You know your body!

• I thought I would share this amusing story.

After spending the day in a spa whirlpool, I felt like I might be getting a bladder infection (a UTI). I knew I was seeing my doctor on tuesday so in the meantime, I super hydrated and ate more yogurt than usual. I didn't have the normal UTI symptoms of burning while urinating or having to go every two seconds... except I always felt the pressure to go -- but HELLO? I'm 38 weeks pregnant! Of course I have to pee all the time.

By tuesday, I still felt what I described as "a shadow of a urinary tract infection." Like it MIGHT be there.

My doc did a stick test and it was negative but when she heard that I had already been hydrating a lot and still feeling it she said there was no harm in sending my urine off to be cultured.

Culturing takes 3 days -- so today I was walking with a friend of mine who is a Nurse Practitioner and she asked me how I was feeling. "Fine. I have to go all the time but no blood in my urine, no pain while urinating." She said that I probably was mistaking the baby sitting on my bladder for a bladder infection. She's also VERY pregnant and we laughed about our little bladder infections (our soon due children).

But I did feel a little bit like a hypochondriac!

My doctor calls today and asks me how I feel. I tell her and she's shocked, "Well, according to the lab culture, you have a raging bladder infection. Let's get you some antibiotics."

My moral to the story is: You know your body! Something did not feel right. I'm glad I got it checked out. I would hate to have a kidney infection and mistake it for labor!
  • Very amusing story! I had two separate bladder infections when I was pregnant as well. It will all be worth it when you hold your newborn in your arms. All the pain of labor and the worry of what-will-he/she-look-like, will-he/she-have-all-his/her-fingers-n-toes? will completely vanish as soon as you see your new baby. It's an amazing, life-changing experience! Motherhood truly makes us commit to becoming our best selves!!! You can do it -- my best wishes to you!!! )

Sidanne
  • Quote: I would hate to have a kidney infection and mistake it for labor!