Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

blah, kifli, i am so sorry you are going through that. Thank you for the advice. the nursing time tea has fenugreek in it. I haven't resorted to capsules yet, but if I keep having trouble I will. I have some advice. Garlic for you. babies love the taste of garlic in your milk (look it up) and it will give you a boost to get over that infection.

he's nursing less often, but seems satisfied. this is so confusing! I haven't been able to pump again, and I only gave him the bottle so he wouldn't reject them. He's been rejecting all bottles--we went out to eat, and I gave him a bottle during dinner.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 194/ see ticker /115

Height: 5'3

Jendiet: If he's seems satisfied, he probably is. It's nice when they don't nurse as often....giving us a little break =0)

Thanks for the garlic advice....I like it too!
kifli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #93  

New here glad to have found a nursing weightloss support thread i nurse my almost 9month old, i pump at work it sucks lol and nurse her at nights shes exclusively bf only eats solids here and there they don't replace her breastmilk yet Polly won't til she's a year or so any ways happy to be here
Eskimo Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #94  

Eskimo: Welcome! My Luke was born November 15, 2011. So he is also almost 9 months old too =0) I also have another boy who just turned 3.
That is so admirable to pump while at work, especially that long. Great going!!!
Anyway, glad you could join.

Last edited by kifli; 08-05-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #95  

eskimo, i need some of your pumping determination. Welcome.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #96  
Mum of 3D now!

S/C/G: 287/266/150

ARGH.....in the past two weeks my Meme has sprouted 2 teeth and learned to crawl and is now climbing up on things! I have been going CRAZY! I have super sore nips from her falling asleep on the boob and her new little teeth rubbing on them and she has kept me so busy chasing after her...as I type this she just dumped a whole box of mail I was sorting. YIKES I am so bummed out because I broke a small bone in my foot and have not been able to get to the gym. It sucks because I was really enjoying it alot.
Mumof 2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #97  

Height: 5'0"

Mumof2D: Yeah, it can be hard sometimes, can't it? When my LO first sprouted teeth, she took to giving me majorly hard bites every once in a while. Fortunately, she eventually stopped doing that. But her teeth do still rub me raw sometimes. And when she started crawling... ARG! I could no longer set her on the floor and expect her to be in the same place a few minutes later. Now she's into everything!! It's a challenging time, for sure.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #98  

Thanks! I've been pumping since she was exactly 5months its sucks but it sure beats buying formula lol
Eskimo Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #99  

Eskimo & Banana:
I can relate! My baby is a very fast crawler now. He's into everything and puts everything he can find in his mouth. I even caught him trying to suck on the cable jacks sticking out of the wall!

He has 6 teeth total. I think this may be how I got mastitis. I had a blocked milk duct from inefficient emptying stemming from that trip away in which I had to pump. He was frustrated due to the slow milk flow, and as a result he caused trauma with his teeth, and I ended up getting a Staph infection from an open wound.
I had to pump that side for 2 days straight because I was in so much pain with the swelling and trauma. I just nursed him on that side for the first time tonight.
His teeth are still scraping me =0(
I'm so on edge with the nursing right now! It's so painful. Ugh. This really is a bummer. I'm truly afraid to BF him! If I get bit, I think I'll cry =0( I'm healing, but it is SOOO SlOW.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #100  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi to all...

I'm not nursing just yet, but I'll be having a baby in 8 days so I thought I'd sign up.

My plan is to exclusively BF for most of my 7wk maternity leave. I'll probably pump a litle bit after an evening feeding so I can build up my freezer supply b/c LO will definitely have to have a bottle or two once I go back to work. A week or two before I go back to work, I'll start giving her the bottles she'll have to take while I'm gone. I hope it works out!

kifli- How old is your LO? Mastitis always sounds so painful! I hope you can recover soon.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #101  

Hi Tanna, Congratulations on the pending arrival of your little girl! It's such an exciting time....I loved that time so much. Is this your first?

My baby will be 9 months next Monday. I also have a 3yo. I breastfed both of them. Don't be worried about the mastitis. I haven't had any problems with infections up until now. It was just because I took a trip away from the baby and started having blocked milk ducts as a result. I'm back to nursing now, but it's still a little sore.

Breastfeeding shouldn't be painful after the newborn days. I had a lot of pain initially with both kids, but eventually it went away. The latch was right, but both times there was a break-in period for me.

Word of advice: Pump as much as possible after your feeds the first 3 months if you plan on breastfeeding longer. It helps establish your milk supply long term. I had a whole mini freezer full of BM stashed b/c your body doesn't know how much to produce initially (ex. your body can produce enough for multiples) and you can pump the most at this time, but the baby drinks hardly anything since she is so little still.
If you are just going to bf for a little while, try to take advantage of this time to get that extra milk stored. The drawback is sleep deprivation from around the clock feeding, so it is really hard to pump when you would rather sleep!

Anyway, congratulations to you and your family =0) How precious to have a little girl! =0)

Last edited by kifli; 08-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #102  
hot mama!

Thanks for the good advice, Kifli

I have a 3.5 y/o daughter, and I BF'ed her for a year. It was painful for about the first eight weeks, but I think a lot of that was because she was a preemie and had some latching problems with her itty bitty mouth. I did quite a bit of pumping with her and ended up producing too much milk for a while! I'm a good dairy cow! hehe. I never had anything worse than thrush with her. That was uncomfortable, but nothing like mastitis.

The biggest difference this time around is that I will be working full-time when I go back to work rather than part time. Pumping during the school day will be a new experience. I'm looking into one of those double-pump bra thingies. We rented a hospital grade pump and will do that again since it was so fast and efficient.

You're doing great on your weight loss! I've gained about 40 pounds, and while I'm carrying it fairly well now, I'm curious as to what the "aftermath" will be. I'm anxious to get back into exercising once the doc gives me the all-clear. I'm not going to restrict calories for the first few months while my milk is established, but I will keep track of my foods. I think this will help me avoid the over-indulgence I succumbed to with DD1.

I'd love your advice or anyone else's in regards to post-partum weight loss.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #103  

Hi Tanna - Your in great shape as far as the 40 pound gain. That is what I gained with my first baby and my body looked pretty good after the loss.

My second one is a completely different story. I was 41 when I had my last baby. I don't know if this contributed to my excessive gain or not since my eating seemed to be the same, but I gained about 70 pounds with this pregnancy!

So I had the baby in November of last year. For the first couple of months, I did nothing to lose weight, just ate healthier and let my body lose what it does naturally. After my body stopped losing naturally, I started calorie counting. About 1700-1800 calories per day, sometimes a little more. That worked for a long time and I was able to maintain supply. I lost about 50 pounds that way, but wasn't able to lose anymore for the past several months. So I joined Jenny Craig to help stay on plan. I am now eating about 1500 to 1700 calories per day. I shoot for 1500, but often go over. My milk supply is established now, so I think the lower calories are okay for me.

With the first baby, I was 164, then my body went down naturally to 142, then I joined Jenny Craig to lose the rest (again calorie controlled).
This pregnancy has been brutal on my body. I'm gonna finish losing some more weight, then tone up with exercise.
The first pregnancy with the 40 pound gain, I was able to lose with diet, no exercise, and I still looked okay.
Not this time around!!!

Anyway, sorry about the advice above. I wasn't sure if you were a new or seasoned 'Mom'. If you were new, I wanted to give some advice, because I know breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging and with my first I battled low supply problems.

I also pumped at work with the first baby. I bought one of those bras for double pumping. It had good reviews from everyone, but I hated it. Just me. I instead prefer to pump with the hair bands interlooped together and connected to my bra strap. I'm pretty large above, but 2 bands on each side seem to work fine. I didn't know about this method until I read it online.
I also rented a hospital grade symphony for 6 months with this baby. I loved it. It was about the same efficiency as my Medela PIS, but much gentler and quieter. We moved to another state, so I returned it.

Anyway, you sound like you are prepared and have planned well! Are you having a scheduled delivery? I had my first and second one 2 weeks early. You are soo close!
Congrats again =0)

Last edited by kifli; 08-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #104  
hot mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifli View Post

Anyway, sorry about the advice above. I wasn't sure if you were a new or seasoned 'Mom'. If you were new, I wanted to give some advice, because I know breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging and with my first I battled low supply problems.

Anyway, you sound like you are prepared and have planned well! Are you having a scheduled delivery? I had my first and second one 2 weeks early. You are soo close!
Congrats again =0)
I didn't mind the advice at all! Even though it's not my first go-round, there's always something new to be learned. And this pregnancy is WAY different than my first (better, actually). I figure the BF experience probably will be too.

It sounds like you are definitely in control and doing awesome with your weight loss!! Your stats are fairly similar to mine- I'm a little taller at 5'4" and I'd like to eventually get to 130ish.

I gained 40 with my first DD (except I had her at 34 weeks- I probably would have gained 50-60 if I had gone full term). After I had DD my weight stabilized at 165ish and then it took me 9 more months to get back to pre-pregnancy weight of 145. Now, even though I've gained 40 like I did last time, my weight seems more balanced and less noticeable. I hope this means it will come off more easily. It was a fight last time, especially since I couldn't kick my treat habit!

If I make it to my c section date, she'll be coming a week from today. I've been having some pretty decent contractions though- nothing regular yet, but definitely more frequent- so we'll see what happens. We're excited!

Now I'm hungry... of course. haha
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #105  

ugh, i'm scared with all the stories of evil little teeth gnawing away at boobs.

is it too late to up my milk supply? should i start pumping after every feed? I just have so little time. I don't want to lose my milk supply. He's 3 months old now.

give me some advice. I pumped last night, and my milk barely filled my boobs this am. he got a little restless at the boob again too. I hope he is getting enough.