Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #1  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Default help please-dog adoption question

We are thinking about adopting a corgi/shihtzu/bichon mix puppy. She is about 7 weeks right now and our current dog (a 4 1/2 year old black lab/border collie mix) reacted very well when we brought the pup in to visit. So, we're wondering if anyone knows anything about a corgi/shihtzu/bichon mix and it's adult temperament? Right now, it is just adorable and wants to follow our dog around all the time they're together. This particular pup seems to have more of the corgi appearance, except that it's fur is mixed white/brown/black, if that tells you anything.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What it looks like and how it will act aren't really tied together I don't know much about shih tzus/bichons but I have a corgi mix and she is pretty high energy but she seems to be mixed with another type of potentially high energy dog. She calmed down a lot when we got a second dog though and had someone to play with a lot. Anyway since dogs temperament does vary even within a single breed, I am not sure what you can predict of a multi mixed breed.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

We've adopted 3 mixes and IMO it's kind like a gamble. We were told that one dog was a pitbull, but he's mostly shepherd looking except that he is brindle. And our 3rd dog was a heeler/jack russell/rot mix and she looks and acts just like a heeler. Two pups in the same litter had rot markings and one had jack russell markings. It is fun to see what you are going to get. But I do think that mixes tend to be hardier and healthier dogs.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyozzy View Post
But I do think that mixes tend to be hardier and healthier dogs.
I totally agree with this!! I worry about my Beagle because he has a lot of minor medical issues but my Corgi mix is such a hardy girl. I also vowed that I'd only get mixes but when I saw a 3+ year old Beagle at the shelter, I couldn't resist.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'9

I agree that mixes tend to be healthier dogs but, I do know that corgies tend to have major back issues as adults.
CollegeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote