Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Nursing and not losing!

Last edited by olerito; 11-09-2008 at 01:48 PM.
olerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

Nope, do not drop your calories. La Leche League recommends about 1800 to 2000 calories/day while nursing for weight loss, and frankly I've never been fond of the 1200 cal/day diets so many women go on when they're not nursing (unless you do nothing but lie in bed all day, you can lose weight on more than that!).

A lot of women find it difficult to lose weight while breastfeeding. Math is what says you should lose weight while nursing, because nursing burns approximately the same number of calories in a week that is needed to lose a pound a week. So the theory goes that if you make no other changes, simply breastfeeding will cause you to lose a pound a week.

Biology trumps mathematics every single time. Our bodies do not recognize that there is a McDonald's every two blocks, or even that there is a refrigerator full of food. We are programmed to maintain a certain level of fat stores to ensure lactation, and sometimes your body freaks out by even a slight calorie dip and hangs onto everything you've got to make sure to make milk.

Nursing is so much more important than weightloss. It brings health benefits for both you and baby that nothing else can even come close to. Nurse your baby because she is a human and deserves human milk. Nurse your baby to cut your risk of breast cancer and diabetes. Nurse your baby to cut her risk of allergies and obesity later in life. But don't nurse simply to lose weight, or you will risk winding up frustrated.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 AM   #3  

I'm nursing and trying to lose as well. Have the same challenges as far as trying to balance a healthy, balanced, yet efficient diet. I've just been trying to follow sensible eating (complex carbs, lean protein, low fat dairy and all the fresh produce I want). I've been finding exercising consistently is a major plus. That & avoiding after 8pm snacking...It's tough but I wouldn't give up nursing my baby for the world - it's such a special time Sorry I can't offer much advice other than listen to what your body tells you. If you're not hungry, don't eat it, i guess. I read some days we might not require all of the daily caloric intake, depending on what we've activity we've done, how well we've rested, etc. I also read a breastfeeding mom can safely lose 2lbs/week, which I think is normal for anyone else right? Anyway, good luck! You are sooooo close to your goal!
rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #4  

Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Weight loss didn't really happen for me until I stopped nursing (and I didn't stop nursing just to lose weight. We stopped for other reasons.) I just focused on the benefits to my baby and realized that the so-called benefits for mothers weren't true for women.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #6  

Hey, it's me again I'd LIKE to think breastfeeding does help slim down so don't surrender that belief entirely just yet (any little shred of motivation as far as I'm concerned) I didn't nurse our first child and nothing but caloric restriction and hard core aerobics worked AND I was A LOT younger then I nursed our second and the weight came off almost effortlessly BUT with this one, it's more of a struggle. Might be because I'm even OLDER (been 7 years since our 2nd child), because I had a harder recouperation. I dunno

I totally get small goals, otherwise it's waaay to intimidating huh? My initial goal was to get to 200, now 160, but ultimately, I'd LOVE to be back to the 140s. And my goodness, having only 6 weeks pass - I was still an invalid at that point Don't be too hard on yourself. Wait till that little one starts to want to nurse more, and more. I'm sure you'll see the weight loss then. Hang in there!!!
rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, here is my advice:

~Give it longer than 2 weeks. I don't lose a pound a week like clockwork-I may go 3 weeks without dropping a pound, and then lose 2-3 the next week. It is just the way my body works.

~You never mentioned your activity level. Are you active in your daily life-or are you sedentary? I am not talking exercise-I am talking your day to day activities-basically like comparing a secretary to a waitress. Both work 8 hours a day-but one burns many more calories during that time because it is much more physically active. Also-what about exercise? Diet is only PART of the equation. Are you doing anything? If not at all, or not much-I say up the exercise rather than dropping the calories/points.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #8  

Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #9  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I never find the weight to just fall off, nursing or not. LOL But, I'm not very active most of the time. I have to strictly count calories and lower them down a little until I get to the 1-2 pounds a week loss. And if I'm going along good and hit a plateau, that means its time to lower them a smidge more.

It does sound like you may need to lower your cals. Don't forget your prenatal vitamin.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/142/125

Height: 5'4

Hello ladies!

I too am breastfeeding my 11 week old. The weight should come off after you stopped breastfeeding. If you find that you plateau, like the 2nd poster said, it's your body telling you to hold on to the weight for lactation's sake.

I also read that many women in 3rd world countries who have a very low cal diet (not by choice) had substantial amount of breast milk for their baby. But the downside to it is that your body will suffer in the future....osteoperosis, etc....Meaning that if you don't have enough calories that your body is going to feed on itself which isn't good....

I suggest you stick to the plan and be patient......I kinda am giving in and I know that it'll be awhile till I lose 10 more pounds especially if I am breastfeeding.

Good luck and good health to our babies, keep on breastfeeding!
Julia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #11  
Im not fat im fluffy

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'3

Im nursing too... I cant drop the weight. I have been exersizing and eating well... eating whenever im hungry.. still keeping some fatty foods in my diet... to maintain the milk.. yet, NO LOSS! well since he came out!
Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/137/120

Height: 5'5"

I've been nursing for 17 months now and have had a very difficult time losing weight. In fact, it's been harder for me now than it ever was before I got pregnant or breastfed. I know some others have said it, but it's your body's way of making sure you have enough food for the baby. You're doing such a wonderful thing by breastfeeding and remember that your body will let go of it one of these days. I honestly didn't feel 'normal' again excercising until fairly recently (I think due to hormones). Everything I've read said it takes at least 1 year for your body to *fully* recover from having a baby. Keep working at it and it will come off. By the way, I found that mine came off in spurts, not regularly. I lost 10 lbs at a time usually about in a month with about 3-4 months in between. Who knows why, but that's what my body did. You're dong great! Keep it up!
andreavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nursing made me hold on to weight too. I didn't start really dropping LBS until he was weaned and my hormones leveled off again. Just relax for now and enjoy your baby, they don't stay little for long! I wouldn't do any kind of calorie restriction of any kind in the first 6 weeks, you don't want to effect your milk supply!

Hang in there
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I had a very hard time losing weight with my first and nursing, and this time I am losing weight at a reasonable rate. I think activity level is helping a lot.

There were so many things different between the first pregnancy and the second pregnancy, over all I am healthier now than I was then, and I think that is helping a lot.

I was borderline GD with my first and had blood sugar issues and between went on South Beach, and that seemed to get my blood sugar under control and now I am 85% SBD and things are easier. I dont get as ravenous as I did the first time I nursed.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #15  
outnumbered!

S/C/G: 186/182/140

Height: 5 3

I am nursing my now 2 month old and it's coming off slowly - all my pregnancy weight came right off and then nothing! It was so discouraging. Nursing has never helped me lose at all. Right now I am bloated as all get out because of AF, but before that I had lost only 4 pounds in a month. It's going to take forever, but nursing my son is more important than rapidly getting back into my favorite jeans. although I am DYING to wear them again. LOL - I will wear them to his first birthday though! I am determined!
justcath is offline   Reply With Quote