Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #1  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Default June Pregnant/Breastfeeding checkin!

I realized we've been on May, still, for over a week, so it is time for a new check in and chat thread!

Welcome to all our breastfeeding and pregnant chickies!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #2  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

Just hanging in there for the last week or so over here! Each night when I go to bed I wonder if I'm going to wake up in labor (like with my last two), gotta love the anticipation.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #3  

Hi all! New to this thread. I posted a little on this board before I had the baby, but now I'm officially on plan! Doing WW for breastfeeding. I've only been on it for a couple of days, but so far so good.
Kestrel, good luck on your next labor!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 06-09-2010 at 04:33 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm retaining water now, not sure why though I'm hoping it has to do with the heat. So far I'm up to 9 lbs gained in almost 2 weeks. I worry about how much I'll gain till the baby comes.
Baby is moving a lot, haven't seen my midwife yet but she says this is normal.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Back with a story

Kestrel - I'm hoping for an easy birth for you! This baby wants to keep baking, obviously

Glamourgirl - good luck on WW, here's to staying on plan through breastfeeding! It tends to make me ravenous so that is a real challenge, but WW might be a huge help to you.

Rachel - I'm retaining water too, and I can only assume the weather may be the culprit here. Try not to stress about the gains if you are eating well and moving a bit, they're likely just amniotic fluid and baby gaining weight. Unless you're porking out, your body is obviously gaining weight for a reason. Yay for a wiggling, moving baby!

As I mentioned above, I am also retaining water and up to 217.6 today, which is down from Monday's weight of 218, at least! My energy has also crashed and my cravings are getting worse, so I am just trying to hang on and not eat the house! Protein is in the cards for me, I think.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

Stopped pumping Monday, still BFing in the AM, PM, and Weekends. I feel like I am going to be one of those people who gains weight when they stop BFing rather than the other way. . I have no exercise motivation either recently...
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #7  
Slowly but surely

GlamourGirl - I had fantastic luck with WW for nursing mothers after DD2 was born, I was thrilled! I'm excited to be starting it again after this babe comes. I don't know how much weight I've gained (I don't step on a scale while I'm pregnant) but I know it's a good bit.

My midwife was surprised that I made it to my appointment today, 2 of my others had already been born by this point. The only one that made it this close to her due date was 10 lbs, too. I have a history of precipitous labors (my last two were 2 hours), so my friends have a little bet on if my midwife will make it to my house before the baby comes or not. I can't believe it's this close already!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Kestrel - I'm hoping for an easy birth for you! This baby wants to keep baking, obviously

Glamourgirl - good luck on WW, here's to staying on plan through breastfeeding! It tends to make me ravenous so that is a real challenge, but WW might be a huge help to you.

Rachel - I'm retaining water too, and I can only assume the weather may be the culprit here. Try not to stress about the gains if you are eating well and moving a bit, they're likely just amniotic fluid and baby gaining weight. Unless you're porking out, your body is obviously gaining weight for a reason. Yay for a wiggling, moving baby!

As I mentioned above, I am also retaining water and up to 217.6 today, which is down from Monday's weight of 218, at least! My energy has also crashed and my cravings are getting worse, so I am just trying to hang on and not eat the house! Protein is in the cards for me, I think.
hahaha I wish I was porking out, at least I would know where the weight gain came from. I was just telling dh that I wish I could say that I pigged out on a whole pie and it was worth every bite but I haven't.
The baby gaining the weight scares me, my last child was my biggest at 8/10 so trying to imagine pushing out a bigger baby scares me. LOL
Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #9  
Back with a story

My kids have all been in the high 8's as well, but I can't say that made labor difficult for me, despite my smaller frame. Interestingly, I have a friend whose 10-pounder was her easiest and whose 7-pounder gave her the most trouble - fat squishes, so thats not an issue, but rather the positioning of the baby! One was posterior and that created a much more difficult labor than all of his bigger siblings WITH bigger heads.

I always figure the spinning babies exercises are about the best I can do for making my labors as easy as possible, along with staying upright for pushing.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've never posted on this actual thread, but I'm here on others, so I'll just jump in!

mom4life~ I'm retaining water too. I knew when I weighed in at 190 at my last appointment that some of that was water. Sure enough on the scale at work (which is spot on with my midwive's scale) I was 188 the other day. I keep bouncing up and down and my rings feel tight sometimes. I blame the heat!

I heard Barley tea (or barley water) helps with edema and I've been drinking that when I feel really swollen. It seems to help some.

Kestrel~ I hope you have a great birth! You are so close.

Glamor Girl~ Good Luck on WW! I've never done WW, but my sister got fabulous results on it.

I'm doing well. I had my "big" u/s and the baby looks great. My placenta is low lying though, so I have to go back in for another u/s next month to see if it's moving up. Hopefully, it does. We'll see, I'm not worrying about it at this point.

This is my first, so it's been fascinating to see how my body reacts to pregnancy. I swear I have days where I have more energy than I did not pregnant. Is that completely strange or what?
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #11  

Artic Mama - I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been crazy hungry since BFing. I'm greatful for the extra 12 points. I've barely been exercising though. I hate to admit it, because I want to, I just can't put the baby down long enough to get my chores done (plus I have a 2 year old) let alone exercise. Actually, I seem to spend a lot of time online b/c when ever I BF I go on line. I'm typing with one hand now.

On baby size, it seems that each baby gets bigger than the one before. So since my first son was 8 lb 4 oz and was very hard to push out, I was scared that my second would be bigger. Well he was 7 11 and much much easier to push out! I reached the exact same weight with the two of them... down to the pound which was weird, but with my first son I got there on all fast food. It was gross, I actually ate McD's several times a day (I was craving it and giving in) but with my second I gained it on much healthier calories. (still ate too much, but ate a balanced diet of not so fattening foods) Not sure if my diet could have effected the babies' weights?

Kestrel- I hope it works for me. I'm not exercising yet as I said. Did you exercise right a way?

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 06-10-2010 at 03:04 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I've never posted on this actual thread, but I'm here on others, so I'll just jump in!

mom4life~ I'm retaining water too. I knew when I weighed in at 190 at my last appointment that some of that was water. Sure enough on the scale at work (which is spot on with my midwive's scale) I was 188 the other day. I keep bouncing up and down and my rings feel tight sometimes. I blame the heat!

This is my first, so it's been fascinating to see how my body reacts to pregnancy. I swear I have days where I have more energy than I did not pregnant. Is that completely strange or what?
exactly, one day I weighed 176 then two days later I dropped 2 lbs then two days after that I went up 3 lbs. I'm hating the heat now.
as far as the energy, yes there are days where I'm running around like the energizer bunny then others where I'm tired practically all day. This pregnancy has been my hardest when it comes to energy, its so unpredictable on how I'll feel from day to day.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #13  
Slowly but surely

My babies didn't get bigger each time, which kind of surprised me! DS was only 8 lb 3 oz, DD1 was 10 lbs, then DD2 was only 9 lb 9 oz (she came at 38 weeks though, so a little earlier than the others). This is the longest I've cooked any of my babies, so I'm interested to see what s/he weighs! I didn't do any ultrasounds either, so the sex is a surprise too. It should be any day now (well, hopefully any night now so my kids will sleep through it!), I'm so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Kestrel- I hope it works for me. I'm not exercising yet as I said. Did you exercise right a way?
No, I didn't do any exercise right away. Well, I tried to get started doing the couch to 5k, but with my initial weight it was too hard on my knees. I would occasionally play around on the Wii Fit, but definitely not enough to be considered exercise. I started WW in Sept 08, then in July 09 I started karate but I was 10-15 lbs from my goal weight by then. I kept up the karate until a couple weeks into my 3rd trimester, and if I can get this baby to take a bottle of pumped milk (we've never used any bottles before, so I'm not sure) then I'm hoping to start back when s/he is about 2 months old.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #14  
Back with a story

You're due date is today Kestrel! WOOHOO!!! I hope the baby is ready to make their debut soon

And Sacha's silence I can only take as her baby finally showing up. EXCITING!

How are our first trimester mommies doing?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #15  

Kestrel, I hope its soon.
My last was my biggest at 8/10 and 21 3/4 inches long. I'm almost 34 wks along and this little guy is acting like he's looking for the way out. If he's this strong now I wonder how he'll be by my due date......and how big? ((shiver))
I've been trying to eat more protein to sustain through the day. A few people have reminded me "Protein grows a baby." Okay with my last child I craved cheeseburgers like you wouldn't believe which many say is the reason why he was my biggest. So now I wonder how big this little guy is because as I said his movements are stronger. Dh is excited but I keep telling him "You have him then." LOL Since I'm having a NON medicated birth, I'm wondering what position is best to birth a large baby, I birthed my last in a squatting position.