3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   PCOS Roll Call (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/94407-pcos-roll-call.html)

Snowbunny 09-22-2006 08:59 AM

PCOS Roll Call

I am just wondering how many of us have Pcos..and how much you have to lose?

I do. :yes:
I want to lose about 70 pounds..

Get n healthy 09-22-2006 09:19 AM

I have pcos and i need to lose about 120, but i would be happy if i lost 65. I only recently found out about pcos. My ob brought it up but my pcp is treating me for it. The ob would only let me have metformin and i didnt want that, i wanted byetta. Pcp gave me byetta and i love it. I think IR and pcos are probably something that is very under diagnosed.

HippyHippo 09-22-2006 09:57 AM

I have PCOS too, diagnosed 20 years ago when the only treatment available was for the infertility aspect and you were told to lose weight for everything else!. I'm on Metformin 2000mg a day. I have lost 64lbs but have 50/60/70 to go - I'll know when I get there!

JustMeMk 09-22-2006 10:41 AM

pcos and thyroid

Hi
I am 34, have pcos and hypo thyroid. Having either one makes it hard to lose weight - but having both makes it a killer. Why do you ask though !!

I am at 190 and want to get to 140. am taking baby steps towards 170 to start with.

I read that a couple of you were taking metformin and byetta, What are those medications for - cz my doc has not put me on anything just asked me to lose weight. :?:

Get n healthy 09-22-2006 11:12 AM

justmemk-That is a bummer the doc did nothing to treat your pcos. Is it your OB that said "just lose weight"? That is kind of like someone with hypothyroid being told, "just eat less and exercise more", it doesnt address that there is an issue with the thyroid gland, just like "just lose weight"...doesnt address the issue with yours ovaries. In my opinion, "just lose weight" doesnt help the condition of PCOS. From what i understand, the weight gain is just a symptom of PCOS. I think your doc has it backwards. PCOS causes weight gain, not weight gain causing PCOS. I would check around, ask a few other docs you see or flat out see a new one.

Oh, and the Byetta i take is for my insulin resistance, that is related to PCOS. Something about the insulin causing the cysts on the ovaries or something. I just know that MOST people are put on a "pre-diabetic" medication as treatment for pcos, because pcos causes insulin problems and it just becomes vicious cycle.

You might want to do some research and see where you stand and see if you agree with your doctor's "Just lose weight" treatment after you get some information on it. Good luck.

onestar 09-22-2006 07:18 PM

here

i have not been officially diagnosed yrt but i feel pretty strongly that i have pcos. i have to lose about 50 or 60 pounds. going to the doc wednesday. (is it true that a boold test can tell whether or not you have it?) i'm going to ask to be puy on metformin. later.

treezuk 09-23-2006 03:56 AM

I was diagnosed with PCOS in march 06 , and have been ttc for 2 years in october and had a m/c in july 05 and am currently not ovulating. I currently am not on any medication as my gp told me she cannot prescribe it and the fertility dr has failed to give me anything but i have a follow up appointment in November so i will know more then. I was told to lose weight so here i am , i have set myself a mini goal of 2 stones /28lbs/13kg's but i am aiming to lose about 130 ish in the next year.

ONESTAR : I was diagnosed by blood , they look for the progesterone number and the amounts of adrogens(male hormones) and female sex hormones you produce , my adrogens are high at like 16.2 which is why i dont ovualte as i have to many male hormones counter acting the female ones. The dr will explaion it to you in detail if u ask them to cut it down into chunks for you so u can understand the results.

:carrot: Teresa :carrot:

JigglyBits 09-23-2006 04:32 AM

Hey Snowbunny! I've been diagnosed with PCOS and got about 70 lbs left to lose too :D

newfiecyster 09-23-2006 11:03 AM

I been dx with PCOS since 1993. Been on met sice aug 2004. Since then i have lost 50 pounds and i am at goal weight now

Amberlyn 09-24-2006 01:47 PM

I have PCOS and I want to lose another 55-ish pounds.

irisheyes213 09-24-2006 07:05 PM

I have PCOS with insulin resistance. I have about 143lbs to lose total and have lost 43.

brandnewme 09-24-2006 08:13 PM

I was officially diagnosed with PCOS in December of last year. I have about 150ish lbs to lose, perhaps more, but would be happy with even 50 at this point.

lilybelle 09-24-2006 08:26 PM

I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance. I take Metformin 850 mg. twice a day. I have now lost 94 lbs. and am 5 lbs. below my goal.

shanie 09-24-2006 11:37 PM

my dr told me i had to lose 60 pounds before she'd give me something that'd make me conceive but she put me on Metformin 1000mg/day and Yasmin for now. I've lost 27 pounds so far, i go back oct 3rd so hopefully she can do something then.

Sassy_Chick 09-25-2006 12:11 AM

Fellow Cyster here. ;)

Diagnosed in 01. Have about 100 + lbs to lose. Been on a TTC "Break" going to see my dr Oct. 3rd and probably start TTC again.

Feel free to join us in the Monthly TTC and WL thread! ;)

Oopps forgot to put my meds. I take 500 MG. of Fortamet. I was taking Avandia but it was just not working for me. Gave me chest pains and made me swell up like a balloon. The Fortamet is great, no side effects, that I can see. ;)

:hug: