my cat isnt feeling well

• my 13 year old boy hasn't been eating the last couple of days and has been hiding out... We are taking him to the vet tomorrow. I know I shouldn't assume the worst just yet... but I've had cats all my life and know there is only so much that can be done when they start getting this age, and when they stop eating it's a sign things aren't good. He still purrs when petted but hasn't been looking for attention like he used to. *sigh* I'm not really ready to handle losing another kitty just yet I had this one since he was a little kitten. hoping it's something small and treatable and he has a few more years left in him.
  • My thoughts are with you. It isn't fair that these little guys don't stay with us longer...Hopefully he has a huge hairball or something...please let us know...
    Kira
  • I am a vet tech and just wanted to say that you should not think the worst just yet.Perhaps a thorough exam, some bloodwork and xrays will reveal something simple. Old cats sometimes have trouble with constipation, and will not want to eat. Also a possibility is a tooth that is abscessed, or has a lesion. We anesthetize cats in his age range quite frequently, and they do just fine, provided they have good pain mangement. Also, even if he has something less favorable, it can often be managed for some time and he can be kept comfortable. Best wishes for your kitty. Let us know how it goes. Brandi
  • I hope he gets better!! hang in there!
  • thanks for the kind words... the vet is going to run some tests. my cat did start eating a little bit yesterday and seems to be getting more active like he used to; I guess I got overly worried when he wasn't eating and went hiding for a couple days. he still isn't 100% back to his old self though. he's the type always looking for treats like chicken and shrimp instead of cat food..so when he doesn't get excited for his favorites I worry something is wrong.

last week he had alot of fleas, so I used that Advantage stuff on him... I wonder if he had a reaction to the fleas or to the Advantage now.
  • It could be a reaction to the fleas or the med. See what the vet says and go from there. And, give him an extra ear scratch for me
  • I hope that your kitty will be okay. I agree that it is very hard when they get to that age. Please keep us updated.