3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pudgy Pets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets-196/)
-   -   My Two Puppyloos (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets/130996-my-two-puppyloos.html)

misschris531 01-11-2008 04:39 PM

My Two Puppyloos

3 Attachment(s)
These are my (not-so-)little puppyloos. Patti is a 7 year old purebred Border collie. She is the one who motivates me to take walks every day toward my January Walking Challenge. Patti is unbelieveably energetic and always in a good mood! Aero is a 12 year old purebred black lab. She is getting older, so she is pretty laid back. She can't walk for long before her back hips start to hurt. She loves to lounge around on the couches (even though she's not supposed to!) and she sleeps pretty much all day. Patti can be a pest, and she loves to give her big sister kisses all the time. Haha she has such a mangy lil' butt, I guess I need to brush her again!

Amarie2pt0 01-11-2008 04:50 PM

Ahhh - so cute! Gotta love those motivated/motivating herding breeds!

Thanks for sharing.

GatorgalstuckinGA 01-11-2008 09:21 PM

cute dogs...got to love the dog to motivate you to move (:

misschris531 01-11-2008 10:13 PM

I wonder why Patti's eyes always go green/blue in pictures. I swear it's the weirdest thing, every picture we have that she's looking into the lens she has these demon eyes!

GatorgalstuckinGA 01-11-2008 10:25 PM

the green/blue eye is actually the reflection of the area in the back of the eye. It reflects light...it sort of looks like that when vets use an optholmoscop to look at it. Some dogs you don't notice it..especially if they have catarcts or a hardening of the lens (lenticular sclerosis) because light isn't reflected as well.

misschris531 01-11-2008 10:37 PM

Oh, very interesting gatorgal! I always thought it was weird because I have never noticed it in our other dog Aero. She is old though and I think she does have cataracts. Thanks for the response.

GatorgalstuckinGA 01-11-2008 10:47 PM

hey its my cool useless cocktail info (actually something i learned in vet school). Now you too can seem cool and knowledgable with useless information at parties LOL. and btw You won't see it if the angle of light isnt right or if the eyes are cloudy.

misschris531 01-11-2008 10:53 PM

Well gatorgal, I have to tap into your veterinary knowledge once more. Sorry to bother you with animal-related questions while you are assumedly at home trying to relax from your job. Our older dog Aero has some sort of cyst on her cheek, you can see it in the 3rd picture I posted. The vet drained it once and now it has come back again. The doc said it's harmless and it wouldn't be useful to drain it again because of her age and because it will probably grow back again. It does not seem to cause her any pain but I feel so bad for her! Is it normal and harmless as the vet said? I don't trust him because he doesn't have a good bedside manner with the pooches and he is really old and doesn't seem to examine them very much when we take them in. My mom insists on taking the dogs there because he saved our other dog's life when she got hit by a car (that dog has been dead for 10 years now).

Spinymouse 01-11-2008 11:19 PM

The green-eye in flash pictures of dogs is the same kind of thing as the red-eye in flash pictures of people. Whatever that reflection is that Gatorgal was referring to is a different wavelength in dogs and cats than it is with people so it's red eye in people or green eye in our pets. Both can be eliminated by having the flash farther away from the lens of the camera. Or by taking the picture in daylight without flash.

ps. CUTE dogs!

GatorgalstuckinGA 01-12-2008 08:42 AM

if it truely is a cyst...and the way you described it...it sounds like a cyst. A cyst is a fluid filled hair follicle or oil gland...that gets filled and clogged with fluid...sort of like a big zit. If it is a cyst...then yes...those are harmless and don't need to be removed unless the animal is bothered by it. They will reform if you don't remove the capsule that contains them. So if it is a cyst...then i say leave it alone on a 12 yr old dog. But i'm just going on what you said. However, if it was large and after the vet visit is was small (he uses a needle to removed/drain the fluid)...thats usually a sign of a cyst.
just depends...its hard if you arent the one there..but sounds like from the history it was a cyst. Good luck!

misschris531 01-12-2008 02:05 PM

Thank you for the response again gatorgal! I probably worry about my dogs too much. lol.

GatorgalstuckinGA 01-12-2008 06:34 PM

no worries...one can never worry too much about their animals (: