Spring/Summer 2012 Mamas

You're on Page 7 of 60
Go to
  • Spent half the night last night throwing up, and the other half tossing and turning uncomfortably. Needless to say, i'm extremely tired and still need to do dishes and pick up the apartment.

Eating today has been **** and again with the carbs, the only thing I could keep down was a double cheesburger. Bleck. I'm so sick of eating bad but everything else makes me sick.

Throwing my dad a surprise birthday party this weekend, and because it's at my place, I get all the joys of setting up, hosting and cleaning up for over 100 people. This shall be fun. Also, family from another state is coming in and they have no clue i'm pregnant so this should be fun always being the baby of the family to being a grown woman.

Sakai- I understand your fear with the drinking. I was sooo worried about it until I had my ultrasound and found I actually concieved three days after I had thought, which the whole week before I was on a drinking spree celebrating friends birthdays, trashed every night. My doctor said as long as it wasn't more than one or two nights, it's still a low chance of having any alcohol related defects. And X-Rays aren't to bad as long as they have the apron on, i believe it's lead? and there can be no harm done if it was covering your abdomen.

Gale- Mine already has a big head lol Me and my boyfriend both have large heads, and the head was measuring bigger also. Ha. If I get an epidural, fine. I just want to try to do it without it. It depends on the pain. I thought about a water birth because our hospital has whirlpool tubs which I think would be a great relief for pain.
  • Just wanted to say "hi", am a newly preggo mama due August 3rd. This is my second baby. First one after losing 80lbs, though, should be interesting.
  • Oh my gosh my weight is out of control! I'm NOT eating too much....It's a habit, so I still count calories. In fact, I'm worried I'm not eating ENOUGH for being in my second trimester!! This morning, I hit the 16 pound mark! That's a pound for every week I've been pregnant for NO REASON! Coming into this I didn't have any problems....I maintained my weight of 140 pounds with 1,800 calories a day without an issue. I'm only eating 1,900 now. And gaining like crazy. 5 pounds this week alone.

My doctor wasn't worried at my last visit, but I go again in a couple of weeks. I'm going to make him listen to me. There's a huge family history of diabetes in my family, and I'm seriously worried now about gestational diabetes with the rate at which I'm gaining.
  • So today a coworker up on a ladder watched me walk by and went...
    "Are you preggo?" (which always makes me think of pasta sauce.)
    For one I was like 'crap I look like I'm pregnant.' another part of me was like 'Yay! I look like I'm pregnant and not fat!'
    Two seconds later she was like...."that's a awkward question to ask someone.."
    I guess she has a blurting problem lol.

My ultrasound is wednesday at 11:30 am - this is a bit of a issue...it's smack in the middle of my sleep. if it was much eairlier or much later then it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but it's almost right in the middle of the "Night" for me. The good news is that I'm off work tuesday so I won't be so tired that I can't stay up on wednesday morning. But I'll loose 4 hours or so of sleep I really, really need. I'm thinking of taking a personal day off...not sure if they will let me at work. But I'm thinking of saving it (I only have 3) for the OB appointment I have on a friday and 3:30 in the afternoon. (the only time they had open)
    It really sucks to be pregnant on the night shift >.<

Also my back is starting to KILL me. I almost had to stop working last night because I just couldn't move. I took some painkillers (pregnancy legal) and it helped take the edge off. but it still terrified me that I won't be able to work much longer.
  • Glad to see everyone is doing well aside from the headaches, nausea, vomiting and backaches

As for me I think I am developing gestational diabetes already My eating has been pretty bad the last few weeks and very high in carbs which has been what I can keep down and actually want to eat. Anyway I have been testing my blood sugars randomly and my fasting have been fine but last week I got a few higher readings 2 hours after eating pretty high carb meals. I am upset by this but know the steps I need to take in trying to control it. I am taking heart that my blood sugars were not high during the critical development times (5-8weeks) but I still worry. I am going to start tracking my food intake again starting today and am really trying to eat low carb. I started taking a b-complex which is supposed to help with the nausea and your body breaking down carbs so I am hoping this will help.

Last night I had a hard time falling back asleep because I have been worried about the baby. I do feel the occasional flutter and bump but it is not daily yet or with any consistency so when i don't feel anything for awhile I start to get nervous. I can not wait till movement is stronger and more consistent. Using my mantra a lot these past few days and really trying to stay positive.

Hope everyone has a great week. Looking forward to your update Sakai after your ultrasound.
  • I'm still feeling no movement...I want something to MOVE already!!!
  • First off, to FattymcFatty (although even typing your username makes me sad! From now on, I'll refer to you as MamaMcPreggo!). Where in NorCal are you?

Mindi - as much as I hate it, cutting the carbs back really moderated my weight gain, at least so far. And I'm not nearly as hungry! I'm trying to only eat starches at meals, in moderate amounts, and keep my snacks and breakfast protein-heavy. I feel your pain, though...before I started watching what I was doing with the protein/carb balance, I was up 13 lbs in the same amount of time you have.

Sakai - I'm convinced I still look just fat. There's a "bump" that I can see, but I've seen enough non-pregnant bodies with fat in the same place my bump is that I don't think it can possibly be that obvious to anyone who doesn't know. I can't imagine being on the night shift...hang in there!

Butterfly - sometimes if you don't eat ENOUGH, your blood sugar can get wonky. That doesn't mean that in the second trimester, when you can eat a little more and you have less aversion going on, your sugars will still be abnormal. So just do the best you can!

As for me, I'm going to a 2D ultrasound at one of those 3D/4D centers tomorrow to try to get a gender. Normally I'd wait for my 20 week, but we REALLY wanted to do some sort of cute gender announcement to the grandparents on Christmas, which means we need to know BEFORE then, and I couldn't get in for that 20 week anatomy scan until Jan 3. So we're hoping to find out tomorrow whether we have a boy or a girl in there.

Spent this past weekend at my FIL's house...they just had twins via surrogate, so I got my fill of baby cuddles (and diaper changing practice!). OK, it's a little strange that my kid's aunt and uncle will be only 7 months older, BUT we got SO MANY HAND ME DOWNS. All of their newborn clothes, a perfect swing, a completely unused 350 dollar breast pump...so there are perks!
  • Mandalinn- I'm a tad jealous if you can find out the gender tomorrow. My appointment is also on Jan 3rd, in my 23rd week. I'm so anxious. I just want to go shopping already! Originally I was going to send out christmas cards announcing the pregnancy, but they couldn't get me in before christmas either

Mindi- I've only felt baby move twice and i'm 18 1/2 weeks. Once in my 15th week during a super scary part in a moving, I think I startled baby by my heart beating extra fast and me jumping and screaming. And once when I was sleeping in my 17th week. I wish I had movement too! I know there's a heartbeat but I'm always just so nervous and baby moving would make me feel SOOOO much better.

Fatty- Welcome =] My best friend is due on August 3rd as well. When do you get your first ultrasound?

Sakai- Can't wait to hear about the ultrasound. Soo exciting!

My stomach is officially hard all the time, and you can see a little "bump" versus my fat. I think I just look fat but people keep telling me it's rounder. Headaches haven't been too bad this week. I also figured out when I take my prenatals at night, or right after I've eaten, it's much less likely to give me afternoon/evening sickness or headaches. Have been super hungry this week though, I feel like i could eat out a whole grocery store. I've also slept really well for the past couple nights. I think it's been because I was soo exhausted but it was well needed.

The surprise party for my dad went well. I haven't seen him so happy in such a long time. My family wasn't pushy on me, surprisingly, rather supportive and happy for me. They weren't too happy when they found out last year so I figured it wouldn't be much better this time around.
  • It should be far enough along that we can tell, it's just a question of whether the little munchkin gets into position. It's 65 dollars for the 2D package, but we're OK throwing some money at this problem to get an answer!

I have a gigantic headache and have for two days. I think it's my shoulder and neck acting up and shooting up into my head. The 8 hour roadtrip, each way, did a number on me.
  • Good luck on the ultrasound Amanda!!! Hope that little one cooperates!

I'm just weighing myself once a week now. This up and down every day was driving me nuts. From Monday last week to Monday this week I had no change at all in my weight. So I'm sticking with that. Not worried about it just yet, since I've gained so much so far. Just gonna keep adding some calories in (healthy calories of course) and see what the doctor says next week.

My stomach is harder at night. Actually, in the morning I'm nearly as flat as before I got pregnant (just a little wider!). At night, I've got a definite bump going, and I can put my hands on either side of it and it feels hard. Guess I'm just preggo at night!
  • So we did have a cooperative little... BOY!

I'm thrilled. I had a feeling all along that the baby would be a he, but there was NO mistaking it on the ultrasound. Everything looked good, heartbeat was fabulous, and we got lots of pictures (including a few previews in 3D).
  • Mandalinn- so excited for you! Glad you could find out the gender and that he's healthy.

Its 330 am. I can't get comfy for some odd reason tonight, have a horrible backache and feel like throwing up. I've also got a cold and horrid cough now and am getting sicker so its hard to breathe when laying. How I love 12 degree weather... not.

Tis gonna be a long day.
  • Quote: So we did have a cooperative little... BOY!

I'm thrilled. I had a feeling all along that the baby would be a he, but there was NO mistaking it on the ultrasound. Everything looked good, heartbeat was fabulous, and we got lots of pictures (including a few previews in 3D).
    Congrats on finding out its a Boy . Ive been reading threw your ladies post but not part of this group I am due in the Winter Feb. but it gets kinda boring over in the weight check in lol. Looking forward to you other ladies finding out what you are having its coming soon for you guys. I have around 7 to 10 weeks before I met my little man I cant wait
  • Hey Ky! Congrats!

I'm getting punished for my relatively easy first trimester with some crazy symptoms now! First, the headaches have escalated and are now maybe happening twice as much. Second, I have this rash on my calves that randomly appears and itches like my skin is on fire...no idea what that is about. Third, it appears the loosening of the pelvic joints has caused either sciatica (not as likely this early) or pelvic girdle pain, which hurts right under my left glute. I'm a little uncomfortable this week!
  • Mandalinn - Congrats on the boy!!! Boys are fun, I love being a mama to my sweet boy Sorry about the crazy headache, rash and sciatica.

Keller- Having a cold when pregnant really sucks Sending you healing vibes.

Sakai- thinking of you today and having your ultrasound.

As for me my nausea is a little less then it has been which is good. Been getting the odd mild headache but not too bad. Also my blood sugars have not been pretty good this week so I am feeling a bit better about that. Waiting to hear back from the midwife clinic about when my next apt will be, supposed to be in 3 weeks but I guess it may be in the new year. Oh and I have been feeling much more flutters and bumps the last 2 days

Ok wishing everyone a happy healthy symptom free week Hopefully we will all be feeling our little ones a lot more in the next few weeks!