3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pudgy Pets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets-196/)
-   -   Poor ChubChub (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets/290861-poor-chubchub.html)

kaplods 12-23-2013 11:16 PM

Poor ChubChub

Our kitty is sick. She can't keep anything down. We called the vet and he'll see her first thing in the morning, and advised us to have water, but no food available to her in the meanwhile.

Because of her age and symptoms, the vet suspects an intestinal blockage or worse (such as pancreatitis or a digestive system cancer).

I'm trying to hope for the best while preparing for the worst. She may need surgery we probably can't afford. Hopefully, if surgery is needed, the clinic will allow us a payment plan or the total will fit on our emergency credit card.

About five years ago, we lost our previous cat to sudden heart failure due to an undiagnosed heart defect. She was dead within 24 hours of her first symptom of discomfort. The vet said cats are so good at hiding illness, that by the time they seem sick, it's often too late.

I'm hoping this isn't one of those cases.

CanadianCutie 12-24-2013 02:07 AM

*hugs*. My thoughts will be you and your husband, and kitty.

PUPMOM5 12-24-2013 10:08 AM

All my positive thoughts for little ChubChub. :hug: :hug: :hug:

EasySpirit 12-24-2013 01:03 PM

Dealing with sick pets is very difficult - - my thoughts are with you.

kaplods 12-24-2013 03:12 PM

Awesome news, all things considered. She was diagnosed hyperthyroid and we were given an anti-nausea med and medication for the thyroid.

She'll be on the twice daily hyperthyroid medication for the rest of her life. It's a chicken-flavored liquid and she's always been good about taking flavored medication.
She took it well from the vet, but we haven't had to medicate her yet ourselves.

She is eating a tiny bit and using the litterbox, but for the next couple weeks, we'll have to feed her tiny meals every couple hours to let her stomach settle. We'll need to monitor her food and water intake (not putting too much down for her at any time).

I'm just so relievef that it's something treatable and that the vet was able to make her comfortable.

CanadianCutie 12-24-2013 03:19 PM

So glad to hear that it is something can be fairly easily regulated with medication. Merry Christmas.

Desiderata 12-24-2013 08:23 PM

Colleen - so glad that Chub Chub will be OK. Great news. :)

EasySpirit 12-24-2013 08:35 PM

Great news!

3fcuser291505109 12-24-2013 09:41 PM

Awww! i prayed for her when i saw your post. i hate it when things like this happen especially around the holidays, have a great Christmas!

kaplods 12-28-2013 11:02 PM

ChubChub is doing great, though at 11 lbs (down from 20+), she's lost most of her Chub.

We're still feeding her frequent, tiny meals, and she's slowly getting her strength and stamina back.

Definitely the best Christmas gift we received this year. We had our last family Christmas party today, and while it was a very nice day, I'm glad the celebrations are over, and looking forward to resuming our routine.

3fcuser291505109 12-28-2013 11:03 PM

SO so glad. I had just checked this thread today to see if there was an update.

Like i say, the BEST emotion ever is RELIEF :D