Holiday Questions and Answers

You're on Page 2 of 10
Go to
  • Have you used the brown sugar twin? I bought a box and tasted it and couldn't get past the aftertaste. It's still sitting up in my cabinet, right next to the stevia I got at trader joes.

How much of the glaze actually gets into the ham? If you are eating only a slice or two? I'm thinking that I usually cook a large ham about 12 pounds, I usually use an orange marmalade/yellow mustard concoction. ~ 2 cups of glaze for the entire ham, then baste while cooking. I wonder if it would trigger cravings? Of course, the problem is not the 1 or 2 slices for me. It's the eating the nice burnt pieces of fat and the crispy turkey skin and....hmmm, this is going to be hard. Maybe holidays will be spent at someone elses house where I won't be tempted to eat everything.
  • I'll have to check to see if mine is Sugar Twin or the other company. It tastes good to me.

I don't think I'd want to use a non-South Beach glaze because I often freeze leftover ham and use it in making Jambalaya. If I have to, I will just cook part of it without the glaze.
  • Hey, girls... I'm starting a few threads in the recipe section. They'll be at the bottom of the page... where the "loose" threads are. I'm going to create a few threads and sticky them.
    Sorry I can't create sections... it takes up too much space.

Okay... I've got four threads up. Appetizers, Main Courses, Desserts, and Side Dishes. If you want another thread stickied, let me know.
  • I know for fresh veggies, my parents stock up in the summer (we grow our own) and freeze them in ziplock bags, so we get them all winter long.. even corn
  • Instead of butter use olive oil to saute your apples and veggies.
  • I have survived winter on the 'beach' and my weight loss certainly slowed down. Summer was so much easier! And I haven't even had to get through Xmas, Halloween or Thanksgiving!

I have eaten a ton of vegetarian chilli. I have made a few pots of vege soup (barley, lentils, split peas, onion, celery and carrot), minestrone soup and had loads of cooked vegetables. I am not eating any starches or fruit so that I can have a wider variety of veges. I really miss my salads but its too cold to eat them very often and they are pretty expensive to buy. The hardest thing I've found is finding something to thicken stews and casseroles. Oh yeah - and I miss my cheesy sauces on veges. Just the thing on a cold winters day!

We celebrate Xmas summer style which involves eating salads with your turkey and ham and having strawberries or fruit salad for desert (plus pavlova and triffle which are about 90% sugar I'm sure). Usually the meat is cold anyway, most Kiwis cook it the night before or just have a BBQ.
  • Worried already.....
    I wasn't worried about Christmas and Thanksgiving until I really blew it this past week with all my family here. I can't believe how easy it was to slide after 8 months of being strictly SB perfect! Now I'm worried.

I don't host the big dinners. I get to work on Christmas and Thanksgiving this year. yippee. It's all the baking prior to Christmas that I'll miss!!!!!
  • Quote: Hey, girls... I'm starting a few threads in the recipe section. They'll be at the bottom of the page... where the "loose" threads are. I'm going to create a few threads and sticky them.
    Sorry I can't create sections... it takes up too much space.

Okay... I've got four threads up. Appetizers, Main Courses, Desserts, and Side Dishes. If you want another thread stickied, let me know.
    Ellis, that's a great idea! Has anyone posted anything yet?

Barb, I'd love to know your recipe with WW bread...my family has always used Wonder bread!

Looking forward to seeing lots of posts in these forums!

As to the holidays, I figure that I'm going to simply modify what I can, cut out what I can't and add in some new favorites to supplement! My Thanksgiving is going to go from a crazy carb fest to a veggie fest with only WW stuffing as a carb. I'm looking forward to trying the green bean casserole from the SBD cookbook then. For Christmas, I'm looking forward to SBDing a couple of great recipes for our party appetizers, and to sharing some great SBD faves with friends. I believe we will not be making cookies this year as we usually do...perhaps I'll make a baked good that is SBD friendly that I can share with others.

I love this way of eating, I plan on doing it for life, and I know that it's healthy and good. So I feel no guilt on imposing it on those around me...and I bet they enjoy it as much as I do!

I know that I can rely on good frozen veggies and fruit, and think there are lots of great winter dishes we can all enjoy...we just have to ferret them out. Get hunting, chicks! Let's meet back at the recipe boards and post like crazy! :

Thanks for the idea to do this, WendyJo...I hadn't even started thinking about winter yet! And thanks to wise Ellis who figured out how to start some threads on the recipe boards and put them there for us. Let's fill them up!
  • Quote: The hardest thing I've found is finding something to thicken stews and casseroles. Oh yeah - and I miss my cheesy sauces on veges.
    Chick, you can always use WW flour...I know that you are staying away from starch, but you don't have to use much flour...just a tablespoon or two for a whole pot of stew...that can't have much of an effect, I would think.

If that doesn't work for you, maybe you can try Arrowroot. I don't know if it is SBD friendly, but it is good at thickening things over heat. I find it in the spice section. It's a white powder. Ruth, any idea if it would be safe on SBD?

Also, for cheesy sauce, try using some Velveeta (not the light...it has sugar in it) and a little 1% milk to thin it, so you don't use much. Or you can use red. fat cheese and melt it in a little milk to make a cheesy sauce. Yum!
  • Beachgal - I can't remember where I read it but I did read that Arrowroot was fine for thickening. I use WW flour most of the time when it calls for enriched flour as a thickener. If it calls for cornstarch I may use either WW flour or Arrowroot depending on how much it calls for.

I'll definitely post the stuffing recipe when I get a chance (probably this weekend). There are probably a few other things that should be altered since it uses the giblets (cooked and diced) and I know that organ meats are not allowed since they are too high in fat. Maybe I should try a half recipe of the stuffing in a chicken ahead of time to come up with a South Beach variation before Thanksgiving. We have no family here but we invite over a slew of friends so we usually have 15 or 20 people for Thanksgiving. Most of them are on diets (or should be) so it will be good for them to eat healthier too.
  • Quote: Also, for cheesy sauce, try using some Velveeta (not the light...it has sugar in it) and a little 1% milk to thin it, so you don't use much. Or you can use red. fat cheese and melt it in a little milk to make a cheesy sauce. Yum!

I quickly read this post and the first thing I thought was red cheese, I wonder where I can find this and what does it taste like....then I saw the (.) and fat...shoot not a new cheese, reduced fat. :duh:
  • Oh oh oh oh...I am so excited about this thread. I am the turkey day gal for our family and it is my FAVORITE holiday. And my bro and SIL are doing WW and lord knows the whole family could use a healthier meal.

Now my turkey is fresh from a farm, so I do not use butter or baste or anything. Cooks itself. YUM, can you see me drooling through your computer?

I will pull out my stuffing recipe tonight and check it out.

I am so excited...
  • Quote: I quickly read this post and the first thing I thought was red cheese, I wonder where I can find this and what does it taste like....then I saw the (.) and fat...shoot not a new cheese, reduced fat. :duh:

Sarah, I do things like that all the time! I think it is awesome that you are so willing to try something new! The only red cheese I know of is port wine cheese. Now that stuff is gooood!

BTW, speaking of cheese, one thing we usually have a Christmas is a cheese platter, and I spent some time in the grocery store gourmet cheese section a couple weeks ago, hunting down some good choices for December. There are a few that are surprisingly low in fat but look very yummy! One is a port wine cheddar. Can't wait to taste it, though I bet the port wine is a bit too sweet to really be OP on SBD. Ruth, what do you think on that?
  • My family always uses those little bits of bread that became dry and not yummy. We freeze them, and then for Thanksgiving, they come out of hiding. My mom used chicken stock to soften the bread. But then again, we are portuguese, and our Thanksgiving is a portuguese take on a US tradition, so I am not certain that our stuffing is the norm. She sautees olive oil and celery and onion, then adds some ground beef- turkey for us SBD, and she uses portuguese sausage- turkey sausage for us, and a boiled egg, and lots of parsely, and it is delish!!!! I am definitely going to be super good before Thanksgiving so I can enjoy!

Also, I will look thru some of my cookbooks- I know Williams-Sonoma has some very healthy sounding stuffing in the Holiday Celebrations book. ( I am obsessed with cookbooks.)

I am really glad that this is starting early, I think the key is to plan ahead, and maybe even try to recipes early, and then get psyched up for them.

Also, for Xmas cookies, I saw a recipe for SBD sugar cookies. They can prolly be decorated nicely- had anyone tried to add a bit of food coloring to Splenda? Also, I saw a recipe for PB cookies, which while not traditional certainly sound yummy!

Thanks!
  • I agree that we need to plan ahead and try stuff out before we actually serve it to people. When I first found out I was diabetic it was about a week before Thanksgiving, so I made all these no/low sugar recipes and desserts and to be honest, almost all of them sucked! I don't want that to happen again.

Now, about trying to make an existing recipe OP - I have a real doozy. I am Pennsylvania Dutch, and our traditional stuffing (we call it filling) basically consists of potato bread cubes and mashed potatos mixed together with some sauted onions, eggs and about a pound of butter. Now how on earth do I make that OP???? And please do not say substitute mashed cauliflower for the potatoes!!!