Does this sound like possible pregnancy?

• TMI warning! I want to be detailed so that I get the most accurate feedback. And I know that no one here can tell me if I am or am not pregnant, I just want to know if any one else has experienced something similar to this and what it has/has not turned out to be.

A little over two weeks before my period was due I had some very light, dark brown, thick spotting. I also had PMS like symptoms and slight cramping. I thought at first it was my period early, but it wasn't really bleeding and only lasted 2 or 3 days. Then a week later I had more spotting, but very very little this time and again dark brown.

Now I'm two weeks late from when my period was supposed to come. I took a home test last week and it was negative. But I'm a little freaked that maybe it was a false read because I took it too early or because I took it in the afternoon instead of morning.

I keep thinking that my period is going to show up because I still have what feels like PMS (very tired, very moody, and extremely hungry) with some on and off mild cramping. But the longer it goes the more it's bothering me. I wouldn't say I'm stressed about it, I just want to know what's going on because all the PMS type stuff is making me a little miserable.

I also have a few cold symptoms that keep cycling but never get worse/better, and showed up around the same time as all of this, but that may be totally unrelated.

Should I buy another test? Or just wait and see? Is it probably just a glitch in my hormones this month?
  • of course it COULD be pregnancy....... but what you described about the spotting and whatnot is exactly what happend to me right before i LOST my period (due to dieting and exercise)..... if you end up not preggo, and your period continues to act wonky, think of it as a WARNING sign that your nody is stressed (from weight loss)....... youll have to consider taking a maintenance/workout break at that point.... anyway, im jumping the gun here, just offering up an alternative explanation
  • go get another test.....do it....then you'll know (with some certainty).
  • Schedule a visit with your gyn just to make sure what it is - then your mind's relieved and you're not worrying on it.
  • some states allow you to go to a lab and ask for HCG test. That is the measure of the pregnancy hormone, with out Dr's orders. It can take a day to come back.

It sure could be pregnancy, I have heard of all those symptoms occurring. Each person is different. Like PP state your gyn, can take 1 look and tell you for sure.

Or if you do not have health insurance a local clinic, crisis pregnancy center, usually offer free tests.

Not sure if this is planned or not, but we are here to help. Keep us posted
  • First one could have been ovulation spotting. Second one could have been implantation spotting. I had both and one time or another.

At 2 weeks out, any test should do by now but maybe buy a more sensitive test. Here's a chart:

http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancy-t...omparison.html

GL!
    A.
  • Thank you all for the advice.

mkroyer - I've also wondered a couple times if I'm just overtired and my body is trying to tell me I need to recover a little, since I upped the intensity of my exercise in December and again the beginning of this month (even though I began feeling "off" the end of Dec I thought it would go away). I took a couple extra rest days last week (so four rest days total) but I admit I ended up using the extra time and energy to really deep clean my apartment, shop, and catch up on projects. Plus I have an added emotional stress of recently starting to study for my GED. So now that I think about it, I guess it could be stress related. But whenever I think about taking a break the guilt trip voice in my head says I don't work nearly hard enough to deserve one so I end up feeling like I should work even harder.

astrophe - I didn't think about it being ovulation bleeding, because I always thought ovulation bleeding would not be enough to have spotting for two or three days. Thanks for the link, Clearblue Digital is the one I used and it's low on that list, even though the box said it's sensitive. Hm.

The rest of Jan I'm going to attempt to 'recharge my battery' so to speak, and do the things I normally feel too guilty to do. Like hot baths, naps, and reading for enjoyment. Plus only non-strenuous exercise like yoga and eating healthy foods when I'm hungry instead of counting calories. I'll get another test next time I go out, and if everything is still off after all that I'll make an appointment with a gyn.

Thank you all again!
  • The not knowing sucks (I'm going through it right now). Just try not to stress, and take good care of yourself. Keep us posted.
  • I was a week late this month and panicked so much I actually threw up in the Walmart parking lot before going in to buy the test.

I had been cramping and spotting all month long, which Google kept telling me was implantation spotting - my boobs were sore - it was over all the scariest thing ever. In my decade of having a menstrual cycle, it has been late less than a handful of times.

Bought the test. Waited a day. Took the test. Negative. Started my period that night - heavy but normal flow.

Could have been the diet change, the exercise change, stress, spending lots of time with a female friend I normally don't see very often - who knows. I know, however, that I'm not having a September baby lol

I also know that when I actively and eagerly wait for my period, it doesn't want to show signs of coming - maybe the negative test was just what I needed to let my stress guards down and "let it flow" lol.

Good luck with your own body <3
  • I spent the majority of yesterday resting (aka reading ) and this morning my TOM started. It could be just a coincidence, but it still made me feel a lot better so I'm probably still going to avoid extra stressors such as vigorous exercise for the remainder of this month. I guess a week break from exercise every couple months or so isn't too awful, considering how hard I've been pushing in my workouts. Then hopefully both the cold and PMS symptoms will be gone and I can pick up my regime again at the start of February.

Thank you all again.
  • Stress can definitely cause your TOM to go on hiatus and your hormones to whack out. I"m glad everything is well!