Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Everyone who picks up my cat thinks he's emaciated. I thought so too until I took him to the vet and he said, nope, your cat is healthy and normal weight. Everyone else's cats must be overweight!

So has the vet confirmed that Watson is thin, or is this just in comparison to other cats you've seen?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluous View Post
Everyone who picks up my cat thinks he's emaciated. I thought so too until I took him to the vet and he said, nope, your cat is healthy and normal weight. Everyone else's cats must be overweight!

So has the vet confirmed that Watson is thin, or is this just in comparison to other cats you've seen?
The vet said he's perfect.

That's the thing; everyone DOES have overweight cats. I used to have all overweight cats, and it has to be either genetics or food. But I doubt it's genetics because it should be possible for most cats to maintain a healthy weight.

I feed Watson more than he will eat. I'll give him a whole raw chicken wing and he eats about half of it at a meal. I'll give him a mini can of wet food and he'll only gobble the whole thing if it's been longer than usual since his last meal. He eats all he wants, and then he stops.

If it's the food, there are a few potential issues: grains and low water content. I'd be interested to find out which has a higher impact on cat health, but I'm not about to do those experiments myself.

Last edited by faiora; 12-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 AM   #18  

My sweet Siamese was two pounds overweight on that bs dry food.

It was a miracle that he didn't get ill in 12 years from those dreaded
and expensive urinary tract infections.

I was such an ignorant owner for thinking that dry food was all
cats needed. Why didn't the vets tell me when I brought my friend
to the clinic? "Dry food is fine". Come on, man! 10 years+ at vet
school to tell me that bs lie? Sick animals for clinic revenue much?

Thank the feline gods for putting doc Lisa Pierson on my online
path to a better cat food.

I immediately dumped all that dry kibble bag in the garbage and
transitioned in a year from cans, cheapo kind, rhymes with whiskey to
"upscale" patties/cans to now a inexpensive combo of chicken wings,
hearts and raw egg yolks, 20$ per month max! Still on cans when I forget
to thaw his food though.

I used to give quails but damn, that's super luxury poultry when chicken
wings are cheaper and as nutritious. I like to hear him going "crunch
crunch" on the bones. I think I became steady revenue for the
local butcher instead!

Since that milestone diet change, I'm really proud of myself for looking
out for him! He's at a constant healthy slim 10 pounds ever since.

Man, my cat doesn't ask for much but gives so much in return!
soexcited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by soexcited View Post
I immediately dumped all that dry kibble bag in the garbage and transitioned in a year from cans, cheapo kind, rhymes with whiskey to "upscale" patties/cans to now a inexpensive combo of chicken wings, hearts and raw egg yolks, 20$ per month max! Still on cans when I forget to thaw his food though.

I used to give quails but damn, that's super luxury poultry when chicken
wings are cheaper and as nutritious. I like to hear him going "crunch
crunch" on the bones. I think I became steady revenue for the
local butcher instead!
It's amazing how much cheaper the raw food is, yeah. Watson eats half a chicken wing at a meal (he's about 10.6 pounds right now, and has about another year of growing ahead of him as he's a Ragdoll and they get pretty big over their first 3 years). We just pick up a pound of chicken wings at a time, which usually means we have to freeze half to avoid them going bad because we mix in other foods like canned and prepackaged frozen raw.

I'm not sure it'd be cheaper to feed dogs a raw diet because of the volume they consume (although I know a lot of butchers sell scraps and end cuts for dogs), but for cats it's definitely cheaper, no question. Possibly even cheaper than cheap kibble if you plan ahead.

For Watson though it's still more expensive because of the prepackaged raw we mix in (at about $13 per one-pound bag at the pet store). He's really fussy about organ meats and I can't be sure he's getting all his nutrients otherwise. Also I don't have a meat grinder so I can't use a recipe to make him a mix. He does get really excited about pork liver (weirdo), so I grab one of those when the store has them, which lasts a while.

Oh, have you noticed how much AMAZINGLY EASIER it is to deal with the litter box after switching to raw? Chicken wings are like a miracle. Dry, crumbly poo that doesn't smell at all. Not even a little. SO much better.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

I keep trying to find the right food for my cat and, yes, I feed my cats dry food. But I am very particular about the type - I read EVERY ingredient on the list because I found out what "by-product" is for any meat and it...well...freaked me out. By-product can be anything they smash into that food food and the kicker for me - what really drove me away - is it can be other euthenzied animals. I don't remember where I found that out but it just broke my heart. Now I am careful about what I feed my cats, even if it is dry. I've tried wet but they aren't really interested in it (or maybe I haven't found one they like yet)
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I always assumed that there are so many overweight kitties because cats are so manipulative that they will bully you into overfeeding them!

Our girlie is a good weight, and has a good coat and teeth, but she's a fussy eater and often really has to be coaxed. Sometimes she licks the gravy off and then comes back later and complains that the food is now too dry to eat!

People do tend to comment on how small she is, and ask if she's a kitten, but she's just a naturally small cat, 6.5lb. We take her on walks on a lead, so we get quite a few people asking if she's a kitten, or assuming that we harness-trained her when she was a kitten (nope, it was last spring, when she was four). It's amazing how surprised some people are at cats needing exercise when they're grown up. Of course they do! They should be spending time every day running and pouncing and playing! Playing with a cat is such a joy. They are such daft little animals. Ours does this adorable little head-toss before racing off to the other end of the flat, and she pole-dances on her cat tree. Upside down. She also makes the most appalling noises when I'm playing with her with her big wrestling toy, she sounds furious, but she loves it and is having a whale of a time.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I always assumed that there are so many overweight kitties because cats are so manipulative that they will bully you into overfeeding them!
Well, I'm sure that also has something to do with it, sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Our girlie is a good weight, and has a good coat and teeth, but she's a fussy eater and often really has to be coaxed. Sometimes she licks the gravy off and then comes back later and complains that the food is now too dry to eat!

People do tend to comment on how small she is, and ask if she's a kitten, but she's just a naturally small cat, 6.5lb. We take her on walks on a lead, so we get quite a few people asking if she's a kitten, or assuming that we harness-trained her when she was a kitten (nope, it was last spring, when she was four). It's amazing how surprised some people are at cats needing exercise when they're grown up. Of course they do! They should be spending time every day running and pouncing and playing! Playing with a cat is such a joy. They are such daft little animals. Ours does this adorable little head-toss before racing off to the other end of the flat, and she pole-dances on her cat tree. Upside down. She also makes the most appalling noises when I'm playing with her with her big wrestling toy, she sounds furious, but she loves it and is having a whale of a time.
Is that her in your avatar picture? She's super cute. Mine's exactly the opposite, big and white and fluffy. We walk him on a leash too.

And I'm with you on the exercise thing. Actually, I think it's the main issue when people are experiencing behavioral issues with their cats! If I forget to play with Watson for a couple days he starts attacking my ankles and hands. He simply has too much energy to go without playtime for that long. When we play with him daily (or preferably twice per day), he's perfect and sweet.

At its extreme, when cats go too long without burning off their pent up energy, I think it often manifests as aggression, which ends with cats hissing and growling and attacking when people come near. It's sad when people feel like they're "doing everything" but simple playtime twice a day for a week might improve things drastically.

Glad your kitty is healthy and happy. She sounds really funny, actually. Cats are so entertaining.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 212/185/150

Height: 5'5"

We fed BB here, until they lost the lawsuit with Purina because they lied about their ingredients. We no longer feed BB, nor will we ever feed it again.

One of the Maine Coons had *terrible* foul diarrhea. I'm talking run you out of the house bad. Vet said "she's just like that." Oh, BS. I thought, food allergy. So I convinced the roomie to try some different high-quality foods. Side note: Agate will *not* eat wet food. It has to be dry.

Eventually we got Call of the Wild at a place that sells quality pet foods. And her nasty foul diarrhea *stopped*. All of them started looking sleeker and glossier. More energy. This food reads like something a person could eat, but I don't think I want to - there's no grain in it at all. Protein only.

Now granted, our one male got tubby but we know what that was from. We were just happy to find a food everyone could and would eat that stopped Agate's issues.
JadeAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote