Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #1  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Default some stress - any advice? :)

Well, Truman is THREE WEEKS old today! I can't believe it. It's flying by!

My MIL flew out on the 21st and will be here til March 11th. Yeah, that's a REALLY long time! LOL It was great the first 4-5 days because I was still recovering (I had surgery at the same time as delivery and not allowed to lift for 2 weeks). But this week, I've felt really good, and it's getting to me to have another person in the house, you know? I'm ready to be alone with my kids now, and just 'be' with them. I want to start finding out what our new 'normal' will be - me, Lucy, and Truman alone together each day while DH is at work.

So, that's kind of stressing me out some. Also I'm uncomfortable nursing in front of her so I've been doing it in the rocker in my bedroom. Not a big deal but it's starting to bug me a bit, like I'm hiding out or something. At least I have a TV in there.

And now I'm worried I've got thrush??? Anyone dealt with this? I've been on antibiotics since Monday and starting Thursday afternoon, I have been having shooting, burning pains in my breasts during and for awhile after nursing. Truman is latched correctly and I know he's getting milk - I feel letdown and I see milk in his mouth, and he spits up a bit sometimes (so I KNOW it went in LOL!), and he's having wet & poopy diapers throughout the day. But my breasts are burning, and ITCHING, externally. Not only the nipples but all over. It's driving me nuts. I pumped a little while ago and it still happened (the itching & burning) but not as bad. Truman is also going through a growth spurt and has been nursing about 20 hours a day it seems! So I guess I need to call the doctor and see if they can 'test' for thrush or just treat me automatically? He doesn't have any white patches in his mouth but I read he could still have it.

And like I said, he's eating constantly, which of course has me second-guessing myself, worried he's not getting enough to eat. Do you think the LCs at the hospital have a scale where I could weigh him before & after a feeding? His ped's office doesn't have one that sensitive, it only measures by ounce but it's not digital or anything, so I don't think it'd really help because he probably only eats 2 ounces each time I'd guess at this age. When he's had expressed milk in bottles a few times he's taken about 2 ounces. I just get nervous if I really start to think about it you know?

Sorry this was so long! I'm not new to lactating but I am new to BFing!

Oh yeah and the weight that came off after delivery is all that's come off, but I've got too many other things to worry about right now!
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

No advice on your mother-in-law except that you might want to plop yourself down in front of a mirror and watch yourself nurse (fully clothed) so you can see how much skin you're really showing, and maybe make a few adjustments. Chances are you're not showing anything, & the reassurance can help you feel more comfortable nursing around people. I mean, you are eventually going to want to go out with Truman, right? I don't want you to feel you have to hide your breastfeeding, but believe me I know it can be nervewracking to begin with, because you think everyone's eyes are on you.

When I had thrush the only symptom I had was itching. Which isn't to say that that isn't what you have. It's definitely worth an appointment, though, because the shooting pain thing sounds like it might be mastitis, or at the very least a plugged duct, which could escalate into mastitis. But I'd bet it's thrush, 'cause you said you're on antibiotics, and I know that can cause a yeast infection (and thrush is a type of yeast infection). You have to treat yourself & Truman at the same time.

If you're concerned about Truman getting enough, by all means talk to a lactation consultant (make sure she's IBCLC certified, so that lactation consultant is more than just a job description!) or your local LaLeche League. They can probably help to ease your worries about him getting enough. As long as he is satisfied after eating, he's getting enough. Trust me, he'd be majorly flipping out if he wasn't getting satisfied. But if a good weighing would allay your fears, then talk to an LC or an LLL leader about it.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #3  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

thanks sabra. it must have been a growth spurt because now he's calmed down and seems much fuller after feedings, and is back to going at least 2 hours in between (usually - he still cluster feeds from dinnertime to bedtime but that seems to be his 'norm').
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

As far as the BFing in front of others-do you have any clothing made specifically for nursing? With clothing made for nursing, you may show a little during the latch on, but it is very possible after you are latched on to walk around wherever you want, positioned correctly, and not show anything at all. I suggest checking out Motherwear.com or Motherhood.com if you have not. I am a modest nurser as well, and I love the "double layer" tops the best. I could latch my son on in another room, position the top layer back over myself for modesty-and come right back out into the living room or kitchen and have a conversation with family.
Also-if you have a Family Dollar store, or Wal-Mart, or anything like that around-heck, you may even have one in your closet-but the "ponchos" that came back into fashion the last couple years are great for nursing. They allow you to be pretty covered up while you latch on and nurse. The fashion ones can be solid material or sheer (lace/chrocheted/etc.) but they still camoflauge a lot. L'oved Baby (use search on your computer to find them) has a stylish poncho made for nursing, that doesn't look like a nursing cover. They are really pretty.
Also, it may help in the beginning to nurse openly but modestly in front of a couple visitors you trust-a close friend who has had children, a sister or mother-someone close to you, and after you feel comfortable covering yourself and nursing discreetly then you can graduate to nursing in other situations.
In restaurants you can nurse discreetly if you ask for a booth near the back-just be on the side facing the least amount of people/restaurant area-and use a poncho or thin recieving blanket to drape with. The booth seating provides some measure of privacy.
Good luck to you.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote