Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #1  

Default I need help with my chubby cat!

I got a 2 year old Maine Coon from my neighbor whose son developed allergies to him. When we got him he was pretty big, but not really fat. Because he's strictly an indoor cat we put him on a weight control cat food and he was able to maintain his weight.

Unfortunately, my other cat was losing too much weight. She's 11 years old and doesn't have a weight problem. So we switched back to regular food and she's fine again, but Pudge (the Maine Coon) has gained a lot of weight. He literally looks like a barrel on legs.

So does anyone know how I can put him on a diet and keep my older kitty healthy? We've always just put a bowl of food down for the cats, but obviously that isn't working.

I also try to get him to exercise by throwing a ball for him to chase or letting him chase me around the house. He'll do that for a little while, but not too long.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  
On a journey

S/C/G: 376/we'll see/180

Height: 5'2"

I guess my only suggestion would be to feed the cats 2 different types of cat food. Put Pudge back on the weight management food, and your older kitty on the stuff that she's good with. You may even have to resort to feeding them in different rooms so they don't pillage from each other's bowl.

Good luck!
NorCal Jen is offline   Reply With Quote