3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   SBD Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions-115/)
-   -   Smart Balance (not just butter) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/152504-smart-balance-not-just-butter.html)

mistypaw 09-26-2008 03:54 PM

Smart Balance (not just butter)

I need to do phase one, and I was wondering as I went shopping about the Smart Balance products.

I know I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray is ok, but what about the Smart Balance Light butter? What about their oil? Or their Mayonnaise and Peatnut butter (which granted I foresee no use for until phase 2, but while I'm asking..)?

Ruthxxx 09-26-2008 05:38 PM

Could you post the Smart Balance Ingredients? We don't get that up here so I can't have an opinion. I think it's OK but......

ladybugnessa 09-26-2008 05:49 PM

smart balance buttery spread is fine

the peanut butter is not good and i'm not sure about the mayo.

cottagebythesea 09-26-2008 07:14 PM

Here are the ingredients for Smart Balance mayonnaise -

WATER, BLEND OF NATURAL OILS (CANOLA, SOYBEAN, FLAXSEED AND OLIVE OILS), VINEGAR, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, FOOD STARCH MODIFIED *, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL PLANT STEROLS*, EGG WHITES, TAPIOCA MALTODEXTRIN*, XANTHAN GUM*, SALT, INACTIVATED YEAST*, LEMON JUICE, MUSTARD, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA*, SODIUMBENZOATE*, SODIUM ACID SULFATE*, TBHQ* AND POTASSIUM SORBATE* TO PROTECT FLAVOR, VITAMIN E ACETATE*, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA AND BETA-CAROTENE COLOR*.
*INGREDIENTS NOT IN REGULAR MAYONNAISSE

There seem to be a lot of additives in it. The amount of sugar must be minimal, since it's not listed on the nutritional panel, so that's OK, but it does have modified food starch and tapioca in it. I wonder why?
I'd stick with a brand that only has the ingredients that are necessary and I can pronounce!

zeffryn 09-29-2008 08:26 AM

Smart Balance peanut butter is YUCK!

beachgal 09-29-2008 09:24 AM

:welcome3: Mistypaw! Love your avatar!

There's no reason to save mayonnaise and peanut butter (natural only!) for Phase 2. You can safely use both in Phase 1. In fact, Peanut butter is one of the ingredients in the well-loved Peanut Butter Cup recipe (see Phase 1 desserts in the recipe forum).

I don't remember the ingredients, but I think the Smart Balance Peanut Butter is SBD-safe. However, it tastes really gross, IMHO. :p

I use the light and regular Smart Balance buttery spreads all the time, though. The light doesn't work well in cooking/baking, as it has a lot of water, but it's great on things, like veggies and bread. I use the regular for cooking and baking.

ladybugnessa 09-29-2008 09:28 AM

ummm not if it's the omega 3 blend these are the ingredients

PEANUTS, NATURAL OIL BLEND (FLAXSEED AND PALM OILS), SALT, MOLASSES

the only thing that should be in peanut butter for SBD purposes is peanuts and maybe salt.

beachgal 09-30-2008 09:39 AM

Good point, Nessa. The Molasses makes it unsafe. The oils are okay, IMHO.

ladybugnessa 09-30-2008 09:42 AM

Palm oil is semisolid at room temp and is high in saturated fats. I don't consider palm oil a good oil. maybe i'm wrong.