Canned peaches?

• I bought some canned peaches for my lunch and was really careful about how they were packed. The ingredients are: peaches, water and pear juice concentrate. I've never been quite sure what a concentrate is - does anyone know if it has sugar? In the meantime I'm taking it in my lunch today, we'll see if it has a negative effect. (I crash fairly quickly after lunch if I eat non-SBD type foods). Thank you for any comments!
  • Hi Elisabeth... hmmm, I tried to Google it, and came up with nuthin...but it would seem to me that it is full strength juice from pears..and will have natural sugars in them. I would rinse them thoroughly and see how you react to them.
  • Pear juice is often used to sweeten foods that do not have added sugar or artificial sweeteners because pears are so sweet. There is pear juice in the applesauce cups I buy my kids and I have noticed it in other canned fruits as well. I always buy the "packed in their own juices" fruits also.

Pear juice concentrate would just simply be pear juice that has some of the water removed to make it more flavorful, and hence sweeter for sweetening the peaches. (Like when you buy frozen juices in concentrate and then have to add water to make them regular strength.)

Hope that helps!

Kara
  • Thank you, ladies!