3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Salads and Sides (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/salads-sides-147/)
-   -   How do you season steamed vegetables? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/salads-sides/234817-how-do-you-season-steamed-vegetables.html)

Kasey87 06-04-2011 12:36 PM

How do you season steamed vegetables?

Plain steamed veggies can be so boring sometimes. I'm not the best in the kitchen, so I'd like to find some good methods to seasoning vegetables. I'm thinking sauces or I guess some fresh herbs? I just have no idea what would go well with what. I am not really a picky eater.

What are some of yalls favorite ways to eat steamed veggies?

We roast a lot of veggies with just olive oil, salt and pepper and that always turns out really good, but we're wanting to switch things up occasionally.

Ally Michelle 06-04-2011 12:54 PM

Asparagus in the oven with olive oil and salt/pepper is the best! Yum.
I like to just hit the produce section to see which herbs are fresh and in season. The best way is through experimenting :)
Another great way to add flavor is when you heat up your olive oil, to add some fresh garlic.

And congrats on your weight loss!

Kasey87 06-07-2011 02:07 PM

Asparagus is one of my favorites, it's SO good. I like heating olive oil and then adding garlic for greens. I've seen people add red pepper flakes on the food network so I'll have to try that too.

Experimenting with fresh herbs is something I've never done. Sounds so simple, but I just get lazy sometimes and go for the familiar :/ I will have to give it a try soon.

Thanks Ally!

tommy 06-07-2011 02:21 PM

One thing I like to do is mix various vegetables. A few peas tossed in with the spinach provides a sweet contrast for example.

Also "steaming" is not necessarily the only low cal option. I use a pan with a tight fitting lid and only add enough water to let the vegetables cook - no water remaining at the end. I think this is better than throwing out the nutrients with the excess water. You have to keep on it so that you do not scorch them.

An easy trick is to use parmesan cheese (even the green can!) as the salt to season your vegetables before serving. Just toss a teaspoon or so with the hot vegetables.

You can also start any vegetable prep with onion or onion & garlic. I like to slice in thin half moons rather than dicing. The onion becomes more a vegetable than a seasoning to my taste. In a non stick skillet or one sprayed with cooking spray or even in a bit of oil. Then add your vegetable like maybe summer squash in slices and cover, stirring now and again. If you get the onions a bit caramelized not much more than a touch of salt is needed.

Fresh herbs can be pricey. Consider getting a pot of basil - many markets now sell them for the same price as a bunch- but because it is still alive it will last a few weeks. Basil is great with summer squash.

A tiny splash of balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of citrus (lemon, orange, whatever you have) brightens up most vegetables.

Good luck!

AnnieDrews 06-09-2011 12:19 PM

Grated lemon (or lime or orange, for that matter) rind over steamed veg is good. Then also squeeze the juice. Freshly ground black pepper...there really is a big differnce in the freshly ground over the powdered kind from the can. I also use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and a light sprinkle of garlic powder, too. Good on green beans.

Kasey87 06-11-2011 10:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Tommy and Annie. Those all sound really good. I will be trying some out tomorrow.

Tommy- I like your alternative to steaming veggies. Never thought to do that.

ready4skinny 06-11-2011 11:15 PM

Also dry some of the salt free Mrs. Dash, they have lemon pepper, and a dill one...I love those. They can also be used in chicken/tuna salad, and on meat before you grill or bake.....

bellaella 06-11-2011 11:34 PM

i use a garlic seasoning.. its premixed with dried garlic and herbs and its really yummie!! i don tknow the brand/name but it comes in a large (or small) plastic rectangular jar with i believe a red or orange shake lid..

I LOVE GARLIC!!

JigglyBits 06-13-2011 12:38 PM

tsp olive oil + salt + pepper + lots o' lemon juice = yum!!

you can chop up some cilantro or a pinch of cumin and sprinkle it on the veggies too for variation.

Lovely 06-13-2011 12:49 PM

For roasted vegetables I use simply olive oil, salt and pepper.

Steamed veggies I dash on a little Lemon Pepper. From time to time a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

mimi86 06-13-2011 03:02 PM

I use a smidge of garlic, or lemon/lime juice with a pinch of salt or pepper!

Pattience 01-26-2014 08:22 AM

I don't like steamed veggies much so i try to avoid them and cook my veggies in all sorts of other ways.

However my suggestions are 1 tbsp of tzatziki or even plain yoghurt. Tzatziki is yoghurt with garlic in it.

You can eat your veggies cold and put a dressing on them made with 1 tsp olive oil and 1tsp red wine vinegar, crushed black pepper.

You can add a fine sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.

Or you can turn your steamed veggies into a big warm salad with chick peas and other legumes and make a whole dish out of it. I'm posting my legume salad in another thread which i might call big satisfying low cal salad meal!