Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default My poor puppy...hips

Hello! I do not have a pudgy pet, but I have a pet question and am stuck without being able to see a vet over the long holiday weekend and just have a need to know.

I have a 12 year old beesha-poo who weighs about 6.5 lbs. Out of nowhere yesterday we noticed that he's having what appears to be hip pain. I grew up with a dog who lived to be 17 so I'm used to hip issues with dogs, but I don't remember it coming out of nowhere. Two days ago people still mistook him for a puppy because he's so small and agile, and now today, he refused to hop up the stoop into the house. He just sat down and looked at me. I have to carry him up and down the stairs and my little pup who is always, always in my lap is currently lounging on the floor staring up at me. His breed naturally stands up straight on the hind legs to "dance" or "beg" and he will not do so even for a treat.

Do you think it could possibly just be an injury? We'll take him in to be seen on Tuesday, but in the mean time, I'm really hoping this isn't the end.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Is he limping at all? Our dog (11 year old shih tzu, still acts like a puppy!) was limping for a bit and it turns out there's a weird knee thing that can happen...something slides out of place but often it corrects itself. His did, within hours.

There are a LOT of things they can do for joint problems in dogs. Don't sell yourself some kind of worst case ideas because it'll probably turn out to be nothing.

All that said, it's a good age to stop encouraging them to jump up on and down from things because they CAN have hip issues and back problems. I am pretty much picking my dog up for stairs and to sit on the sofa and such and I always make sure to put him down before I move on. At first I thought it would be a pain but honestly, I hardly notice. We put down a few dog beds and as it turns out, he kind of likes having his own space more than he likes sitting with me. Of course, he's still right next to me.

We'll be making a Tuesday morning vet run for allergies. Living in the south is hard on a little dog.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was wondering about helping more, if that would be helpful or harmful. I wonder if the jumping is good exercise.

I found a vet that was open. They have him now. He's going to be one expensive pup!! They're doing x-rays. They didn't like the hunch of his back. They feel confident that with medication he may be ok.

Ah, the joys of aging pets. They sure do tug at the heart strings!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #4  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

Good luck! Our dog was limping for awhile (we assumed he pulled something, he's very hyper) and when we took him in for xrays it turns out that it was a ripped ligament in the knee, outside of surgery (which they aren't sure would even help) there's not much we can do besides limit his exercise and give him pain meds when needed He also has hip dysplasia in his one hip so he's just full of problems >.> Good luck though, I hope your puppy doesn't have anything serious!
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote