First "real" post baby workout - OUCH!

• Finally started doing abs and elliptical again (I'm a little slow, was cleared by ob 2 weeks ago) and OUCH! The elliptical was alright, but the abs killed. It hurts to cough/laugh/sit up today. Oh well, that's what happens when baby stretches out muscles and you haven't done any crunches in 9 months.
  • I'm so glad you posted this. I'm five months and have been wondering once I give birth, how long it will be before I can work out. It looks like it was eight weeks for you. That's impressive!

Is your elliptical at home? How are you scheduling breastfeedings and workouts?

Anyone else out there remember when they could return to exercise and what kind?
  • With both of my kids I started walking when they were just a few days old (I think I waited a week with my second, maybe) but I definitely took it really easy and didn't push myself at all. After the Dr cleared me to exercise (4 weeks with my first, 6 with my second) I started doing a little more. At that point you can do whatever your body can handle, but you still need to be mindful of high impact exercise (running, etc.) Your bones and joints are still pretty soft from labor hormones and you can cause some permanent damage without too much effort (I know a lady who blew out both of her knees running a few weeks after birth.) They say to wait for 6 months before beginning a high impact workout routine, just to make sure your bones are hardened again.
  • Quote: I'm so glad you posted this. I'm five months and have been wondering once I give birth, how long it will be before I can work out. It looks like it was eight weeks for you. That's impressive!

Is your elliptical at home? How are you scheduling breastfeedings and workouts?

Anyone else out there remember when they could return to exercise and what kind?
    I go to they Y which is about 5 minutes from my house. I'm generally only gone for about an hour and feed Callum right before I leave, but there is always some milk in the fridge for him so dh can feed him if he gets hungry for any reason. And Gale is right, definitely be careful about high impact. That's what I love about the elliptical, it's a good cardio work out but it's easy on the joints.