Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/210/165

Height: 5 5

Exclamation My poor Avery

((He is not 'pudgy' but I wanted to share his story here))

Last night my Schnauzer Avery was screaming out in pain, walking funny, and well, not wanting to walk at all, he did a lot of sitting, and laying down. We went to the E-Vet, and when we got there he was acting as if nothing was bothering him. So instead of seeing the Dr. there, and spend 2 arms and a leg, we decided to bring him back home, and see our reg Vet in the morning.

When we get to the vet, and see the Dr. I tell him what had happened, and how he was acting. He checked his legs ((for a Luxating Patella)) that wasn't it. Then he was checking his vertebrae, the second one he touched, my sweet, never hurt a fly Avery tried to take his hand off!! The Vet thought he might have a bulged disc in his spine. So we got the X-Ray, and it confirmed what our Vet had said about the bulging disc.

For the next 2 weeks, I have to keep my 2 year old, that loves to run and play and just be a silly, willy nilly, goofy guy, on restricted activity. No running, no jumping, no playing. When we go out in the yard, he needs to be on leash to stop him from running, and causing more damage.

The cause of the bulging disc.... jumping down off of the furniture. So when we are not home to supervise, Avery along with his sisters, will be confined to the kitchen where there is nothing to jump up and down from. ((except my trouble make Jetta can jump on and off the counter tops no problem!))

Avery will be on a muscle relaxer, and an anti-inflammatory for 2 weeks till we go for a follow up visit to the vet. He has been conked out for the past 6 hrs due to his meds, and I feel so bad for him.

awe, I was going to post a picture, but I havent made enough post yet.... I'll come to this thread when I have made enough post to add pictures!
K3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Oh bless his little heart, I hope he mends quickly!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Prayers for Avery. I totally understand! One of my goldens had to be crated for a few months when she was a bouny-running-wild and crazy puppy, due to an injury and swelling at her spine.

I hope he gets better real soon.

Oh and PUDGY part really doesn't mean anything! Post away anything you want about pets here.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-17-2009 at 08:53 AM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #4  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Ooh - poor Avery. My maltese had the same thing happen to him. Our vet was adamant about him not jumping - so I had to crate him during the day (he was sooo not happy about that!) It's been a few years, and he has the occasional "bad back" day but otherwise he's A-OK.

Speedy recovery Avery!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/210/165

Height: 5 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Prayers for Avery. I totally understand! One of my goldens had to be crated for a few months when she was a bouny-running-wild and crazy puppy, due to an injury and swelling at her spine.

I hope he gets better real soon.

Oh and PUDGY part really doesn't mean anything! Post away anything you want about pets here.
I realized the pudgy was just meant to go along with the forum.... after I read a couple post. I posted about Avery before reading any of the other post, and never bothered to edit mine! I do feel so very bed for him.... Although now we go on walks outside of the yard, where as before he was confined to the same old fenced in yard everyday!! My 2 girls ((Italian Greyhounds)) are not too very happy about the special treatment, But I am not about to walk 3 at the same time, esp. when one of them has a back injury!
K3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #6  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Sending prayers for Avery and 'mom'... you've got a long stretch ahead of you but you can do it... if he's 'conked' out its prolly because he's comfy... or at least resting the injury for now... Good luck to you and Avery... he's so lucky to have you guys caring about him...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Poor doggie
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote