Naughty Initials?

• My whole life, I've loved the name Benjamin James for a boy. When I offered this as a suggestion, my husband said "NOOOO! They'll call him B.J., and I don't want our son to be named after oral sex!" I had personally never planned on calling him anything but Ben or Benny, as the two letter names (D.J., J.T., R.J., etc) never seemed appealing to me. Do you think giving a child the name Benjamin James would open him up to teasing in the future? I've always been of the belief that kids are always going to find SOMETHING to tease each other about. Is this handing them the ammunition? Or would it be okay to go with my gut on the name?
  • My husband refused to name either of our children with the initials BJ too...
  • I think kids will always find something to tease about. But if you don't call him BJ, and he doesn't tell kids his middle name, they'll never even know to call him BJ! That's just my opinion, though I did pay attention to what my sons' initials would be. Of course, my younger son's initials are GRR, but that's not dirty, just amusing!
  • My son's name is Benjamin Wesley, but no one knows the middle name, at least not yet. We call him Ben. I think dudesmom is right, just tell him not to tell anyone, especially if you really like that name.
  • I work in a residential treatment home with many kids who are highly sexualized and none of them think twice about a peer named "BJ". He doesn't get teased about his name at all. My kids only go up to age 14 though so maybe older teenagers would be different. But by the time your son can drive you'll have given him enough self resepct that stupid nicknames won't phase him at all.

Now, if I had a kid here named "Ennis" - he'd get teased...
  • I have plenty of friends that are named Dick & Peter & even with these names they made it thru life just fine!
  • I wanted to name a son "Richard Edward" but was vetoed. (Dick Ed)

I agree that it's unlikely he'd ever end up nicknamed BJ. I think initialed names usually start with the parent or because of the combination of the first and LAST name initials.
  • I went to high school with a guy everyone called BJ- I still have no idea what his actual name was but he used to sit with a bunch of creepy kids and play You-gi-oh (the card game) all day, and he was the one the creepy kids made fun of. (I graduated 03)
    so personally I would avoid it.
  • I have a good friend named BJ.. he was never teased and the name SO suits him!

On the subject of funny names, I once sold a car to a guy named 'Harry Cox", if you can honestly believe it. What were they thinking!!?? And if it was me, I'd go by Harold...

My oldest son's initials are KY. We thought about it a little... but then decided that no kids would probably even draw the comparison. We;ll see!
  • Ha ha ha ha....have to laugh. My husband's legal name is BJ. It stands for nothing. Just BJ. No middle name even...he's been getting crap for it his whole life.
  • Ok, I may just have my mind in the gutter but every time I hear the name BJ my brain does go there just for a split second.
  • Mine is BJ hahahaha and i dont have a middle name. horrible right? lol