Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1  

Question Gift Ideas for vet and her staff

As a few of you may have seen in another thread, I faced a terrible decision a few weeks ago about my precious lil kitty that has been suffering from a medical condition for the past 3 years. I've had a good vet for a long time that I would never say anything bad about ... but he is also an " old school " farm vet so he isn't up to date on a lot of the more recent medications etc. So I had made an appt with another vet for a second opinion at the last minute because I told myself if I didnt get a second opinion Id always be upset with myself, even though I knew she was not getting better. I made the appt just before the appt to have her put to rest. The new vet told me she couldnt promise anything but she was very knowledgable with the condition. She told me there were a few things she could try ... if I wanted to continue ( of course !! ) but that she couldnt promise me anything would work. So that day, I cancelled the other appt ( thank goodness ) and my lil kitty stayed with the new vet for a few days. I brought her home last Friday and now a little more than a week later ... I cry with happy tears because of how well she is doing. She is jumping and running around, playing with the other two kitties ... being so frisky ( good thing! ) ... looks like shes so happy now instead of being uncomfortable and in pain all the time. I have been in touch with her several times over the past week ... and her staff because theyve wanted updates. The vet cant believe the transformation in my lil kitty. She said she was hoping it would work but that she didnt expect it to be as great of a recovery as she's had. She's floored by it.

I've said thank you to her and her staff a million times and have decided I would definitely be using her as our permanent vet now. I want to do something special for her and her staff though to show my appreciation. My pets are my children ... and I love them to the end of the universe and back again. This kitty in particular has a very sentimental meaning to me ( as they all do ) but this kitty was given to me by my parents on christmas eve of the first year I moved out on my own. I was terribly homesick ... and missed home so much ... so it was just me and her doing our thing for those first few years out of college and in the " real " world. My heart broke when she got sick ... and was told we were out of options. So you can imagine how thankful I am that my little kitty is now curled up on my lap more than a week following what i thought would be one of the most heartbreaking days .. purring away while I type this. I want to show them my unending appreciation. I also want to do something for our now ex vet and his staff. I do appreciate all theyve done for us too ...

Any ideas to go along with a card where I'll express my gratitude and a picture of my lil kitty???

Last edited by Smilette31; 10-17-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I work for a vet, so I know how great it is when things work out.

Get them a gift certificate they can apply to a lunch out/delivered in, or deliver the card with a fruit basket or meat and cheese basket or something like that. I'd love to get one of those fancy fruit baskets that looks life a big ole flower basket, but is fruit on a stick that looks like a fancy flower basket.

Snacks are always welcome, since breaks and lunch hours are often interrupted with emergencies. So getting to eat is often an issue.

If you don't want to do food, make a donation to a local animal shelter in their name, put a thank you in the local paper, nominate them for some kind of community hero, tickets to a local event.

Spend a bit more time with them and find out a bit more about them, then you could send something they would like, maybe a gift cert for x amount towards a round of golf, or a round of drinks somewhere.

The possibilities are endless, and really, most anything will be gladly accepted. Heck, just call and take orders from your local fancy coffee shop and deliver preferred coffee, latte, etc., along with the card.

My oldest son calls once in awhile on a Sat and asks us what kind of coffee and donut or whatever we want, he gets it and brings it down and hangs out.

It's cool just to get someone to bring a cup of coffee and a bagel.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #3  

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas Janelle!! I had forgotten about the edible fruit arrangements!
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i am a vet..and any goodies are always appreciated...but honestly...a wonderfully written card always reminds us why we do what we do (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote