Chinese Cabbage Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

• This is yum! I made this with a grilled chicken breast and reserved a bit of the dressing to pour on top of the chicken. It's great for chinese cravings. This makes about 3 servings.

Salad:
    -4 C thinly sliced Chinese Cabbage (Napa Cabbage)
    -1/2 C grated jicama
    -1 medium carrot grated (P2)
    -3 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
    -1/4 C chopped cilantro (optional)
    -1/4 C chopped peanuts (toasted if you want to get fancy)

Dressing:
    -1 T dark sesame oil
    -2 T rice wine vinegar (or any white vinegar)
    -2 T lite shoyu sauce
    -1/2 T red pepper flakes
    -1/2 T finely grated ginger (I keep the jared stuff in the fridge)
    -1/2 T peanut butter
    -1/4 C peanuts, very finely chopped or pulsed once or twice in a food processor

Toss salad ingredients in a big bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together an dpour over salad. Toss again and enjoy. The dressing is thick and doesn't make a lot but it's very flavorful so you'll really taste it.

There are 205 calories per serving. Not sure of the carb/fat/protein but all of the ingredients are SBD approved. I'd make sure to include the peanuts as your daily allowance of nuts though.
  • Had this for lunch today. Cut the salad & dressing in half. It was perfect for this warm day. I also added some chicken breast that I had seasoned with ginger, corriander, S&P. So yummy!!!
  • That sounds absolutely delicious, especially since I love asian food and I love the peanut sauces! I will cut out the carrot and add chopped cucumber perhaps for Phase 1.

Where would I find jicama, do you think it'd be in the Walmart grocery section?
  • Melanie- you should be able to find jicama at Walmart grocery. It's usually towards the top shelves. They are light brownish and about the size of a grapefruit. The flesh is white. It has a nice crunchy, mild flavor that kind of reminds me of a radish without any bite.

Jicama is also great to use with dips like hummus.

HTH!