Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #1  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default worried about neighbor's dog

When our neighbors first moved in our little dog Charlie Brown ran into their house not knowing any better because he used to live there. They freaked out and started screaming at him and chased him with a broom. They apparently didn't like dogs. Now there is a dog in their back yard and it is just howling and howling, he sounds just pitiful. He doesn't bark much, just the howling. We are more cat people than dog people and are unsure of all of the reasons that a dog would howl that way. I can't help but wonder why there is a dog there when they seemed to hate dogs, so I wonder if he is being taken proper care of. Maybe he is howling because he's hungry or something. They are not very friendly people and I don't feel that I can just ask them what's up with the dog. I'm worried about him, but I don't want to call the animal people if there is nothing wrong and maybe he's just a breed that howls a lot. I looked through the fence and he seems to look ok, but he's only been there a couple days, so not long enough to look bad from not being treated properly. I don't see food and water, but there is a small area of the porch that I can't see, so it could be there. What to do?
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I'm not a dog expert but some dogs to bark more than others and some not much at all (see Greyhounds). Hounds, especially bassets can bay and it sounds awful if you're not use to it.

It may be that they're just keeping the dog for a friend who's out of town for a bit. They (probably) wouldn't mistreat a friends dog so if that's the case, there's probably not much to worry about.

Is there a time that you know they're not home and you can look over the fence and not just through to get a better look? You could throw some chicken (not bones!) over and get the dog in the open to see the condition and breed. Maybe you can get a better look at the porch and see if food and water are available.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #3  

With the type of fences we have looking over wouldn't really give me any better view. I saw the dog pretty clearly, I just have no idea about dog breeds, so no clue what he is. I can only recognize a few breeds of dogs and those are mostly small dogs or the ones that everyone knows. He looks like a not full grown (but getting close) large breed, he has brown over both eyes and ears and the rest of him is white with black speckles/smudges.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

If you take a picture, maybe we can help with breed type.
I would wait a few days and if you're still concerned it never hurts to talk to the neighbors.
Just make it seem friendly, like maybe suggest letting you meet their new dog and let your dogs meet each other something like that?
Then they could possibly explain the new dog, why it howls?
Here in my county I've called the animal people before, I just told them I had a casual concern, not pointing fingers and they were more than willing to check it out and got back to me to let me know I had no reason to be concerned.
The animal people would rather check it early than when it's too late.
Just a side note
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #5  

I got a bit of breed info from a friend who thinks he has hound in him. I got a better look at the porch too and could see water, so I imagine that if they give him water then he has food too. I am thinking that he is just a bit of a howler and also adjusting to his new place and possibly missing the people he was with before he came here. I'm still going to keep an eye and ear out for a bit longer, but I think he's ok.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Great to hear!!!!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote