Topic 3 - Would You Rather?

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • FWIW, because I was feeling like a bit of a freak being the only one here that would take disability over obesity, I asked this question at another weight loss forum I participate at in their subforum for those that have or have had more than 100 lbs to lose:

If you had to choose between being permanently obese at your top weight or having some other permanent disability such as being deaf, dyslexia, diabetes, bad acne, heart disease, a leg amputated or being blind, which would you choose?

Completely unscientific, granted, but I got 4 people prefering obesity to disability, 3 that would take any of the listed disabilities over obesity, 3 people that would take any of the listed disabilities except blindness over obesity, 2 that would choose any of the listed disabilities except blindness & amputation over obesity and 3 that agreed to take a specific disability (1 dyslexia and 2 deafness) over obesity.
  • Valerie -- Interesting!
  • There were 2 "weirdness quizzes" floating around the internet a while ago. A group of friends of mine took it.

One of the questions was "would you rather gain 50 lbs (or 100 lbs in the other quiz) or get run over by a truck" I was amazed at the number who chose get run over by a truck. This isnt statistics, these are just my friends, about 30 women all 25-40. Well more than half would rather get run over by a truck. "as long as I am not killed or paralyzed" but I didnt think that was implicit in the question that you could count on that.
  • In that scenario... Has it occurred to them that even without ending up paralyzed, they could end up crippled for long enough a period until full recovery that they'd be bed-ridden and gain weight as well?
  • We could try a poll here at 3FC.
  • Quote: It seems logical to follow up on our first two topics of unattainably thin body weight ideals and prejudice against obesity with this study about the formerly obese. I have to say that this passage blew my mind when I first read it:

The obvious question is -- how would you answer the question? And why? Why do you think the researcher got the responses she did?

I'm still trying to figure out what I would say.
    I will admit I haven't gone through all 5 pages of this thread, in fact, I only went through the 1st page. Two things caught my eyes, deaf, diabetes.

Starting with deaf. I have been a relay operator for the deaf for the past 2+ years. I have dealt with very abusive people, both hearing and deaf. I have been called names by both parties. Although at this stage, I would definitely know how to use the telephone system, I have developed many prejudices against the deaf. I will not list them here. Besides, music has always been very important to me, I cannot phantom losing the ability to hear my favorite 80's tune. But, then again, technologies have really advanced, as cochlear implants have come along. Maybe by the time I was deaf, that would be reversable.

As for diabetes, well I already got that. I have mentioned here that I am very thankful that I was diagnosed with diabetes, as for the the 1st time in my life I am in control of my body instead of my body in control over me. It sucks that I have to prick myself daily, but this pricking tells me alot. Even though the pricking is based on the carbohydrates I had prior, it also tells me, and reminds me of the amount of calories I had. When my blood sugar level is unacceptable to me, then I know I did a bad thing. If I was told that I was no longer diabetic, I would continue to prick myself.

I guess I would chose to be obese again, at least I wold have more knowledge on what I have to do to lose the weight. Obesity is curable through diet, diseases can only be controlled by drugs.
  • Quote: In that scenario... Has it occurred to them that even without ending up paralyzed, they could end up crippled for long enough a period until full recovery that they'd be bed-ridden and gain weight as well?
    that was my argument exactly! put me in the hospital for a month and I'd gain 50.