Insanity, weight gain and pregnancy planning

• So , I'm 3 weeks in to insanity (love it, its changed my body! Muscles) and I've gained about 8 lbs. Has anyone had this? Feels like my fat has shifted! Some clothes fit better while others do not.

For the moms out there, did you do any type of exercises during your pregnancy? Did you find it changed your pregnancy for the better? Im wanting to continue insanity as long as I can.

Did you struggle gaining weight during your pregnancy? Emotionally that is..

I'm not pregnant but next month or so we're going to actively try. is there any suggestions for me? Sorry for this being such a general post, but I have no women I can talk to.
  • I have not yet done Insanity (it is on my very soon to do list) but I have had a gain/stall when I add a new routine. It is rather common, what with muscle toning and water retention. Your body grabs hold of the water to repair your muscles and you need more when you exercise than when you do not. And if you add in an intense exercise, like Insanity, you had better believe you will retain water. It usually takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks for your body to adjust to the new activity level before the water retention balances itself out. In the meantime, just make sure to drink extra extra water...more water in will make the body release the stores it holds on to because it won't fear when the next drop comes

When I was pregnant, I was unable to exercise, I was too high risk. Up until that point, I was working out daily. however, when even if I was not high risk, I would have had to tone it down some. You want to keep your heart rate lower when pregnant then when not so you do not starve your unborn child of oxygen. I read somewhere to keep your heart rate below 140 beats per minute. And obviously, as you get larger, cut back to more gentle exercises, such as yoga.

I did not struggle with weight gain, but that was because I knew I HAD to gain 20-25 pounds for my child to be healthy. And since I wanted my child more than anything else in the world, I just went with it despite the fact I had JUST lost that weight. And I stayed at 22 pounds gained. It was after pregnancy that I gained...and kept gaining. I guess I jsut got lazy after so many months of bed rest.
  • Ok cool, thank you so much for responding!!!
  • I walked during my first/second trimester, but after that I hurt too much to continue exercising (had some pregnancy complications, too). I am not a big exerciser in general, though.

I definitely struggled emotionally with weight gain during pregnancy. It was really hard for me. Mostly because I just don't like myself when I'm heavy. And I'm not used to it, either. I found the thing that helped me the most was focusing on what I was going to do AFTER the baby was born. I prepped healthy foods and froze them. I spent hours developing a reasonable exercise plan. I talked to other moms about their healthy lifestyles. I read articles about losing the baby weight. And I also developed reasonable expectations for myself. Because having a baby does change a lot of things.
  • Quote: Because having a baby does change a lot of things.
    Tell me about it Never knew what a "mother's apron" was. Even at my heaviest, prior to pregnancy, never had one. Heck, never even HEARD the term before! Now, totally got one. HATE HATE HATE it!

Small price to pay for my ADORABLE wee one though
  • When I was pg with my twins I walked as much as I could but got very, very slow by the time the third trimester rolled around. With my now 5-week-old (don't let anyone tell you lactational amenorrhea is good birth control. That's how I wound up with 3 kids under 18 months old!) I stayed quite active the whole time. I really had a hard time with running endurance once I got past the first trimester but walking, yoga, and weightlifting were fine.
  • I'm hoping I won't have complications. No one in my family has ever had any, they seem to all be the happy, non sick pregnant ladies (though they over heat, so everyone else FREEZES).

Did you find that exercising has helped you get pregnant?

Oh wow! Haha terrible birth control! !! I'm not on any, haven't been for about 6 years. Was on the Depo shot (do not recommend).

Did anyone get pregnant right after losing/very close to goal?