jan. 12th, sometimes only 1/2 lb....sometimes 2 1/2 lbs.
  • I weigh only at home - my doc accepts my figures. I weigh every morning and realize weight fluctuates so I average for the week. I've been weighing every morning since 1960 - must be some kind of record!
  • I'm so relieved that me "dirty" little secret is out.

I have been doing the daily weigh-ins for quite a while. Unfortunately it hasn't kept me from putting the pounds on but it certainly is a reality check for me.

Glad to know that I am a member of such an esteemed group!
  • No need for us to be shy about this. It's not really obsessive - just a personal care habit like cleaning your teeth every day or using your deodorant!
  • I think for some it *can* be obsessive but it depends on your personality. If we are replacing one obsession with another--and yes the scale CAN become an obsession--then it is an unhealthy option. Some people have addictive personalities, they over did it on the eating and when they realized they had to lose weight, they overdo it on the eating well and exercise. Both ends of the spectrum can be deemed unhealthy even if the weight loss is a healthy reason. For me, I don't mind weighing everyday but I will not weigh in more than that because of daily fluctuations that may get me down, whether we think it will or not. I weigh once in the morning at my real true weight and leave it at that. Everyone is different but to say that it is like brushing your teeth etc is in my opinion not the greatest comparison.
  • Well, it all happens to me at the same time which is why I used that as a comparison. I do agree that weighing more than once a day can be discouraging as weight goes up and down during the day. I used to weigh myself after a middle of the night pee - nopt THAT was obsessive!
  • Yes I was doing the same thing, every TIME I had to pee which obviously was a lot with the consumption of water we've become accustomed to. That was horrible as well, but I have weaned myself off of that. :-)
  • We need a life!
  • Now, now, girls.

You know, if this were the Eating Disorder Support Thread (there is one if you need it, darlings), I'd be concerned about people weighing too often, but the issue here is that we're struggling to lose weight because we're ummm... hefty. We're unhealthily overweight. Some of us are close to our goals, but a fair number of us have a LOT of weight to lose, myself included. I think if any of us were REALLY obsessive about the scale, we wouldn't be as heavy as we are. I don't think any of us here are weighing and purging. If that were the case, I'd be sending you right over to the EDS thread.
    I'm like you Amanda, Bamie, and RNMom... if I'd continued weighing on a regular basis, I would never have allowed myself to reach the weight I'm at now. I never seemed to acknowledge that I was aging, that I was slowing down, and that I was eating more than I needed.
    Damn, I'm hungry!
  • I just put my scale in the bathroom cabinet. It got to where I was weighing every day, and that wasn't good. I started out weighing once a week, and then started doing it more often. Last week I had a very bad time when I weighed in & discovered I'd managed to gain, even though I was pretty careful with my eating. I've made a pact with myself to only weigh in monthly, but goodness it is tempting to pull that scale out & see how I'm doing! But I recognize that I'm starting to obsess over it, and that's not a good idea. I like myself a lot more when I'm not looking at the scale. With the blasted thing out of sight, I'm a lot more likely to look in the mirror and realize how baggy my pants are getting (what an ego boost that was!) rather than beating myself up because I'm not at 185 anymore. I mean, it's nuts to me, to step on the scale one day and have it be below 190 and the next day step on and see it over 190, and my clothes fit the same! I didn't like what I was becoming with all this weighing, so I've closed away the scale, and though I'm tempted, I feel so much better about myself!
  • How often do you weigh yourself?
    Since I'm fairly new here, this may have been bounced around before, but I'm curious. How often do you weigh yourself? Prevention Magazine said that the most successful weight lossers are people who weigh themselves every day. Of course there are lots of reasons not to do this and the findings were toned down because its a well accepted fact that weighing yourself is not really good for you. Maybe its only not good for you in the weight loss part of the journey and maintainace it is. I was wondering what you lovely chickies thought.

Personally, I go through phases. I tend to get on the scale every morning. Of course I then end up going nuts after a while and have my hubby hide it so that I can only weigh once a week. And so the cycle begins again.

What about you?