Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Beachify this recipe???

So I've been dying to try this recipe for a while now and keep forgetting about it...and I was thinking about it the other day and am pretty sure I can "beachify" it, but wanted some opinions. So here goes...

Quote:
Grilled Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwich with Roasted Red Onion Mayo
Recipes courtesy Paula Deen, 2007

Ingredients
Sandwich:
* 2 slices (1/2-inch-thick) sourdough, multigrain or another hearty bread
* 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp
* 4 slices Cheddar
* 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored, sliced thin
* Roasted Red Onion Mayo, recipe follows
* Butter

Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat. Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo, then top with 2 slices Cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices, then 2 more slices of Cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread. Butter the outsides of the bread and transfer to the hot grill. Grill about 3 minutes per side, since this sandwich is so thick. Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.

Roasted Red Onion Mayo:
* 1 medium red onion, chopped
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* Salt and pepper
* 1 cup mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped. Add the mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.

Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy
So I figured I could if I replace the sourdough w/ rye (I didn't see sourdough listed as approved but I could be wrong), use turkey bacon, and use reduced fat cheddar and butter flavored cooking spray (or trans-fat free margarine) I'll be good. Sound about right???

Last edited by Natasha1534; 07-09-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Damn typos!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This shouldn't be too hard to "Beachify." I put the SBD friendly substitutions in Bold, beside the original recipe.

* 2 slices (1/2-inch-thick) sourdough, multigrain or another hearty bread You could use sourdough or a 100% whole wheat bread, but I wouldn't use thick slices
* 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp Substitute turkey bacon, or, even better, Canadian bacon
* 4 slices Cheddar substitute a good lowfat sharp cheddar cheese
* 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored, sliced thin
* Roasted Red Onion Mayo, recipe follows
* Butter spray the bread slices with I Can't Believe It's Not Better Spray

Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat. Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo, then top with 2 slices Cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices, then 2 more slices of Cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread. Butter the outsides of the bread and transfer to the hot grill. Grill about 3 minutes per side, since this sandwich is so thick. Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.

Roasted Red Onion Mayo:
* 1 medium red onion, chopped
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* Salt and pepper
* 1 cup mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped. Add the mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #3  

Ahhhhh, so sourdough IS okay then??? I'm still learning some of this stuff. I just figured out yesterday that I had been abstaining from my beloved ranch dressing for no good reason.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Even if it's RF, 4 slices of cheddar in one sandwich is a bit much too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #5  

LOL...yeah, I would prob just use 1 slice. 4 slices is WAY too much assuming we mean bread-sized slices.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #6  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

I find now that if I grate cheese instead of slicing it, using the tiny holes on the grater. it LOOKS like there is a tremendous amount when there's not. DH is easily fooled.
This sandwich sounds really good.
I'm not eating apples or bread yet but maybe in a week.
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #7  

I've heard it's fantastic. I was thinking, for some reason, that it was black forest ham she used on the sandwich instead of bacon...don't know why I thought that, though. I was actually thinking about doing it w/ Canadian bacon instead of ham...now I'm debating the Canadian bacon vs. turkey bacon.