Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #1  

Default Sugarbusters Quarterly Recipe Board Jan - March 2006

Please post your Sugarbusters recipes here!

All recipes should be legal for Sugarbusters and not require ingredients that are not allowed on the program. If you are not sure it is legal, please don't post it!

Thanks!

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #2  
Addicted to potato salad!

Thumbs up Quick Cassoulet!

Quick Cassoulet
or
Italian Stew (what I call it because I can't relate to the word 'cassoulet')

This is from my Rachael Ray cookbook. It is soooo good and satisfying, especially on cold nights like I get up here in the North Country!! It's also slightly modified to suit my needs...

Ingredients:

2 - 4 boneless chicken breasts (depending on the size)
2 - 4 sweet italian sausages (depending on how much you like italian sausage)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white cooking wine
1 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
6 - 12 good shakes of thyme (depending on how much you like thyme...or how much 'thyme' you have on your hands )
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (or cut up one large fresh tomato)
1 14 oz can chicken broth

Okay...so dice the chicken into bite-size pieces. Heat a deep pot on medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp evoo. Add chicken and whole sausages (they slice better when slightly cooked). Brown for 5 minutes and remove from pan. Add another tbsp evoo and carrots, celery and onions. Saute for 5 mins. Add garlic. Douse the pan with the white wine and scrape up all the good bits of gunk on the pot. Add beans, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper, tomatoes and broth. Slice the sausages into bite-size pieces. Return chicken and sausage to the pot to finish cooking. Bring dish to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for at least ten minutes. Discard bay leaf and enjoy with some yummy sourdough or WW bread and butter.

This recipe is doubly as good after it's sat in the fridge overnight. Save leftovers for lunch or just make this the night before and serve for dinner heated up the next day! I think this is a great source of protien AND veggies!! Feel free to add more veggies if you want...I think zuccini or summer squash would be great to be added in as long as it doesn't soak over night? Add it when you heat it up or just before you want to eat it. And it's great comfort food for those that are sick to death of chili! Like me!!

Enjoy!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Taco Soup

Brown 1 pound ground turkey or beef w/ some chopped onion. I added a little olive oil to keep the onion from burning cause there is almost no fat in the turkey. Add 1 package of taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water (I dont know if this is legal because it has some starch and maltodextrin, if not replace w/ ground cumin). In large pot, add 1 large can no sugar added tomato sauce plus one can water, 1 can diced tomatoes w/ juice, 1 small can green chilis, 1 can red beans (drained and rinsed) and the browned ground meat. I also added a few dashes each of onion powder, garlic powder, ground red pepper, black pepper and a few dashes of tabasco for seasoning....I'm trying to cut back on salt. Let simmer for about an hour. Top w/ a little shredded cheese. It was very quick and easy to prepare! Made a nice size pot so we will get a few more meals out of it.
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote