3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pregnant - Nursing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing-173/)
-   -   Spring/Summer 2012 Mamas (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing/246722-spring-summer-2012-mamas.html)

Gale02 11-14-2011 05:52 PM

My Dr also says to stay away from Google. There are too many what-ifs and pregnant women tend to quickly digress from being informed into paranoia.

Manda - I never get headaches when I'm not pregnant and I get at least one a week when I'm pregnant. I think my Dr told me it had something to do with the increased blood flow. I'm sorry you're having so many migraines, that's really tough. :(

butterflymama 11-14-2011 09:01 PM

Yeah Google can really lead you down a path of fear. Not healthy.

Keller- I am glad your worries are dissipating and you are enjoying your pregnancy :hug:

Mandalinn - I had a low lying placenta with my son and by the 21 week ultrasound it had nicely moved away from my cervix and was no longer a concern. I never had migraines until I had children, they really suck. I found a little caffeine helped. I really feel for you having to deal with them weekly :(

So went for my first midwife visit today and after doing some palpation and looking at dates she thinks I am closer to 10 weeks then 6. Will go for a dating ultrasound sometime next week.

mandalinn82 11-15-2011 11:19 AM

Apparently this migraine wants to hang on for a second day. I really wish I had enough free time to try to sleep it off, but between work and caretaking responsibilities (I take care of my grandfather and his long term girlfriend, who live in an assisted living facility less than a mile from us. The facility does meals and cleaning and etc, but we have to get the girlfriend dressed in the morning and in Depends, and they like visits, so we're there 1-2 times a day), I have no time to sleep. Hopefully it'll calm down next week.

I keep trying to get up the nerve to tell my boss and failing. I have to tell him before Thanksgiving...that's when we're going public on Facebook, and his wife is my friend.

Gale02 11-15-2011 12:46 PM

What are you worried about with telling your boss? Are you planning on going back to work after baby is born or is it a "I'm leaving, eventually" kind of thing?

mandalinn82 11-15-2011 02:07 PM

Oh no, I'll definitely be back. I am just considered "key personnel" in that there is no one else who does my job, so I know me being out for 6 weeks full time and another 2 weeks part time (which is what I'm requesting) is going to be rough. I work from home, which will help in letting me get back sooner.

Originally I had hoped to time my work announcements to be after performance reviews (I have no reason to believe that my workplace would in any way change my review on the basis of me being pregnant, I just think it's good to be prudent if you can, since you never know if people will have subconscious reactions that change their perception of you), but the reviews moved out to Jan/Feb which is really too late.

I'm sort of shy/nervous about telling people in general. We went out to lunch with friends on Sunday, and I got all blushy and weird telling THEM. Our conception does raise some unique questions, and talking about the donor/process I'm fine with, but the questions are interesting...plus I'm not good at being the center of attention or making big announcements (I felt the same way at my bridal shower and wedding).

In fact, one of the things I REALLY am not looking forward to is telling my grandpa and his girlfriend...not because they aren't supportive (they were both at my wedding and love my wife, that part isn't an issue), but because they both (Lyn particularly) have memory problems that mean I will have to tell them over and over and over again once I start showing more than I can hide. Lyn has forgotten that Sarah and I are married, and often asks if she can set me up with her sons, so I have a feeling it's definitely going to be interesting.

MindiV 11-15-2011 03:43 PM

Do any of you anticipate problems at work with your requested time off? I'm entitled to up to 12 weeks family leave, and I want to take six. Well, the new publisher is trying to say that my plan of taking my weeks unpaid is not going to work, and that I have to take all of my vacation and sick time first.

That's not what's in the handbook...it says people on family leave MAY choose to take vacation and sick time before going unpaid, but that sick leave people MUST take it. Since I'd be taking family leave, I fall under the MAY category.

So now I'm stressing out about what the heck is going on with my time off in the spring. And like Amanda, I'm also a key employee. They are literally talking hiring a full-time person to replace me for six weeks.

And on top of that, DH is whining about his job now. He hates it, but won't give it up for a job with less money. He makes GOOD money for what he does, and will never find a job making as much with the same circumstances (being home every night) that he has now. So he's taking it out on me and driving me INSANE complaining and doing nothing about anything.

butterflymama 11-15-2011 08:55 PM

It still amazes me that people in America only get 6 weeks leave :( In Canada we get 12 mons. I seriously don't know how you guys do it.

justhamade 11-15-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandalinn82 (Post 4101061)
I've seen a whole bunch of you out there in the March - June range...anyone want a 3FC support group?

It's amazing how the food pushers come out when you're pregnant! With PCOS, my gestational diabetes risk is really high, so I'm trying to keep an eye on my carb intake. You'd think I was not eating anything by the way people react!

Congrats.

Sakai 11-16-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflymama (Post 4109479)
It still amazes me that people in America only get 6 weeks leave :( In Canada we get 12 mons. I seriously don't know how you guys do it.

Yeah America is pretty far behind when it comes to that sort of thing. Though I think it's 12 weeks, Mindvi only wants to take 6. (because our time off is unpaid,(unless we use sick days and vacation, some famillies are not able to afford to take the whole 12 weeks.)

Hi! I know I'm a bit late to the thread. Due Mid june with my first. Still Unsure how/what we're going to do after the baby comes. We're about 100% sure we can't afford to keep this baby as we are right now. DF might go find a different job, but it's risky to give up a stable job for one that might not even be out there.

weight wise I gained 10 pounds but I haven't weighed myself this week. I'm a bit depressed that I gained so much when i'm only 8 weeks along. On the good side... the morning sickness seems to have died down. The only problem is the two hour nap I seem to need right in the middle of the day. (possible only on my weekends) I'm hoping to get back onto my vegitarian lifestyle now that I can stomach most veggies again ^.^

Gale02 11-16-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakai (Post 4109792)

Hi! I know I'm a bit late to the thread. Due Mid june with my first. Still Unsure how/what we're going to do after the baby comes. We're about 100% sure we can't afford to keep this baby as we are right now. DF might go find a different job, but it's risky to give up a stable job for one that might not even be out there.

Honestly, babies aren't that expensive. If you can forgo most of the gear, they're pretty manageable. Especially if you have insurance to pay for the OB care and well baby checks. All you really need is a car seat and a place for baby to sleep. Some diapers (cloth is always an option. Less convenient, but WAY cheaper.), food is free if you breastfeed, and a few onesies. That's about it. The rest of it is pretty much gravy. Think about how the pioneers did it, they didn't have all of the fancy gadgets we have now and their kids were just fine. Do what you can with what you have, a loving home is what's most important! :)

butterflymama 11-16-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale02 (Post 4110039)
Honestly, babies aren't that expensive. If you can forgo most of the gear, they're pretty manageable. Especially if you have insurance to pay for the OB care and well baby checks. All you really need is a car seat and a place for baby to sleep. Some diapers (cloth is always an option. Less convenient, but WAY cheaper.), food is free if you breastfeed, and a few onesies. That's about it. The rest of it is pretty much gravy. Think about how the pioneers did it, they didn't have all of the fancy gadgets we have now and their kids were just fine. Do what you can with what you have, a loving home is what's most important! :)

I agree with this. I didn't have all the gadgets. I used cloth diapers that I washed myself, bought most of them used and you can find some great free pattern on how to make diapers and diaper covers. My car seat was a shower gift. I wore my baby, also some great free patterns on how to make a wrap or ring sling on line. Also you can find some great second hand clothing as babies tend to grow out of stuff before it wears out. Oh and when my DS was starting solids at 7 mons I did baby led weaning so would just give him hunks of real food like avocado, banana etc, never bought or used "baby food"

Oh and welcome and congrats :)

mandalinn82 11-16-2011 11:15 AM

Sakai - WELCOME! And Congratulations!

Headache day 3.

mandalinn82 11-16-2011 11:18 AM

Oh, and Mindi, I'm pretty sure that if your handbook says "may", you're good. But I'd talk to whoever handles your payroll/HR to be sure. Bring the handbook when you go in.

Annita 11-16-2011 11:25 AM

just wanted to pop in and say congratz Sakai.
Now back to bed =.=" [i've been craving sleep like, all day]. I think I can sleep whole day without even feeling hungry. Weird.

MindiV 11-16-2011 11:45 AM

We can take up to 12 weeks, but the new guy in charge is already freaking out at the prospect of me taking off six. I'll be lucky to make it that long.

The HR person said the company offers no short-term disability...she's checking on the unpaid time off. Keep your fingers crossed!

I haven't had a baby before, but I don't believe babies HAVE to be expensive. Sure the necessities cost money (especially diapers if you don't/can't use cloth)...but there's a lot of "stuff" out there that isn't necessary. We're also going to do some second-hand store, resale shop and garage sale shopping for some items...of course others, like car seats, carriers and beds, will be new.