Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #1  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Default Feb 2014 Monthly Chat

Well - I admit to dropping off the radar since November. No big surprise as that's when I went back to work. It has taken some time trying to get back into the swing of things with 2 kids now. Thankfully baby girl has been pretty easy.

I have lost 10 lb of my baby weight - but still have ~20lb to go. It is slow going, but trying to keep my eye on the prize. I am running a half-marathon on 2/16 in Austin. My first race in almost a year (last one I was 18weeks pregnant). Wish I could say I was faithfully training for it...but I ended up pulling my calf muscle twice and after that had a sinus infection (as well as the whole family being sick). I'm on the fast-track 3-week training plan!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #2  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

Good luck on your race

I'm feeling very lazy and know it's not all the baby's fault planning exercise in an hour as we speak. I want to actually be one of those hated women that lose a little weight while pregnant.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #3  

Ugh...I am so woefully unprepared for next weekends race! I am trying to get back to my 5am workouts now that everyone is healthy, but baby girl decided to stop sleeping through the night this week! Not sure if it's teething or growth spurt...but wow...on Tue it was up at 11:30pm, 12:30 pm, 1:30am, 5am, & finally 8am - that was a hard day of work on Wed! I know you don't have babies for a good nights sleep, but good grief! She WAS sleeping 10pm-7am!

I'm planning on meeting up with my old running group at 5:30am tomorrow for the old 6.5-mile loop....that's going to be a doozy! I have to make sure I wake up early enough to pump beforehand - that's the new morning addition to the routine...no more sleeping in!

I did sign up for another race in April, maybe I will be better prepared then!

Last edited by LizRR; 02-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #4  

Yeah! I did it! I met up with my running group for the first time in almost a year, did 6.5-miles @ 5:30am! Now time to make some gluten-free pumpkin pancakes for the family...HAVE A GREAT SATURDAY!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Lizz! YAY for getting up early!! There's no way I could run a marathon at 18 weeks. I was told to stop running and for a while even stop walking. So during that time I lost that and now with my centre of gravity changed...yeah NO WAY am I running. But I walk. My mom gave me a fit bit for Christmas and it's more or less addicting.

The stairs are getting tough and I'm only 25 weeks. Not looking forward to how puffy and out of breathe I'll feel in 10 weeks but people keep telling me I look great. Sometimes I tell them it's all smoke and mirrors sometimes I just smile and think "great, I'm fooling you!"

Last edited by Ishbel; 02-11-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

Being at 18 weeks right now, there's no way you're getting this chick to do anything more than waddle - I can't imagine running! I have my 20 week appointment next Friday (we're going to find out the genders!), which happens to fall the day before my birthday - so we're going to wait and find out for my birthday. :-) I've moved on to maternity clothes since my old ones were no longer fitting, and my mom said I look like a ragamuffin.

In other news, I have a third UTI - which is disconcerting. My doctor said we'll talk about prophylaxis (I think that's just another version of long-term antibiotics). But in the meantime, I'm scared that the antibiotics I'm taking won't work, and I hate being on antibiotics. At least I know my body enough to know when something's wrong. I guess it barely even registered having a UTI, but still, the fact they keep coming back is quite frustrating!

I've been tired a lot and super hormonal - like cry at everything. I got a swim pass last night and have been swimming, which helps me feel better physically. I'm feeling blessed that I don't have any aches and pains (other than my uterus stretching twice as fast with twins), but I'm sure they'll come...

How are you all?

Last edited by JulesMarion; 02-11-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

JulesMarion - are you eating yogurt or taking a probiotic? My family (pets included) find that it definitely helps prevent secondary infections that occur when you are already on antibiotics.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I'll join here too. I'm really boring today though. I have a bit of a headache and don't even feel like looking at the computer screen. But I'm 13 weeks today which is exciting!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

Congrats on hitting the second trimester, gretel!

I am sitting here eating yogurt right now, and I have changed my daily habits to include about 12 oz. of pure cranberry juice (nasty tart stuff that burrrrrns your throat) - but I mix it with some grape juice and it's better. So I split that between morning & night, and then I plan on eating yogurt at least once a day. I know that you can get a yeast infection easily after antibiotics, but what I keep getting is UTI's. I'm going a little nuts changing all of my habits to make sure I'm protecting myself. Hopefully it'll work...
Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #10  

gretel Congrats on the second trimester!

Jules I started probidics probably 3ish years ago and have never stopped taking my 'one' pill (used to be two one in the morning and one at night) and the more research I do on them the more I think they are a gift to be used. They are good for immunity, good for tummy issues, good for a lot of things (google them). My doc is ok that I'm on them during pregnancy and in fact I have been on three rounds of antibodics (two for a sinus infection that wouldn't go away and one for a root canal) and haven't gotten any yeast infections AT ALL! Pharmasist told me because I'm diligent at taking them I probably wouldn't have a problem and he was right.

I was diagnosed with a haitus hernia when I was heavy. It settled losing weight but now it's back (apparently they never really go away) because baby is taking up the room and pushing up. I spent a few days without eating anything and went to the doc yesterday. I felt bloated but I guess it was the acids coming back up. When I look back I bet this has been bugging me for a few months because I remember asking my friend for my wedge pillow back a few weeks ago because "I feel bloated at night and maybe it would help" I'm now on Zantac for the week and then as required. I took two yesterday and finally got a sleep. This morning I thought "ok try just taking one" and went to work. Yeah can't find the little sleeve I brought specifically for work and TUMS don't work for me AT all! So I had my normal salad and I still feel bloated It's like I had a turkey supper. Can't wait to get home to pop a Zantac (it made me feel so much better yesterday).

OK! pity party is over!

Last edited by Ishbel; 02-12-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Lizz! YAY for getting up early!! There's no way I could run a marathon at 18 weeks. I was told to stop running and for a while even stop walking. So during that time I lost that and now with my centre of gravity changed...yeah NO WAY am I running. But I walk. My mom gave me a fit bit for Christmas and it's more or less addicting.

The stairs are getting tough and I'm only 25 weeks. Not looking forward to how puffy and out of breathe I'll feel in 10 weeks but people keep telling me I look great. Sometimes I tell them it's all smoke and mirrors sometimes I just smile and think "great, I'm fooling you!"
Well, full disclosure that "running" was more "jog-walking" during pregnancy...I remember taking about 6 pee breaks during the race! I am not expecting to break any records this weekend, but it should be fun. I did stick with Powerflex through the end though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMarion View Post
In other news, I have a third UTI - which is disconcerting. My doctor said we'll talk about prophylaxis (I think that's just another version of long-term antibiotics). But in the meantime, I'm scared that the antibiotics I'm taking won't work, and I hate being on antibiotics. At least I know my body enough to know when something's wrong. I guess it barely even registered having a UTI, but still, the fact they keep coming back is quite frustrating!

I've been tired a lot and super hormonal - like cry at everything. I got a swim pass last night and have been swimming, which helps me feel better physically. I'm feeling blessed that I don't have any aches and pains (other than my uterus stretching twice as fast with twins), but I'm sure they'll come...

How are you all?
Just 3rding on the probiotics, we take them regularly here!Stinks about the UTI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretel View Post
Hi! I'll join here too. I'm really boring today though. I have a bit of a headache and don't even feel like looking at the computer screen. But I'm 13 weeks today which is exciting!
Congrats on rounding out of first (trimester!).
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #12  
Momof4

We get our probiotics through keifer water and sourkraut mostly. Good thing my kids love both

I restarted (after taking a month lazy break) exercising this past weekend and think I may have overdone it a bit. I was sore for a few days but I'm happy to report that I do think it helped with all the pelvic pain I was having. I just feel like this baby is sitting on my bones and grinding them to death. It's bee rough but the past few days have been much better. So more walking scheduled for tonight
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagazim View Post
We get our probiotics through keifer water and sourkraut mostly. Good thing my kids love both

I restarted (after taking a month lazy break) exercising this past weekend and think I may have overdone it a bit. I was sore for a few days but I'm happy to report that I do think it helped with all the pelvic pain I was having. I just feel like this baby is sitting on my bones and grinding them to death. It's bee rough but the past few days have been much better. So more walking scheduled for tonight
Ohhhh - I am actually going to order some kefir grains and start to culturing my sons coconut milk. It's way too expensive at the store and I know that homemade has better 'pow' with respect to probiotics. Good to hear your pelvic pains are subsiding - I exercised throughout #2 and credit that with staying pain-free and quick post-partum recovery. It was a different story with #1 (obese/sedentary with A LOT of inflamation & back issues)!!!

I went running 4 miles this morning, another 6 miles tomorrow, then a rest day......then....my half marathon on Sunday! I don't expect great things, but I should finish! It's in Austin, looking forward to a little trip, it's a fun town. My parents are meeting up with us from San Antonio so we'll have some extra babysitters around.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #14  

So I am off to a bigger city centre tomorrow to see if the jogging stroller I want will fit into my little economical small car, kinda excited. I'm pretty sure also that I'm going to graduate to leggings as I'm making a trip to Costco. I have three pairs of pants that I can wear right now (mat pants) and I don't want to buy anymore and I'm SO freaking BORED with my clothes lol. So I asked my gf's at work if they thought it would matter if I just started wearing leggings with boots now (since I'm showing and it's obvious lol) and really is there much of a difference between skinny jeans and leggings. VIP said "you're pregnant, no one will say a thing" gf's said "yeah you'll be fine in leggings"

Nagazim I've never heard of Keifer Water - thanks I'll do some looking into it.

LizRR I don't care if you want to call it jog/walking you still ran a half marathon at 18 weeks and that's still AWESOME.

JulesMarion Hope you're feeling better!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #15  
Momof4

I bought my grains through Culture's For Health. I haven't had an issue with them at all other than they won't multiply. They're still producing some awesome Keifer none-the-less.

LizRR - I haven't tried the dairy version (even though coconut milk isn't a dairy I believe you'd still use the grains that are suited for milk cultures. Let me know how it goes!

Ishbel - I wouldn't worry to much if people did have an issue with your leggings. pppffftttt to them!

I'm having anxiety about hot summer pregnancy. I'm usually really hot anyways. I think I'll just live in the pool from May - July.
Closed Thread