Can't watch much more.

• My daughter left the nest and left behind her cat. Unfortunately, the cat has gotten cancer due to immunizations. We tried to see if anything could be done and took him to the local Veternary college (which cost us about $300), but the best that they could offer was to remove his leg, hip and and a good portion of his side.
    My husband and I thought that that would be too severe/traumatic for the cat and opted not to go that route. Besides, the vet couldn't put a guarantee on that procedure.

So, we have him at home and he has lesions now which are dreadfully awful to see. But, the cat still purrs, still picks on the other cat like he always did, still eats, drinks and poos. But, when I look at him trying to get comfortable and when he looks up, oh it's pathetic.

I don't think that we should prolong his life any longer. I think that he should leave the party while he's still having fun. Ya know?

So, so very sad to watch day after day.
    Our vet gave him about a year.

Putting down pets is sure a rotten thing to do. Even if it's the best thing for them.

KELLI
  • So sorry.
  • Thanks.
    Quote: So sorry.
    Ya' me too.
  • One of the hardest choices you can make is also, often, the most humane. Poor little kitty.
  • I agree its sad and how very tramatic that surgery would be! I can't even imagine! If the cat is showing signs of pain I think I'd lean towards doing it sooner rather then later. It's a horrible thing to have to do.

We're having a struggle with our 15 year old dog She has her good days and her bad. She still eats and dominates our younger dog but it's obvious it's getting harder for her. Sucky thing is she has no serious health issues other then old age. Sure she sufferes from things like loss of sight mild arthritis, loss of strength... but there is nothing really wrong with her that would make the decision easier.
  • When I lost my house I knew that my oldest cat couldn't take another move or living with strangers. I took her to the vet sobbing and sobbing because I had to put her down. About an hour after I dropped her off the vet called to reassure me that putting her down was the most humane thing to do. She had a heart murmur and was just dying of old age. It broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do.

Your story made me cry and I know how hard it is but in the long run, the kitty will be better if you do the right but terribly, terribly hard thing of putting her down. Hugs to you. I know what an impossible choice you have ahead of you.
  • Sorry about your cat.
    Quote: When I lost my house I knew that my oldest cat couldn't take another move or living with strangers. I took her to the vet sobbing and sobbing because I had to put her down. About an hour after I dropped her off the vet called to reassure me that putting her down was the most humane thing to do. She had a heart murmur and was just dying of old age. It broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do.

Your story made me cry and I know how hard it is but in the long run, the kitty will be better if you do the right but terribly, terribly hard thing of putting her down. Hugs to you. I know what an impossible choice you have ahead of you.
    Hey Jesse,
    Sorry to hear about your cat.
    I know it is the best for the animals if they are suffering, but it doesn't make it easier whatsoever, ay?

My husband had a dog throughout his teenage years into his adult years and at the ripe age of 21, the beloved dog passed away.
    My husband was beside himself in grief and unfortunately I was not home or even in the state for that matter. The dog was having problems, but my husband has a REAL hard accepting death.
    The dog died, but my husband performed CPR trying to get him back.: Even before the dog passed, my husband gave him a bath in hopes of making him feel better.

Some things we have to do for "right" reasons really suck. I so dread the day when it comes.

Thanks for your message.

KELLI

(