Pregnant, and sister just miscarried...

• Well, I guess I've had it on the weight loss thing for several months! I just found out that I am about 5 weeks pregnant, and my husband and I are so excited! I have a bit of research to do as far as what I should be eating calorie wise now... I don't want to throw everything to the air but I'm not going to be restricting while pregnant, because I plan on keeping my baby.

The downer is that my little sister JUST had a miscarriage last week. I had suspicions when she told us that I was pregnant, but of course I didn't say anything then. Now I know for sure... I want to tell my family, but I'm worried about hurting my sister.

Anyway, I just had to get that out. It's a sensitive issue and I'm not quite sure what I should do in regards.
  • Why not wait for a while? It's early days. In a few weeks she may be less sensitive,
  • So sorry to hear about your sisters miscarriage, this does make it difficult for you as I know you are so happy about your own pregnancy. As for diet it is best to consult your doctor about this.
  • sorry to hear about your sister and on cragts on getting pregnant if i were you id wait untilyour 12 week scan to tell them least you are over the 3 months period xxx
  • As someone who has has miscarriages it will be very hard for your sister. I know you are excited but it would be much more sensitive to wait a while.
  • Congratulations!! When are you due?

I think I would probably also wait until you are 12 weeks to start announcing. It would show some sensitivity toward your sister. I know it'll be hard to wait, but if it would help mitigate her pain at all it'd be worth it.
  • Okay, I called to tell my mom but asked her not to 'spread the news' and I think I'll wait to tell friends. I'm also waiting to tell my husbands mom til the first trimester is over, as she had 8 first tri miscarriages before my hubby was born and he says she would be way too anxious for me.

I feel terrible about my sisters miscarriage. She was not very far along, but I'm sure she'll be able to conceive again. She is only 19 and has a lot of time. She is usually a rather level headed person, and medically minded, so I think she'll be okay, but I understand that it's a terrible loss that she will always have to have.

I'll just bask in the glory of my upcoming baby with my husband and mom, and my 3FC friends for now. And pray that my pregnancy goes well. There is no history of miscarriage in my own family, except for a grandma of mine who did a couple of times (yet she had 13 children anyway) and the little sister now.
  • You may want to go ahead and try to have a private conversation with your little sister and let her know that you're pregnant. It'll be much harder for her to hear about your pregnancy with other people there or even worse if she heard about it from someone else first. I have had an early miscarriage and there is nothing worse than getting blindsided with others present. She will be very happy for you, but also sad for herself, and those are hard emotions to deal with in public.

Congratulations and all the best for you and your baby!
  • You should really try to wait a few weeks at least. It's always going to be hard for her but a show of respect is about all you can offer right now. My sister in law got pregnant just about the time I lost a pregnancy and I was hurt that they just went around telling everyone without at least waiting a few weeks.
  • If you tell one you need to tell all, just in case somneone lets it slip. Your sister will be more hurt if you don't tell her, yourself. Likewise your MIL if she finds out you told your Mom and not her , she will be very hurt.
  • I got pregnant a few months after my little sister miscarried She was having a really hard time and i wasnt sure what to do. I decided to be straight, i didnt want her to hear it from anyone else. She felt a mix of emotions, she was sad for the baby she lost and looked at me all the time thinking, that should be me. But at the same time, she said it helped her get happy again and look foward to a little niece/nephew. As it turns out, she got pregnant 3months after i did, our babies are almost like brothers