Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #1  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Default Being sliced in half sucks

I just need to vent/whine/cry and get it out. I didn't complain about my emergency c-section after 19 wonderful hours of zen-labor, anticipating my second v birth. I didn't complain or even react, really, when they said my "she" was now my "he" because I was just so incredibly thankful he was alive and healthy. I hardly complained at all when I was stuck in the hospital with pneumonia for a week just a couple days after we went home with the baby.

Okay but now I'm complaining. I want my body...back. It was not in great shape to begin with, but at least I didn't feel severed, literally, from some of my muscles. I tried to do sit-ups tonight, something that wasn't easy for me before, but tonight was literally impossible to do in any version of "correct" form. I tried so hard, but my body just wouldn't respond, it just literally would not do what I was trying to do! I don't know how to describe it other than like it was totally severed and I had no control.

I'm mad that I had a c-section. I'm pissed. I don't like the recovery. I don't like the potential decision I'll have to make for our next child of C or V birth, I don't like not being in control of all parts of my body. 6 weeks ago I couldn't physically lift my legs off the ground to do leg lifts. In 6 weeks, I will be able to churn out a good set of crunches.

But tonight I'm just going to be a little bit sad that I feel chopped in half and broken. Like my body is not my own.

/wah wah wah
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #2  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey there! I had a C-Section last Tuesday, and I can empathize with wanting to be "back". Granted, my C was scheduled, and I have always felt that they are worse to recover from if you have labored. Sorry your birth didn't go as planned.

For what it's worth, I've read that sit-ups/crunch type exercises can actually make things worse for us c-section mamas, especially if there's any sort of diastis. At least until we are COMPLETELY healed...and that takes months, if not a year. With my first C Section, I had more success doing pilates/yoga style exercises... plank type stuff. It's not as hard on your muscles. Also, when I would walk/jog, I'd focs on keeping my core pulled in. It helped. Google "ab exercises post c section" and a lot of great stuff pops up.

I'm looking forward to being able to exercise again. 5 more weeks and I should be able to. I hope! I also hope you start feeling better soon. ((hugs))

Last edited by Tanna Banana; 08-24-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sarah, congratulations on the new baby boy. Sorry you are having trouble. You are recovering from surgery , it takes a little while to get back to normal.Take one step at a time and you will start feeling better soon.Tanna gave you some good suggestions and she knows exactly what you are talking about.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/236/154

Height: 5'6"

When did you deliver?
You should definitely hold off on physical activity (more than brisk walk) for at least 6 weeks, post section and I would hold off on crunches even later.
You will heal, and it will come back, but you need to rest to heal!
Britt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #5  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

He was born April 12, so it's been a little over 4 months. I know it will take time, I have just been feeling very discouraged. In a year I know I'll be so glad I started when I did, and didn't leave it to get worse, ya know?
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4

I know how you feel. My 1st birth was a emergency c-section, and I felt everything you are feeling (plus a little more, I went down a spiral of PPD and PTSD for the next year and few months but thats another story) Im so sorry. I went on to have two vbacs at home, and that was helpful.

It took me about 3 months to be able to really move around on my own.
Persephone926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

Hang in there, sweetie. I'm a student midwife and I work as a postpartum doula. It can feel SO bad and overwhelming sometimes, and I see it in my clients, but you will be amazed at how resilient your body is. You gave the most precious gift to your little one, and you will bounce back. It just takes time. Try starting with something a little easier on those muscles than sit-ups or crunches. Those are about the epitome of abdominal workout - they should be your end goal, not the starting one! Work on core strengthening, and try to get back muscle tone around your scar. Focus perhaps on healthy eating right now, rather than your abs. It can take up to 18 months (and sometimes longer for women of size) to recover from a C-section. Give yourself the time, and work on loving your baby and your body with good, healthy food and activities. When those muscles have healed a bit more, you will be able to do those sit-ups again. *hugs*
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote