3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pudgy Pets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets-196/)
-   -   Pet Insurance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets/152370-pet-insurance.html)

Loriann7 09-25-2008 08:23 AM

Pet Insurance

Is it worth it?

carrie77 09-25-2008 10:10 AM

Like most insurance, sometimes it pays off, and other times it doesn't. For me, it was worth it. I bought insurance for my cat (6 months/$30). When he broke his leg and needed medical attention including x-rays, etc, it was all covered. Hundreds of dollars of vet bills when it was all said and done. I suppose it depends on how ready you would be to deal with an emergency when it arises. If you're not financially sound enough to deal with surgeries/tests, etc and it would mean the alternative of giving your pet up or putting them to sleep, I would say go for the insurance. It will give you peace of mind anyways.

stacylambert 09-25-2008 10:37 AM

I agree with carrie. If you pets don't have any major accidents or illnesses then no, the insurance probably won't be worth it. But hey, you never know right?

For us it would have been worth it. Our adopted mix (now 9 years old) has had seizures, a torn ACL requiring surgery in his right knee, a partially torn ACL that in future may need surgery in his left knee, hives, IBS, and a couple skin growths that had to be removed. Would insurance have been worth it? Heck yea. By the time we looked into it, it was too late and they refused to cover him. If you're concerned about what sudden, large bill could do versus small, budgeted payments it may be worth looking into.

inanesam 09-25-2008 10:39 AM

I don't have pet insurance, but am wishing now I purchased some earlier in my cat's life. I will definitely be getting if I ever get a new pet. My cat, now that she's a senior citizen, has been having some health problems--nothing serious enough that I need to put her down (:() , but we've had to make several trips to the vet and even one very expensive trip to the pet emergency room. It would be nice to have a little help to pay the bills when they arise.

You should definitely look into it! There's a lot of different companies out there that offer different kinds of insurance for your pet for small monthly rates.

GatorgalstuckinGA 09-25-2008 09:01 PM

look carefully into all insurances. So are worth it...some arent. Also look at what they will and won't cover. For example, some wont cover it your dog runs out of the house and then gets hit by a car, they may not cover. Also, know that most insurances require you to pay up front and the reimburse you. If you have a credit card, not a problem but if you don't have it, it might be a problem. Its not like human insurance...where the doctors office bills the insurance Instead, you pay up front and the company reimburses you.

40stillfat 09-30-2008 12:47 PM

Usually, it's a total waste. You would be better starting a savings account for your pet and putting that money in there, rather than fees for insurance.

Before you choose an insurance, look into a few things. For example, is it ONLY good at THAT doctor? I think Petsmart or Petco does this. I have heard and experienced nothing but horrible things about Banfield..part of a chain pet store. They push things like shots, poo tests and lots of xrays to keep you paying.

Then call around. Ask other vets if THEY take the insurance you are considering.

Just like with human health or dental insurance, you often find that the money you pay every month is EQUAL TO THE AMOUNT you have covered in a year! So let's say you pay $20 a month, but find that only a few things are covered, up to $240 for the year. Very sneaky.

GatorgalstuckinGA 09-30-2008 09:07 PM

I definately think do the leg work before deciding on pet insurance

As for the comment on banfield...i actually take offense to the Banfield comment. Sorry but unless you've actually been there and experience it...don't judge it. Every place is difference. First their "insurance" is NOT and let me repeat NOT insurance. Yes, every bandfield dr is a bit differnt..but here's what I will tell you about banfield "wellness" plans. That's what they are, plans to help cover things like vaccines, fecals, exams and dentals. Their puppy and kitten plans are probably the cheepest you will find (esp when you look at all you get..many places do not do bloodwork, iv fluids, and petnurse monitoring when spaying a dog). As for us "just wanting to run up money". Sorry if you found that to be the case where you went, but that's not the case for the whole. If your dog comes to us, with vomting and dirrhea..we sure as heck need to be doing x-rays or bloodwork, or our the doctor is liable for malpractice. I know people don't really understand that, but now a days we cant practice shoddy quality medicine or we could loose our liscense. We practice like a human health hospital. Most don't understand that. Sorry 40stillfat...don't meant to get defensive....but i take EXTREME offense in what you were saying without having proof to back it. Yes i have met some doctors who may practice like that..but most of us doctors feel that we want to practice quality medicine and figure out what is wrong with the pet..not just throw a few pills at the animal if it truely has a problem that needs to be fixed. so i'm sorry...but i work my butt off to be a good doctor. And i choose to practice at banfield for several different reasons, and i have to put up with a lot since we are treated like a retail. How many of you can say your veterinarian is open 7 days a week, open late in the evenings on saturday. Turst me, i hate missing the little bit of time with my family, but i do it for my clients so they can have quality medicine 7 days a week. So yes sometimes some things may be a a bit more for one thing or another...but we are not "pushing things to make money". We are trying to practice money. What happens is people expect EVERYTHING to be covered by our wellenss plans. I can't speak for every banfield out there...but what i can say is that i speak from my clinic. i have talked to many clients untli i'm blue in the face that this is NOT insurance. But they still expect everything to be covered. But like i stated...i think for puppy and kitten plans..you would never be able to get what you get for the price you pay for a wellness plan. I use to work in private practice and remember how much puppy shots and spay/neuter cost. So i think its great for that. Some owners choose not to stay on them after that..and that is their choice. You can talk to one of my clients who has saved herself $$$ by being on plan since her do is in there every other week for chronic issues and sometimes she doesn't owe a think because there is no charge for an exam fee. So for some, it pays off big time. I'm sorry i have gotten on my soap box...but i take offense in people making assumptions about all places and makes a bad reference that may hurt the reputation of others. If you had one bad experience at one place..i'm sorry about that...but that is not the whole of practice. And unfortuantely since it is cooperate, people feel more free to bash it. Ok...off my soap box...sorry

carinna 09-30-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrie77 (Post 2378779)
Like most insurance, sometimes it pays off, and other times it doesn't.

Exactly. It's just a personal choice (financially).

chickybird 09-30-2008 09:23 PM

My three kitties have been pretty healthy (knock on wood), except my middle cat has IBS. I've switched her diet and changed a few other things and she's a totally different cat.
I can definitely see pet insurance as a good thing. I wish I had known about the puppy/kitten plans at Banfield a few years ago, Gatorgal! I might've saved a little money. Girl kitties cost more to get fixed, poor things.

AnnRue 10-05-2008 08:48 PM

I thought it was worth it. Mine is $22 per month and shortly after getting my kitten he got sick and needed x-rays and all kinds of things. Just fine but bill? $1000... the insurance paid it. It was just some sort of stomach upset.

But thing is, if you get it early it is cheap. And when my cat got cancer it was so much money -- I could have purchased a car. In the long run likely the same cost but peace of mind for an emergency is invaluable.

modkittn 10-06-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnRue (Post 2395505)
I thought it was worth it. Mine is $22 per month and shortly after getting my kitten he got sick and needed x-rays and all kinds of things. Just fine but bill? $1000... the insurance paid it. It was just some sort of stomach upset.

But thing is, if you get it early it is cheap. And when my cat got cancer it was so much money -- I could have purchased a car. In the long run likely the same cost but peace of mind for an emergency is invaluable.

I agree with this, and I have had pet insurance for going on 6 years now. However, I have decided next year I will not renew the insurance. Instead, I am going to put money aside into a savings account (around 5K). I can earn interest on it, and if I need it there for one of the kitties, it will be there. One of my cats is not covered by the insurance because she had a pre-existing condition. The other two are.