Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #1  

Default Nursing, exercising, not losing

It's like my body will not let go of any weight. This is driving me up the wall! I've been taking Shaolin Kung-Fu, 60-90min a day, 3-4 days a week, for more than two months now. I've learned that there are places on my body that sweat, where I didn't even know I had sweat glands. I've been watching what I eat. I've cut down on soda, and the little I still drink is diet, and I drink my water each day. I just don't get it. What am I doing wrong?
sleepyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

You are not doing anything wrong. The theory that you'll be guaranteed to lose weight while nursing is based off of math--500 calories a day for nursing equals 3500 calories a week, which is the exact number of calories you need to burn to lose a pound. Biology, however, trumps mathematics every single time. Some of us find that, while nursing, our bodies cling to every last ounce. Our bodies don't want to risk our milk supply--which is as it should be, of course--so sometimes they'll cling to fat stores to ensure there's enough stuff to make milk from.

Even if you're not seeing a change on the scale, rest assured that with your exercise regimen--which looks to be pretty strenuous--you are doing good things for yourself. You are getting into shape, and that's what counts. Make sure you don't cut down your food intake too far--an hour or more of exercise three or four days a week puts you into the "very active" category, I'm betting, try to eat as nutritiously as you can, keep giving your baby that liquid gold, and try not to be too hard on yourself.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
You are not doing anything wrong. The theory that you'll be guaranteed to lose weight while nursing is based off of math--500 calories a day for nursing equals 3500 calories a week, which is the exact number of calories you need to burn to lose a pound.
The drawback to that is that you're also supposed to consume more calories per day when you're nursing. So they kinda cancel each other out. LOL

But it may have nothing to do with nursing. You may just be at a plateau. You could be eating too few calories, retaining water, turning fat to muscle, anything. Try playing around with what you're doing. Try fewer calories if you think you're eating plenty. Try more if you're on a low calorie diet. Try to change your exercise regime and not do the same thing all the time. Try cutting down on sodium, try not snacking in the evenings, try drinking green tea, but most of all...try not to worry. If you're not gaining, you're doing something right.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #4  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

Start measuring your inches. Nursing may make you hold on to fat (though luckily it didn't for me), but it isn't going to make your muscles not respond to hard work. I'd quit focusing on the scale, because it sounds like you are doing great things for your physique (and sometimes that doesn't look so great on the scale for a while)
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote