Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 199/194/150

Height: 5'7"

I love veggies. But to get my DD and DS to eat them I puree them in just about everything. You can puree: sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, peas, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots. I put pureed broccoli in my taco meat and my kids have no idea. Pureed cauliflower in their mac n cheese. Sweet potatoes and carrots in the spaghetti sauce and homemade pizza sauce.

Of course some of these things we wouldn't eat on SBD.
jenny515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

I get my son to eat vegetables by changing the name to dino trees or by telling him that Indiana Jones eats it, but I guess that trick won't help with adults. I love vegetables, it is hard to relate. Is it possible to check in with yourself after a veggieful meal and notice that you feel lighter and more refreshed than you otherwise would? Pureed vegetable soups might help.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #18  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny515 View Post
I love veggies. But to get my DD and DS to eat them I puree them in just about everything. You can puree: sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, peas, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots. I put pureed broccoli in my taco meat and my kids have no idea. Pureed cauliflower in their mac n cheese. Sweet potatoes and carrots in the spaghetti sauce and homemade pizza sauce.
Jenny, that's exactly the premise behind Deceptively Delicious. She tells you how to puree stuff easily and quickly, then gives you recipes using the purees. We also tried a great SBD-friendly couscous recipe (try it with WW couscous) and the Sloppy Joes (which we had on WW buns). Both were great!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Jenny, that's exactly the premise behind Deceptively Delicious. She tells you how to puree stuff easily and quickly, then gives you recipes using the purees. We also tried a great SBD-friendly couscous recipe (try it with WW couscous) and the Sloppy Joes (which we had on WW buns). Both were great!
I'm heading over to eBay to pick up the book now. I've been wanting too since I saw the Mozzarella Stick recipe posted here.

Just out of curiosity, are there many recipes in the book that can NOT be converted to SB friendly versions?
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #20  

I don't like raw veggies without dips and can't stand any of the fat free ones I have tried. I created this one which makes me really enjoy fresh veggies everyday for a snack because you can have so much of it!

1 cup fat free cottage cheese
2 tbsp any program salad dressing (I use green goddess)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Blend in blender or with hand mixer until creamy.
dannab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #21  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Pureeing does nothing to the fiber content (unless you would strain it and throw away the solids).
Wow, that's really good to know! I couldn't figure out if that was the case or not, but your explanation makes perfect sense. Very cool. I have an older book kicking around somewhere that may or may not be the Deceptively Delicious book everyone's talking about. I haven't really looked at it in years, but I'll dig it out soon and give this a try. ETA: Just remembered the one I have is called "Stealth Health"... will post again after I find it, if it's any good.

The roasting idea is great too. I've been doing that with chickpeas, but I will have to try it with other stuff too. Anyone have a link to step-by-step instructions, maybe with pictures? I never can get the chickpeas seasoned evenly, so I'd love to 'see' how it's done right.

After reading in Kalyn's Kitchen today about how insanely nutritious spinach is, I'm trying to think of how I can get more into my diet - especially since it's also pretty dang cheap if you buy it frozen ($1.50/lb at my stores).

Last edited by Betsi; 03-28-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #22  
I can do this!

Betsi, here are a couple of links to instructions on roasting veggies:

Wegman's, with photos and a video

From Martha Stewart's How-To With Allie: Roasting Vegetables

How to make roasted vegetables and sausage (step-by-step with photos for each step)

I'll do spinach for my next Veggie of the Month. There's TONS you can do with it, Betsi!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #23  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

We have been buying the pre-cut bags of broccoli & cauliflower. I spray the pan, toss the veggies on, drizzle a little EVOO over them and roast at 400-425. After 30 minutes I turn and sprinkle salt then roast another 25-30 minutes. We can eat 2 12 oz bags with dinner! They are so good and soooo easy
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 364/363/200

Height: 5'4"

It isn't a perfect solution but they are now making some juices that contain a full serving of veggies but they also have fruit and taste sweet. I personally hate V8 hate it. But some of these combo juices are good.
madamruppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Those juices are veggie juices mixed with fruit juices I think, so they wouldn't be on-plan.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #26  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamruppy View Post
It isn't a perfect solution but they are now making some juices that contain a full serving of veggies but they also have fruit and taste sweet. I personally hate V8 hate it. But some of these combo juices are good.
Thanks for the idea, Madamruppy. Unfortunately, that won't work on SBD--we can't drink the fruit juice as it raises blood sugar too high. Plus, you get far more from eating your veggies (and getting the fiber in them) than from drinking them anyway. So if you don't like V8, don't drink it--just eat the veggies instead!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #27  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am not a beacher but wanted to jump in the water for minute!

Literally, I make a point to buy the nicest looking and cheapest fresh veggies possible. I don't care if I have ever eaten them before or whether or not I like them. This way, I am saving money and getting a nice variety. Plus, there are tons of recipes for veggies here and on the net--I just look until I find something plausible.

This week I have blackberries--.88 each, green beans--.67 pound, strawberries--1.47, cauliflower--2.00, bananas--always inexpensive here, indian eggplant--.99 pound--and sweet potatoes--forget now but inexpensive. I also bought baby spinach in the bag--gosh that stuff is expensive but I buy it because I know we need it.

Did everyone else see the study out recently that said taking vitamins and supplements didn't reduce chances for getting cancers? All the more reason for us to be cramming in the veggies.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #28  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

ive noticed that i had to be adventurous and try different veggies to help me lose weight. i never would have tried zuccini but now that i have i found when cooked and season just right i can eat any veggies... well except lima beans i hated that as a kid and still refuse to eat them ... lol
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/135

Height: 5'0"

Tiara how do you fix your zuccini?
I see you ar from Hawaii my daugther just moved there this past July
mystical is offline   Reply With Quote