PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi, I'm new here. Today is my first day. I have PCOS/insulin resistance and a whole host of other GYN issues that are making it almost impossible to get pregnant. I really haven't paid attention to losing weight because I thought I would get pregnant and just get fat again. As it stands, I won't be getting pregnant anytime soon, so I've gotta lose some weight. I took metformin for a while and couldn't tell a difference so I just gave up on it.

I weigh 200 pounds and am 5'5"; I am at my personal fattest. I'm 36 years old, married, and happy otherwise.

So. Here I am ladies. Consider me a fat chick, too. No offense, but I'd love to be a skinny chick.
FatWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 219

Height: 5'6

Default Pcos

I think you are talking about polycystic ovary syndrom and I have that! I have had it for years, and they wanted to put me on metformin and a daily anti-inflammatory, and i have to lose about 70 pounds, if you ever hear any new treatments let me know
wannabehealthymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #78  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

Don't know if I've responded yet, but it's about 120 pounds. I weight about 272 now and need to be 165. It's so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
I am just wondering how many of us have Pcos..and how much you have to lose?

I do.
I want to lose about 70 pounds..
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 300/270/200

Height: 6'1"

Hi! I'm Melissa and I am new to the website and to PCOS. I was diagnosed this past fall after having a second miscarriage this past summer. I was determined to find out why this was happening to me, so I kept bugging the Drs. Well I went in to the hospital to have the D&C and my sugar was 185 fasting. So my OBGYN suggested I see a endocrinologist. He just asked some questions and looked me over. He then diagnosed me with PCOS. I currently take metformin/glucophage and I recently started working out and watching what I eat just as he suggested. It's hard but I'm trying. I am an certified emotional eater. Going through all the divorce stuff has kinda stolen my strength. Everytime we fight or he does something stupid here I go to find something to "make me happy". So I am glad I found this website. I have found great information and support. I am going through alot of changes in life right now so the motivation is much in need.

Thanks in advance for the advice and support.

My current weight is 268, my goal is 215-200, my highest weight was 305.
melissa1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #80  
Sheri

Default Roll Call

I was a healthy weight until I hit my mid twenties, but always had to diet, diet, diet and exercise like a maniac. Then I remember one year when I was 25, I got that birth control shot that keeps you from having periods? I gained 100 pounds in one year. It was unreal. I don't know if the two have anything to do with each other, But after that year, my periods became really irrgular, and two years ago, I stopped for nine months, then had a period that went on for seven weeks and I had to have a blood transfusion. My gyn said I have PCOS; she wanted to put me on Yasmin, but I have severe depression when I take hormone pills, so I take medroxyprogesterone once every six weeks for a few days and it starts my cycle for me. I am a complete lunatic for those few days I am on those pills: I have to warn my family! So now you know why I hate taking hormones!
I noticed a long time ago having episodes of my blood sugar dropping and rising, and feeling terribly lethargic and getting bad headaches and dizzy when I didn't eat in 4 hours, which never happened before. My doctor is not as interested in helping, but to be fair, I avoid treatment as much as I can. I hate the big "disappointment" look and head shaking my doctors give me when they say, Oh, you've gained another 10 lbs I see.
I know that is not a good thing, but it is at least honest, and that is what we are here for, right?
I hope 2007 is a new year that being healthy is going to happen for me. I have no support from the junk-food junkies at home, so I came looking here. I don't care how many pounds I lose, I just want to feel like a normal person again, fit in normal size clothes, sit in a folding chair without fear or refuse to have my picture taken, and not have people stare at me or refuse to look at me because I am so heavy.
Thanks for letting me get that out, and I look forward to talking to all of you guys and gals here.
EyeSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 224/224/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Default New to the list (sort of)

Hi all, I'm sort of new to the list (I've actually been a member for a while but not an active one). I have PCOS, type II diabetes and hypothyroidism. Right now I'm taking 112mcg of levothyroxine and 850mg Metformin 2x/day.

I recently found a new endocrinologist (Dennis Gage) who was recommend on the Soul Cysters board and I feel a new energy towards my health and weight loss program. I don't want to take more medications so my only other option is to get more serious about my diet and exercise program.

I've started keeping a food journal for the first time ever and I've found it really helps a lot. I honestly didn't realize how much I eat on a regular basis. So I'm hoping that hanging around here and connecting with cysters will help me stay on target
drlake66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello to all the new girls on the board!! Welcome and please stay in touch!

Sherry: I have a problem with junk food eaters in the house too. It's been a real process for me to stop eating it too, so I know what you're up against. My husband is a culinary student! Could it be any worse?! lol. My little brother (he lives with us) lives on candy bars and doesn't gain a pound ever! It's hard but once I started seeing results it was a lot easier to say no.

I also just want to feel like myself again....It really has nothing to do with the number on the scale. I think it's a healthy outlook.

Tiffany: You can do this! One pound at a time...

Melissa: Welcome. First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your mc's... I've been fortunate not to have to experience that. It's excellent that you're being assertive with your doctors to find out what's going on with your body!! I wish there was a one size fits all answer for us PCOS girls...sigh...Couldn't be that easy, huh?
I'm an emotional eater too, but I think I'm beating that these days. I have to have a full on conversation with myself when I head to the kitchen without even realizing it. "Now now Vanessa, are you really hungry? Didn't you just eat? Yeah...a glass of water, that's the ticket!" lol

Debbie: Yeah! It's great to see that your feeling more optomistic about your PCOS! It's the only way I've been sticking with it, for sure! I journal too, and just started keeping track of the times that I eat. I'm starting to try to space my meals evenly throughout the day. It sounds elementary but I'm not used to doing anything with myself in mind, so it helps!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #83  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Hi all!

New to the boards, can't believe I didn't discover them earlier! I was lucky that I was diagnosed at age 21, and was able to make PCOS live with me and not me live with PCOS. I find I do and feel the best when I'm following the holisitic approach of limiting starches and working out regularly. It should've been a sign when I put on 15 pounds of muscle in a matter of two months, what woman is capable of that?

Dropped down from my highest of somewhere around 200 pounds about 2 years ago. I'm now doing LA Weight Loss and dropped the 10 pound I've been yo-yoing since. Now if I can only drop the last 15 or so to get me down to a toned size 8.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #84  

I have had PCOS for a very long time. I have been fortunate to get pregnant w/o any help, but am paying for ignoring my PCOS for so long. I am only 39, but am taking BP pills and if my cholesterol does not come down by the time I am 40, I will be on meds for that as well. I also have a bladder condition that is very painful and interferes with my life.

That gives me a little over 8 months to get it going and lose some of this weight. I would like to lose at least 60 pounds.
willsmom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #85  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

i have pcos with insulin resistance, hypothyroidism and a host of other medical problems. i weigh 230 and want to get to 130-150.
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #86  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Welcome girls!! I'm glad to see that we have some new faces around here!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForHope16 View Post
Welcome girls!! I'm glad to see that we have some new faces around here!!

Ditto, happy to have ya!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #88  

Hey Girls,
I'm another PCOSer. Found out I have it when I started TTC. I now have 2 beautiful blessings thanks to clomid + met (our son) and IVF (our daughter). My daughter is now 7 months...I LOST weight while I was pg, same thing happened with my son and now the wacko hormones are well and truly kicking in again. I have been eating really badly and I want to STOP!!
I have about 80lbs to lose - gee it's depressing to say that out loud.
I haven't been taking my met either which doesn't help with cravings etc.

So, I need to get back on track and take my met and stick to a healthy eating plan and exercise. I take 2000mg of met per day.
Sapphire Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS a year and a half ago after losing so much blood that I needed 7 units transfused - the world record heaviest totm!

I'm interested to hear about the drugs you have been prescribed. I haven't been prescribed anything that might specifically address insulin resistance. I suspect that this has been at the root of my overeating for years and I now keep my blood sugar stable by eating complex carbs/ protein/ fat at every meal - this is what I discovered worked for me before I knew that this is recommended for PCOS. I take provera for one week in my cycle and it has lightened and regularised my cycle but it's suspected that I don't ovulate.

I too have been told that weight loss will improve my symptoms. For others who have posted on this - from what I've read it's a bit of a viscious cycle - PCOS can cause weight gain and make it very difficult to lose weight but the fatter you are the more severe the PCOS is (in my case I have excess oestrogen and fat bodies tend to store more oestrogen thus exacerbating the problem) so the only way of easing symptoms is to lose weight. Easier said than done I know!

If it's any consolation I found out I had PCOS after I'd lost 100lbs. I always wondered why I found it so difficult to squeeze off a pound - now I know. I do wonder if medication might help me shift my remaining 75lbs but I suspect it'll continue to come off if I work at it.

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 AM   #90  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

EM ~ Welcome!! I am glad that you have found us for support of your PCOS!!

Weight can change some people's PCOS (but then again most everyone can drop a few pounds) but that's not what causes it or the 'fix it all'.

If you ever need anything PM me!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote