Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #1  
Rachel Randall

Default Hi! Newbie here

My son Connor is almost four months old and I'm still nursing . Thats the positive... the negative is that at 5 feet I now weigh 175 pounds.. I need to get healthy, I've never been this heavy before. I'm depressed and grumpy a lot of the time. Any help to diet would be appreciated. I'm thinking of trying weight watchers... any suggestions??
RachelRandall84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #2  
future lightweight rower

S/C/G: 146/146/135

Height: 5'9"

Hi! Welcome!

I've heard so many good things about Weight Watchers - it is healthy and you can work it into your life. I think once you start eating better and seeing some results, you will start to feel better about things. For me, exercising makes me feel good - are you doing any exercising? Walking or something like that? I'm counting down until I get the okay to start working out again - then I'll start feeling like myself again. I'm probably going to do the South Beach diet after Christmas - for me, if I cut back on high carb foods I feel better too.

It's a tough time of year too right now - Christmas is a stressful time and there's so many high sugar and fatty foods to tempt us. I usually feel the stress of food at this time of year. Plus all of the other stresses that come with the holidays...
toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:36 AM   #3  
resident lactivist

Welcome! Weight Watchers is great if you are one who wants few restrictions on what you eat. (I wouldn't personally recommend Core, but that's 'cause I think fat free cheese is nasty. ) Another great thing about it is that it's easy to combine with just about any other diet plan.

I have to second the exercise thing. I make my hubby watch all 3 girls so I can go for my walks. Even the littlest one can deal by herself for half an hour. If nothing else, it's great for relaxation and getting a reprieve from the boob tick (or ticks, in my case). I also recommend yoga to help relax. It's better if you don't have toddlers around to sit on your head, though...
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #4  
Rachel Randall

For exercise I am walking & doing crunches & other ab work. I didn't realize how out of shape my abs were! One thing thats hard right now is trying to keep a set schedule. My little guy is super fussy and teething, I'm going to have to take your idea Sabra and put baby w/Daddy. I would like to get up early to exercise, but sometimes it's too hard. And I agree that Christmas makes dieting hard! Do you think it makes a difference what time of day you exercise? Or if it's the same time each day?

Thanks for the welcome both of you!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Hi and welcome. I'm planning on walking and strength training after my 6 week check-up. I'll eventually go back to WW. I was on it before I became pg and liked the plan (though I was only on it for 1 month so it's hard to be a good judge of the program! )
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #6  
resident lactivist

Quote:
Do you think it makes a difference what time of day you exercise? Or if it's the same time each day?
Time of day makes a difference in one way: It has to work for you. If you're not at your best when you first wake up (God knows I'm not!) it's a little silly to try to exercise then. Some people find they have a better time of it exercising an hour or two after they eat, others are OK exercising right after eating (I'm in the latter group, personally). Doing it at the same time every day is important IMO, but only because you want it to become a habit. Make an appointment to do it, and then do it. That said, I don't have an exact time; we head over to where I take my walks pretty much as soon as my hubby gets home from work, and that's pretty variable.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #7  
Rachel Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
Time of day makes a difference in one way: It has to work for you. If you're not at your best when you first wake up (God knows I'm not!) it's a little silly to try to exercise then. Some people find they have a better time of it exercising an hour or two after they eat, others are OK exercising right after eating (I'm in the latter group, personally). Doing it at the same time every day is important IMO, but only because you want it to become a habit. Make an appointment to do it, and then do it. That said, I don't have an exact time; we head over to where I take my walks pretty much as soon as my hubby gets home from work, and that's pretty variable.
That's good advice, I think I need to set appts. for myself too.. I def. need to make it a habit or I'll never get it done !! I"ll let you know how I do. For your walking, how far do you walk?? Or do you do a speed thing?? (Like mph), I've read so many different ideas and different articles, but that's different then asking a real persons opinion. So I hope you don't mind me picking your brain.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #8  
resident lactivist

I started out doing distance, because that's what I've always done in the past, but I've started not worrying about that for now. Before I got pregnant I was walking 5 times a week, 6 miles two days & 2 miles 3 days. But I'm not up to that yet; I can barely do a mile right now. So I just quit worrying about distance until I feel a lot better. I was just feeling bad for not being able to go as far.

Do what you can. Walk til you feel yourself getting tired, or until your back starts hurting (if you're like me), then sit & rest for a while, turn around, and go back. When I was in Virginia, I'd walk to a certain little area of shops, have lunch or at least something to drink, then walk home.

Find a way to do it that makes you happy. Lately I've been doing laps around a sort of nature trail on the Air Force base here, which I enjoy because I never encounter anyone else there and I get to watch the ocean and see the planes coming in to land.

I had a treadmill until we moved here, but honestly I hated it. I was always chasing the wall, & I never caught it. But some women love treadmills. So it's definitely a matter of finding out what works for you.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #9  
Rachel Randall

Thanks for the advice all the same! I like the idea of walking to shops, I have a TCBY near my apartment... yum!