3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes-89/)
-   -   SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002 SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARDS (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes/14779-sugar-busters-april-may-june-2002-second-quarter-recipe-boards.html)

Debelli 03-28-2002 08:03 AM

SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002 SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARDS

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002, SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARD

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB LEGAL. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB LEGAL, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

JANUARY/FEBRUARY/MARCH 2002 FIRST QUARTER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=12046

DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BAORD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...839#post133441

NOVEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10560

OCTOBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9786

SEPTEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9038

AUGUST 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=7953

JULY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=6987

JANUARY-JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARDS:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=13439

YEAR 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=12700

If you find a bad link to any of the recipe boards, please take a moment to let me know so I can fix the problem. THANKS!

http://members.aol.com/eldemila/recipes.jpg

Trishaloo 03-28-2002 12:32 PM

Easy Asparagus

This is an easy and quick side dish to make.

1 bunch of fresh asparagus, cleaned
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of olive oil
1 tsp of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter with the olive oil. Throw in the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until desired doneness. I like to leave mine really crunchy, really just heated through. Pour in the lemon juice. Saute about 20 seconds longer. Eat and enjoy.

You can vary the seasonings if you like, adding garlic or fresh herbs. I like to add some cajun seasonings.

YellowRose 04-03-2002 10:34 AM

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread For The Bread Machine

Recipe By : Sweet Talk Board
Serving Size : 24
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal

3 3/4 Cups Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
4 Tablespoons Splenda
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds

1 1/2 Cups Milk -- Warmed
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Package Active Dry Yeast

Put the oatmeal into the 1/2 cup of water and set aside.

In a bowl, place all the dry ingredients (flour, wheat gluten, salt, Splenda, walnuts, sunflower seeds). Mix together.

In the bread container, put in the milk and olive oil. Add the soaked oatmeal then the dry ingredients. Make a little well in the flour mixture and put in the yeast. Set the machine on dough. When the cycles are completed, take the dough out of the container and knead until springy. Place in a greased 1 1/2 pound bread pan and put in a warm place to let the dough rise again for about 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The bread should sound hollow when tapped if it is done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : 3 tablespoons of powdered dry milk ( not instant) and 1 1/2 cups of water can be substituted for the 1 1/2 cups of milk.

The walnuts, sunflower seeds and oatmeal are optional. If you decide not to use the oatmeal, however, be sure to still use the water or substitute milk.

Ellen 04-04-2002 12:45 PM

Jamaican Beef Patties

I got this recipe from a dear Jamaican friend. I have made them with white flour for years, and decided to try to adapt them for Sugarbusters last night for dinner. I expected my picky kids to complain about the ww flour crust, but no one even noticed! Ask your butcher for the suet. Trim any meat off it, and partially freeze, then coarsely chop it and put into the food processor. When it resembles coarse meal, stop. Don't over process, or it will get too soft and the consistency of crisco. I put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer, measuring out what I need.

Filling:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 T thyme
2-3 scallions minced
2 scotch bonnet peppers
1 t salt
1 cup ww bread crumbs

Mix the beef, salt, thyme and scallions. VERY carefully mince the peppers, discarding the seeds and webbing. DO NOT touch your face, mouth or eyes until after you have washed your hands thoroughly, as these peppers are really really hot! If you don't like spicy, use only one, or a habanero instead. Mix the minced pepper with the beef. Cook over medium low heat without water or grease until meat is cooked. Add breadcrumbs and cook about 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool.

Pastry:

1 1/2 cups finely minced suet. (partially freeze and put in a food processor)
1 t salt
1 t paprika (for color)
4 cups sg ww pastry flour

Mix well, then add:

2/3 - 1 cup ice water

Mix until it can form a crumbly ball. If too dry, add more ice water. Put in an airtight bag in the fridge until ready to assemble.

To assemble:

Roll dough VERY thin. Cut into about 6 inch circles. (I use a lid to a small saucepan, and it works great!) Put about two tablespoons of the meat mix on one side of the round. Use a bit of water on the edges to help seal. Fold over the meat to bring edges together, and press with a fork to seal. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes about 36, or make 4-5 dozen smaller cocktail size (four inch circle).

You can also make these with chicken. Use a bit of curry powder with the chicken.

Quivondra 04-11-2002 11:16 PM

Ok. Is it not totally the perfect time to grow some basil and make some pesto? So summery..

This is from Somersizing:

Basil Pesto

1 or more garlic cloves
3 tbls. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, stems removed
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, stems removed
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

To a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the garlic, butter, white pepper, and nutmeg. With the processor running, add the parmesan, then the basil and the parsley. Trickle the oil into the processor until the sauce is smooth. If necessary, add a little hot water to the sauce in order to reach the desired consistancy. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with whole wheat pasta.

optional: add walnuts and pine nuts

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 04-16-2002 06:33 PM

Storm's 2 minute Salsa recipe
Did I send out this salsa recipe already? I better do it again, just incase. Its too yummy to miss!
Slice up jicama like potato chips to dip in it! Heaven!

Salsa:
Mix in blender:
one bunch cilantro
four tomatoes
5 green onions
pinch of Cayenne powder
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt

(Substitute celery for tomatoes for green salsa!)

ENJOY

BOB

Ellen 04-17-2002 10:08 PM

Asian Asparagus Salad

1 lb fresh asparagus
1 T soy sauce (dark if available)
2 t sesame oil
1 t red wine vinegar
dash of splenda, or agave

Snap hard ends off asparagus, and slice diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces. Put asparagus pieces in boiling water for 1 minute, remove and rinse with cold water. Mix rest of ingredients together thoroughly, toss with cooked asparagus. Serve cold.

Ellen 04-17-2002 10:14 PM

Chinese style Ribs

2 pounds country style pork ribs
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 quarter size slices of ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled
water to cover

Put ribs in big pot, add rest of ingredients, just covering with water. Bring to a boil, let simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Cool.

Grill sauce:
1 T hoisin sauce ( the brand I get has 3 grams of sugar per serving)
1 t agave
1 T grated ginger
2 cloves garlic crushed, or grated
2 T soy sauce
2 T sesame oil

mix together well

Grill ribs over medium fire brushing lightly with grill sauce.

Ellen 04-17-2002 10:18 PM

Japanese Ginger Salad dressing

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 T chopped celery
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 T lemon juice
2 T grated ginger
2 T sugar free ketchup
2 T soy sauce
1 t agave
pinch of pepper

Put all ingredients in a blender jar and process until smooth. Serve on salad.

Debelli 04-18-2002 06:43 AM

BOB sent this to me in an e-mail from a site on the web-though it was worth posting on the board, sounds good, and easy!!!

GRILLED PERSIAN BEEF KEBABS

1 1/2 pounds Beef Tenderloin or Sirloin -- fat trimmed off
1 medium Onion -- cut in 1" pieces
3 tablespoons Lime juice
3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cracked Black Peppercorns
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter

Cut meat into 1" cubes; then cut each cube in half. Slide beef
squares onto skeweres through the 1/2"-edge of the meat; place on a shallow non-reactive platter.

Puree onion in food processor or blender; pour puree over kebabs, turning to coat both sides.

Douse kebabs with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, again turning to coat both sides. Marinate up to 1 hour at room temperature while grill is being prepared.

Grill kebabs until cooked to taste: 1-2 minutes each side. Transfer kebabs to platter; rub each with a little butter. Serve at once, using a pice of lavash (flat bread) to protect your hand as you slide the beef off the
skewer.

YellowRose 04-21-2002 08:31 AM

Smothered Cornish Game Hen

Serves 8

4 Whole Cornish Game Hens
4 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
4 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
3/4 Cup Sherry
Salt And Pepper

Prepare hens by cutting them in half and removing the skin on at least some. Place the hens in a baking dish. In a skillet add flour to butter and stir well. Slowly add broth and sherry. Cook until slightly thickened, blending and stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the hens. Cover and bake 350 degrees F. for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Uncover the last few minutes if you want more browning.
I turn the hens once during the cooking period and ocassionally baste them.If I want a really low fat meal, I skin the hens before cooking and also prepare the sauce without the butter.

Serve with cooked brown rice.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 04-21-2002 04:47 PM

Guacamole Dip

2 very ripe avocados
2 Tbsp. onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, cut fine
1/2 green pepper, cut fine
1 medium ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. lime or lemon juice

Halve the avocados, remove pits and scoop flesh into a glass container. Mash with a fork and blend in remaining ingredients. Serve as quickly as possible. Serve w/ fresh veggies.

BOB

Rosalie 04-24-2002 05:45 PM

LEBANESE RECIPES

Makmoora

1 savoy cabbage thinly sliced
1 large onion sliced
1 large leek thinly sliced
5 spring onions finely chopped
2 cups burghul (bulgur wheat)
3 cups chicken stock
1 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs ground cumin
2 chillies finely chopped
3 tbs olive oil for cooking
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs worcester sauce
Salt & pepper

Fry onions and leeks until soft. Add mixed spices, cumin, chilli, cabbage. Cover and fry on low heat for 10 mins stirring occasionally. Add burghul and stir in well. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, worcester sauce and lemon juice. Stir. The stock should just cover the burghul. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 10 mins. Check to see if the juices have evaporated. If burghul is not yet cooked, add 1/2 cup of water to it and allow to simmer for 10 more minutes. Switch off heat and leave to stand for 20 mins. Serve warm with salad.

Lamb Shawarma

1 kg boneless lamb shoulder
1 cup malt vinegar
2 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1/4 tspn. ground cardamon
1/4 cup yoghurt
Salt & pepper

Cut the meat into small thin slices. Marinate using all the above ingredients for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Put the meat with the marinade in an oven tray and bake covered in a hot oven for 1 hour, stirring once. Uncover and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes, or till the meat is well cooked. If desired, pour out the fat for a healtier option. Serve with sliced tomatoes, onions, and chopped parsley, rolled in a pitta bread topped with Taratour Sauce or Hummus. Serves 4 - 6.

Chicken Shawarma

8 chicken thighs
1/2 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1/4 tspn. ground cardamon
1/4 cup yoghurt
1 tbs oil
Salt & pepper

Slice the chicken. Marinate using all the above ingredients for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Put the chicken with the marinade in an oven tray and bake covered in a hot oven for 30 mins, turning once. Uncover and put back in the oven for 5 more minutes, or till the chicken is well cooked. If desired, pour out the fat for a healtier option. Serve with sliced tomatoes, onions, and chopped parsley, rolled in a pitta bread topped with Taratour sauce or Hummus. Serves 4.

Lebanese Mixed Spices

Allspice
Black pepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg
Fenugreek
Ginger

Mix together 1 tspn of each of above spices and store in covered jar.

All recipes from the following website.

http://www.lebaneserecipes.f9.co.uk/Lebanese.htm

Solly 04-25-2002 10:25 AM

Finally got around to typing these recipes. Hope you like them

Strawberry Jell-O Salad

2 C ground pretzels
1 ½ sticks of butter (melted)
2 8 oz cream cheese
2 C sugar (I used 1 cup agave)
1 carton of whipping cream
2 3oz package of strawberry Jell-O
2 C pineapple juice ( I used apple juice)
2 pkg of frozen strawberries ( I just used individual frozen strawberries and filled up the bowl). Do not thaw

Mix pretzel and melted butter. Press in a 9x13 pan. Bake 10 minutes @ 400. Cool completely
Mix cream cheese and agave. Spread over pretzels.
Whip cream, sweeten to taste with Splenda, etc. Spread over cheese.
Dissolve Jell-O in 2 C of boiling apple juice. Add strawberries. Stir until Jell-O becomes almost set.
Spoon Jell-O and strawberry mixture over whipped cream. Refrigerate.

[COLOR=blue]

Solly 04-25-2002 10:43 AM

Here's the Oven-Fried Chicken that I thought was so good.

Oven-Fried Chicken (from Cooking Light Magazine)

¼ C low-fat buttermilk (used skim)
2 chicken breast halves (about 1 pound skinned)
2 chicken drumsticks (about ½ pound skinned)
2 chicken thighs (about ½ pound skinned)
½ C all-purpose flour (used sgww)
1 t salt
½ t ground red pepper
¼ t white pepper
¼ t ground cumin
Cooking Spray

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 450.
3. Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour, lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
4. Place chicken on a baking sheet line with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.

1 serving = 1 breast half, or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick.
Calories 263, protein 38.4 g, carbs 14.9g, fiber 0.8 g, chol 11-mg, iron 2.2mg, sodium 754mg, calc 73mg.

I did not have any buttermilk nor the time to marinate to I put the ckicken in a bowl of skim milk while I prepared the flour mixture.
I did not have red or white pepper so I just used black and increase amount. I doubled the flour and used 3 breast halves and 6 drumsticks.

Hope you like it.

Ellen 04-25-2002 08:01 PM

Pon Pon or Hacked Chicken

This is a great appetizer. It can be made ahead, and it is served cold, or at room temperature.

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 quarter size piece of ginger
1 small onion peeled and quartered
2 stalks of celery with leaves

Bring a 4 quart pan of water to boil. Add ginger, onion, and celery. Let cook a few minutes, add chicken. Bring to a boil, then turn off and allow to sit for about 15 minutes until chicken is just done. Slice into 1/2 inch thick strips, set aside. Reserve broth for other uses.

Sauce:

3 T natural peanut butter
1 T Asian Sesame oil
1 T peanut oil
1 T soy sauce (dark if available)
1 T red wine vinegar
2 T grated ginger
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 green onion, minced with green tops too!
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 T. ground Szechwan peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon splenda, or agave

Mix in order given, to form a thick paste. Add a bit more sesame oil if too thick. Toss gently with chicken. Serve at room temperature.

(if you like hot stuff, add more red pepper- Szechwan peppercorns are available at Asian markets. It is good to toast them in a hot dry skillet before using. I keep them in a pepper grinder, and it works fairly well!)

Ellen 04-25-2002 08:08 PM

Egg Drop Soup

I hope I did not post this already...I can't remember, and I did not see it...so here goes!

To serve 8:

6 cups chicken broth
1 small head of nappa, sliced crossways into 1/2 inch thick strips
2 green onions minced
1 T ww pastry flour
2 eggs, beaten with a dash of salt

Bring broth to a boil, add nappa, and green onions. You can add any other vegetables that you would like, such as strips of carrots, pea pods, spinach leaves, or mushrooms. Remove about 1 cup of the broth, and mix in the flour bit by bit, until smooth. Add to the rest of the broth in the pan and bring to a boil. Once it thickens slightly, reduce heat, and begin to stir in a circle slowly. While stirring, add eggs in a thin stream. Once egg is set, serve immediately.

CountryMom4Him 04-26-2002 01:35 PM

Stuffed Bell Peppers

4 bell peppers
1 onion
1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
smoked sausage
1 can Rotel
1lb brown rice
2 small cans tomato sauce
Cajun Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Parmasan Cheese

Cut the tops off of the bells peppers. Clean and cut in half. Cook in the microwave till soft. In the mean time chop the leftover tops of bell peppers and onions. Add to the browning hamburger meat.
Cook until onions and peppers are tender. Add seasonings to taste. I add lots of garlic.

To the meat add the rotel, rice and enought water to almost cook the rice. When the rice has about 15 minutes left add the tomato sauce and sausage. (cut sausage into thin circles)

When done. Line a pan with a little of the rice mixture. Then lay the cooked bell peppers on top. Fill with the rest of the rice mixture. And top with a little parmasan cheese. Ready to serve.

Not low fat but very delicious.

Love,
Crystle

tree 04-27-2002 01:47 PM

San Bei Ji (3 cup chicken)

San Bei Ji (3 cup chicken) - from Taiwan.
This recipe doesn't use any oil (like others out there), although a little sesame oil can be drizzled on afterwards.

3 cups water
3 cups rice wine (not vinegar!)
2.5 cups red. sodium soy sauce
1 Herb package labeled "roast wine chicken" or similar ( at Oriental FS)
1 whole chicken cut up (I use 12 chicken legs)
BIG slices of ginger (for easy removal).
Add all ingred. in a big pot. Boil 1 hr on medium heat.

Good on the first day, but even better the second day.
Enjoy!

tree 04-28-2002 04:27 PM

Mulato Chili w/ Cocoa

Here's a recipe I found on a chile lover site -
Mulato Chili w/ Cocoa
4 dried mulato chiles (very HOT)
1 onion chopped
2 T oil
1 t cinnamon
1 t garlic salt
1 T oregano
1 T cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 lg cans stewed tomatoes
tomato juice for thinning

Add at end:
2 t unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 c cooked black beans

Soak chiles in hot water for 25min until soft. Saute onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic, chile, spices + stewed tomatoes w/ juice. Simmer 25min. Add cocoa powder and black beans. Stir well. If the chili is to thick, add tomato juice to desired consistency.

Really good - very filling. I didn't have the chiles, so I left them out. I used 1 15oz can of black beans. I only used 1 can of stewed tomatoes, and mixed in 1/2# cooked ground beef at the end. Enjoy :T

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 04-28-2002 07:10 PM

allah's sunrise

2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 c chopped white onion
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/2 poblano or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 jalapeno pepper, raw, seeded and cut into tiny stips
(retain the seeds and add for additional hotness!)
8 oz organic crushed tomatoes
2 tsp cayenne pepper or aleppo pepper
sea salt
2 large eggs
freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Heat and empty cast iron skillet dry on medium heat, then add the olive oil and saute the onions and sweet peppers until soft, about 5 mins, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Add the jalapeno and tomatoes and cook until the mixture just begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
Add the sleppo or cayenne pepper and some sea salt to taste and adjust the seasoning for your preference.
Break one egg at a time into a bowl and slide it into the skillet while the tomato and pepper mixtureis simmering. Cook for another 8 minutes, spooning the sauce over the eggs until they are set. Divide the dish in half and serve in individual bowls topped with black pepper.

Serves 2

per portion
Cal 197
Pro 9grm
carb 19grm
fat 10grm
sat 2.6 grm

Trishaloo 04-29-2002 04:11 PM

Crunchy Baked Chicken Tenders

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure of amounts here, but this is the kind of recipe that you can easily adjust to suit your own personal tastes. I created this by accident one day and the whole family loved it. The shredded wheat stayed really crispy.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
1/2 cup of low fat ranch dressing
1 cup of shredded wheat, crunched up into crumbs
1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
Seasonings of choice. I use salt, black pepper and cajun seasonings.

Marinate the chicken breasts in the ranch dressing for 30 minutes to an hour. Mix the cheese, shredded wheat, and seasonings together. Bread the chicken in the crumb mixture. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about a half hour.

CountryMom4Him 05-01-2002 12:42 PM

Salsa

Warning...this makes 1 gallon and is very addicting..:)

1 large can crushed tomatos (about 6 pounds)
1 cam mexican rotel
1 can Chipotle peppes(they are a roasted Jalapenos)
1 Jar pickled jalapenos

3 fresh jalapenos
1 extra large onion or two mediums
2 bell peppers
2 to 3 stalks of celery
3 heads of garlic diced or small jar of smoked garlic
5 teaspoons of sugar---use about 5 packs of splenda..it's suppose to be hot and sweet..so add a little more if you need too.
about 1/4 cup of water

Open the can of tomatos and put into pot with rotel. Chop all other ingredients. Be sure to use jalapeno juice. Probably about half the jar. I don't measure so not sure. Then add to pot. Cook till fresh veggies are tender. Cool and store in fridge. If you prefer a smooth salsa blend in the blender after cooled.

Hope your family enjoys it as much as mine.

Love,
Crystle

CountryMom4Him 05-01-2002 12:56 PM

Spicy Green Tomatos

2 chopped green tomatos
1 onion
1 jalapeno
garlic powder
A tad of olive oil

In a cast iron skillet put a tad of olive oil. Chop all ingredients into hot skillet and cook till just soft.

This can be served like a relish to go with food or as a side dish. I eat it as a meal. Very hot but refreshing summer dish.

Love,
Crystle

sef 05-01-2002 02:24 PM

MEXICAN CHICKEN DINNER

HiedieHo All!!!

I found this in a Reynolds Aluminum Foil ad. My family loves it!!

MEXICAN CHICKEN DINNER

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 c. chunky salsa (I've used regular at times, it's fine)
2/3 c. canned black beans or red kidney beans (we like black)
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese.

If making packets for the grill: Center each breast on a large piece of foil. Top with salsa, then beans. Close sides of foil to make a sealed packet. Grill 11-13 min. on a closed grill. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Serves 2

For my family I make 5 or 6 breasts in a roasting pan, top with appropriate amount of salsa and beans, cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 450' for approx. 20 min. or until done. Remove foil, top with cheese and serve.

We all know you can sub low fat cheese.

sef 05-01-2002 02:34 PM

HiedieHo All!!!

This is from RS Golden Edition Cookbook.

FRIENDLY GARLIC CHICKEN

3 Large heads of garlic (about 40 cloves)
2 T. plus 2 t. virgin olive oil
8 Chicken thighs skinned
1 c. chopped parsley
3/4 t. salt
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375'

Separate garlic into cloves. In a saucepan of rapidly boiling water, blanch garlic for 30 seconds.

Run garlic under cold water. Traim tops and bottoms of garlic and slip off skins.

Pour olive oil into a 3 to 4 qt. casserole with tight fitting lid. Add garlic and toss to coat with oil. Add chicken and turn to coat with oil. Scatter parsley over top and sprinkle with sale, pepper and nutmeg.

Cover and bake 1 hour.

Makes 8 servings.

I think the parsley negates the effects of the garlic. It is good.

Although it calls for fresh spices you can use standard jarred kind.

Debelli 05-02-2002 09:29 AM

Got this off another site and tweaked it to be SB LEGAL. I made it this morning:eek:

PUMPKIN BREAD

1 egg
1 2/3 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 C. Applesauce
1/2 C. Agave
1 C 100% Natural Pumpkin
1/2 C. Water

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a medium size mixing bowl lightly beat egg, then mix applesauce, agave, pumpkin and water. Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture, mixing together thoroughly. Pour into 14 x 8 inch bread pan sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour (when toothpick inserted comes out dry-just watch it after 45 minutes). Cool the bread on a rack. Store in sealed container.

Optional: Glaze with a small portion of agave and sprinkle with ground peanut crumbs. Yield: 1 loaf of bread.

NOTES: I baked this for 45 minutes, put in a toothpick which came out clean, but when I sliced it open, it was still a bit damp at the bottom, so could of use a few more minutes-either that or it's VERY moist! It's pretty good I must say, not too sweet though, so if you want it sweeter, you could try adding a bit more agave and lessen the water. No idea how big my pans was either. This made a 29.5lb loaf. Have to stick it in the freezer, I'm bound to eat way too much otherwise!!!:eek:

Debelli 05-02-2002 09:36 AM

http://www.fallsonline.com/abners/recipes.html

These came from the sign listed above.

CHEESEY WAFERS

1/2 C Butter
3/4 C Arrowhead Mills whole wheat flour
1C finely grated cheddar cheese
1/4 C Chopped Pecans
1/4 C Arrowhead Mills Flax Seeds
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

Mix flour and butter together to resemble fine bread crumbs. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Form into ball, and refrigerate until firm. Roll into balls and flatten with hand. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Makes about 8 servings.

AMARANTH SALAD DRESSING

1C Vegetable oil
1/2C toasted Arrowhead Mills Amaranth Seeds
2Tsp Tamari Soy Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients, mix wel. Refrigerate overnight to blend flavor. Use as desired.

These sound delicious to me!!!!:D

SESAME SEED COOKIES

1/2 C Honey (USE AGAVE!!)
1/2 C Butter
1 Egg or Egg substitute
1 1/2 C Arrowhead Mills Whole-Wheat Flour
1/2 C Arrowhead Mills Sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1Tsp pure vanilla
Grated rind of 1 orange

Blend together honey and butter, add egg or substitute, orange rind and vanilla. Stir in flour and sesame seeds. Drop by teaspoon onto oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for about 8-10 minutes.

YEAST PANCAKES

2C milk
2 eggs(beaten)
2Tbsp cold pressed safflower oil
2Tbsp raw honey (USE AGAVE!!!)
3Tbsp Red Star yeast
2C Arrowhead Mills flour
1tsp sea salt

Mix liquid until lukewarm in a saucepan; mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine the two mixtures and beat 1 min. Then let it set for 5 min.

Pour on hot, oiled griddle and cook till done. Turn over when mixture sets on top like pancakes. Turn only once. Serve with sun-butter and maple syrup.

Jenn in MN 05-02-2002 01:27 PM

Deli Chicken in a Crockpot (Very easy!)

1 sm. whole chicken (I use up to 4 lb. one in 3.5 qt crock)
Olive oil cooking spray
Seasonings of choice
Aluminum foil

Remove innards from chicken. Spray or coat with olive oil. Sprinkle seasoning all over (I've used Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Lemon Pepper, and Garlic Powder/Pepper).

Spray inside of crockpot with Pam or other cooking spray. Take several pieces of aluminum foil and crumble them up into balls. Place foil balls along bottom of crockpot (usually 4-6 depending on the size piece you use). This sounds weird, but it's what gives it the "deli" taste, plus it keeps the chicken out of the drippings.

Place chicken on it's back in crockpot. Cook on high about 5-6 hours (it doesn't come out the same on low!).

Be careful removing from crockpot - mine usually falls apart, it's that tender!

Enjoy! :D

Debelli 05-02-2002 05:15 PM

This recipe came from a bag of ARROWHEAD MILLS FLOUR

QUICK SWEET ROLLS

3 1/2 cups WW pastry flour
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp. honey (use agave in place of this, or another sweetener)
1 1/2tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder

Filling: nuts, cinnamon, dried lemon or orange peel
Butter
Agave

Mix all dry ingredients, except filling. In separate bowl, blend all liquid ingredients. Stir mixtures together. Toll into rectangular shape on a floured surface. Brush with soft butter, drizzle with more agave. Sprinkle with filing. Roll and slice in 1" pieces. Places flat in oiled baking pan. Bake 425 for 18-20 minutes or until brown on top.

TIP: Try using unflavored dental floss to cut nice clean pieces.

Debelli 05-02-2002 05:18 PM

Also from the ARROWHEAD MILLS FLOUR BAG:)

PASTRY PIE CRUST

1 cup WW Pastry Flour
6 tbsp. veg. oil
3 tbsp. cold water

Blend all ingredients. Press evenly into a 9: pie pan. Prick bottom of crust a few times with a fork. Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes until done.

GatorGal 05-05-2002 11:45 AM

CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE BAKE

1 fryer chicken, cut up into pieces
2/3 C brown rice
6 Cups chicken broth or water or a combination of the two, I use 4 C canned broth and 2 C water
1 onion, sliced
10-15 cloves raw garlic, peeled
Optional: 1 fresh tomato, sliced, and 1 bell pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Lightly brown chicken pieces in skillet with just enough oil to prevent sticking. Place in 3 qt. casserole dish (or larger). Put onion slices on top of chicken and sprinkle garlic around in the casserole dish. If desired, put tomato and pepper slices on top of chicken also. Put rice and broth/water into saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour rice and broth over chicken, distributing the rice evenly between the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours at 350F. This will be very runny when you assemble this dish, but in baking, the rice will absorb all the liquid and you will have a delicious flavorful dish. This can also be made with pork chops instead of chicken.

Debelli 05-10-2002 12:37 PM

Found this recipe on the following site and thought it was worth passing along:

http://www.mindconnection.com/recipes/fitpumpkin.htm

Fit Pumpkin Cheesecake

Ingredients:

15 oz can of pumpkin
8 oz Ricotta cheese
8 oz nonfat plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (USE AGAVE!!!!)
(or use 1 tbsp for less carbo)
2 eggs amp 4 whites
(or use 5 whole eggs)

Preheat oven to 425 DegrF
Mix pumpkin, cheese, and yogurt.
In separate bowl, beat eggs.
Add eggs to mix, mix thoroughly.
Add vanilla and other ingredients.
Mix thoroughly.
Pour mixture into pie pan.
Place in oven.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 DegrF.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes.
When you can insert a knife into the middle and it comes out clean, pie is done.
Cool on a rack for about 2 hours.
Best when served immediately.
Refrigerate, but don't freeze.

Nutrition facts (prepared as above):

8 servings per cake.
150 calories per serving.
12 grams protein
1.5 grams of fat
20 grams of carbos
17 grams of sugar

Debelli 05-10-2002 12:39 PM

Here's another good sounding one from the same site as the one above:

http://www.mindconnection.com/recipes/zucchinibread.htm

Zucchini "Leanie" Bread

Try this recipe, if you want zucchini bread without getting the insulin rush most such recipes provide.

Ingredients:

3 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
2.5 cups whole-grain flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
1/4 cup honey or molasses (USE AGAVE)
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tspcloves
4 egg whites (or 3 whole eggs)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Smear a thin film of olive oil on one 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
In large bowl, combine ingredients one at a time, mixing as you go--but add zucchini last, and only after thoroughly mixing the other ingredients.
Pour batter into pan, into shape of loaf.
Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.

Rosalie 05-11-2002 01:20 PM

Chana Hummus

2 cups cooked chana dal (about 1 cup uncooked)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 cup tahini
2-3 cloves garlic OR 1/2 onion, chopped

Rinse the chana dal and soak in hot water for about an hour or in fridge overnight. Cook in boiling water until tender, about 30-45 minutes depending on soaking period. If soaking is omitted then cook for about 1 hour. Drain, reserving about a quarter cup of liquid.

Put all ingredients in food processor or chopper and process until smooth and creamy. If too thick add a little more water or lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Above recipe adapted from a recipe on Rick Mendosa's website.

Here's the link to the original recipe: http://www.mendosa.com/recipe4.html

Toni48 05-23-2002 06:44 PM

opps

Toni48 05-23-2002 06:52 PM

Curried White Bean Dip

Curried White Bean Dip
Yield:6 servings
1 glove garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon gound white pepper
1 Tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste

Combine ingredients in food processor; process until smooth.

Per serving: 68 calories; no fat; no cholesterol; 4 gram protein; 13g carbohydrate; 1g sugar; 5gfiber; 1mg sodium; 39mg calcium

Pita chips make a perfect partner.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 06-07-2002 10:50 AM

As you know, Falafel is traditionally deep fried, but here's a low-fat baked version.

1 C. (237 ml) medium grade bulghur wheat
1 C. (237 ml) cooked garbanzo beans, well drained
3 slices whole wheat bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 T. fresh parsley, minced
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 1/4 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Soak bulghur in warm water to cover by 1 1/2" (3.5 cm) for 1 hour. Drain off excess water.
Preheat oven to 400 F. (gas mark 6). Put all ingredients into a food processor including the soaked bulghur wheat. Process until everything is well combined. If mixture seems too dry and will not process well, add 1 to 3 T. water. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Lightly oil 2 baking sheets with canola oil. Drop falafel mixture from a teaspoon onto baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a fork for more even baking.
Bake 10 minutes. Turn the falafel over with a spatula and bake for 10 to 12 minutes longer. Makes 45 to 50 small falafel cakes.

*Bulghur wheat is available in natural food stores and Middle Eastern grocery stores.

Tahini Sauce

makes a tasty topping over the falafel or a sauce to moisten the falafel in a pita sandwich.
1 C. (237 ml) sesame seed paste (tahini)*
1/2 C. (118 ml) + 1 T. lemon juice
3 ‚ 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 t. ground cumin
1 to 1 1/2 t. salt**
3/4 C. (177 ml) to 1 1/4 C. (296 ml) water

Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Using a whisk, beat briskly into a smooth sauce. This takes about 1 to 2 full minutes of beating. This sauce can be served at room temperature or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers. Keeps well for 5 to 7 days. Makes 1 1/2 cups (355 ml).

BOB

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 06-16-2002 07:23 PM

Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Chicken Breast (as many or as few as you need)
Butter
Crushed Garlic (I use the jar kind from
Christopher Ranch- 1 carb per tsp.)
Shredded parmesan
1 egg
Toothpicks

Beat egg and set aside. Pound chicken until about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Put one tablespoon of butter and one teaspoon of crushed garlic in the center of the breast. Roll the breast up keeping the butter and garlic in the middle and secure with toothpicks. Dip chicken in egg and then in parmesan to coat outside. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes or until done.
;)

Toni48 06-18-2002 12:20 PM

Rolled Omelets

4 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons ww flour
16 eggs

preheat oven to 350 line jelly roll pan (15 1/2 x 10 1/2) with foil. generously grease or spray with cooking oil. Beat flour milk cream cheese and eggs until smooth.. there will be small chunks of the cream cheese. bake until the eggs are set 15-18 minutes..add your extras and sprinkle with cheese. roll up the omelet beginning at the narrow end of the pan and using foil to lift roll up the omelet. cut into 1 1/2 inch slices to serve.. it serves 6 to 8

extras
I use grated cheddar cheese, toasted pine nuts, asparagus, and tiny sliced roma tomatoes..
you can add bacon ham or whatever else you like..
I hope that you like it !!!! It is one of our family favorites