PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 08:49 AM   #16  

Hallo everyone!

I had a very nice weekend. It was very easy to stay to my diet since I were not so hungry

I think this is going to work for me, I enjoy the food

I HOPE I CAN GIVE YOUR SOME GOOD NEWS ONE OF THESE DAYS, I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE SCHALE TO START MOVING!

Yvonne I am very excited about the news your recieved this weekend I think it is a great idea GO FOR IT!

My husband has started his own business a few months ago and now he is trying something new ‘heavy equipment for rent’ (by that I don’t mean his wife) lol trucks, bulldozers ect ......

I MUST GO NOW, TALK TO YOU LATER!

BUY BUY
Old 08-20-2001, 10:42 AM   #17  
WW Moderator

Default Glucophage and Pregnancy

Jennifer and others who might be on Glucophage, do you know anything about taking it with pregnancy?

Hi Sheli, as far as taking the Glucophage goes, you will probably not take it most of the time in pregnancy. There is still little research on how it affects unborn children, so it is considered 'experimental' for pregnant women. Some women stay on it through the first few weeks to lessen chance of miscarriage, but stop it then. It is up to your doctor. I would also ask your doctor if you can/should avoid foods high on the Glycemic Index while you are pregnant. Hopefully that would decrease your chances of gestational diabetes!

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2001, 05:15 PM   #18  

Default Monday Early Evening

Isn't it funny how each and every body is completely different? I mean, I read some have stalled or no weight loss and add Glucophage and then they lose at a low level. Some it takes more. Some lose without it (I lost 52 without it - albiet slower than most). Some lose at maximum Gluc., some have no seeming response at all. Some even lose 10% of their body weight and notice a difference. I did no.

I guess it made me think, I need to explore all avenues.

I too have been told "IF" I can get my weight down, the symptoms will go away. I can only imagine. I don't want to get down to 120lbs. That is probably what it would take.

Hensa I am so glad the "eating" part has been going well for you. I think my body has gotten to a comfortable place to maintain it's weight. Maybe my whole problem is just a plateau. Who knows?

So how scary is it to start your own business. I think most people can never get past the "fear" part of jumping out there. We were reading an article on the Small Business Association's website and they talked about fear of making money. I say "Bring on the money" LOL

Monica - I've read the same thing. Lose weight to make the symptoms go away, but not be able to lose weight because of the PCOS. CRAZY is what I call it.

I was reading this week on another PCOS message board (thanks to Jennifer's new AWESOME page, that lots of women take WAY higher dosages of the Glucopage than I and their doctors increase their dosages quicker than mine. Then I read that the highest dosage is 2250mg a day. I'm taking 1000mg per day. I wonder how high my doctor will go, I wonder if there is hope that the higher dosages will do something that the lower ones is NOT.

Just a few things to think about. Well, I'll catch you all later!!

Yvonne
Old 08-21-2001, 10:39 PM   #19  

Smile I can't believe it

I have been on this low carb thing now for about 5 days and have lost 5, that's right 5 lbs.!!!!! I had been on the low calorie, low fat thing for about 6 weeks and had only lost 11. I am finally into ONE-derland weighing in at 198 this morning.

Jennifer - thank-you very much for the info. I've heard of this Glycemic index, do you know where I can get this? Since my dad got diabetes when he was 27 and has had to take insulin every since, I am really scared right now and want to avoid that if at all possible. If I can hold out by keeping diet in check, this is the biggest motivation I have every had in my entire life, including my wedding!

Yvonne - When I found out I had PCOS, I was going to the doctor because I wasn't having any periods (regularly anyway). I got off the pill and had a regular one for about 2 months (doctor thinks the hormones were still in my system) and then after that it was 3 months before I had another one. I have been really lucky with my periods and usually never bleed for more than 3 days. I can tell even with the 16 lbs. that I've lost that my periods are getting closer together.

I'm sticking to the diet really well, not cuttin out carbs altogether because I really want to get some calcium in 1 glass of soy milk a day and maybe just a little bit of fruit a day but trying to keep it between 30 and 50 grams of carbs a day. And the walking is going great guns I went for 2 walks on Sunday, each for 40 minutes It's great having you guys to talk to. Until next time.

Sheli

Old 08-22-2001, 06:07 PM   #20  

Hi Everyone!
Yes--there is a theory in the medical community- which came first-PCOS or being overwt. In other words, the theory is that being overwt brings on these collections of symptoms called PCOS. However there is another theory that it really is a syndrome of the female reproductive system & not classified as a disease. I do have a friend who has it & she is thin. But she does suffer with PCOS but not as severe as I do. The wt really is a controlling factor. Here in Cleveland there is alot of research being done about this particular problem since it is starting to become more & more prevalent. Most drs really do not have time to research it so the more informed you make yourself the better off you will be when it comes to dealing with the symptoms & the medical community. Many of the members of the medical community look down on women with this problem. They see it has a collection of vague symptoms very similiar to chronic fatigue sydrome. That is why it is VERY important to educate yourself so you can converse with your dr. The latest research is that the drug of choice is avandia &/or actos. These two drugs help combat the problem of insulin resistance. But the best thing we can do for ourselves is lose wt.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:42 PM   #21  

Hi There,

I am new to this group. This is actually my very first reply. I have been dealing with PCO for many years now, and find that lowcarb was one of the only ways I could lose weight. I found that after being low carb for several months, I was able to switch to low fat and get the same results. I guess my body just needed the change or something. I am now the mom to boy/girl twins who are 17 months old, and I want to lose weight again so I can join them in all of their activities.

I wish everyone in the group luck in their endeavors, and I hope that I can chat often.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:19 PM   #22  
WW Moderator

Default Avandia &/or Actos

Hi PorkEPine, are you taking Avandia or Actos? I don't really know too much about these two drugs. Are the side effects about the same as Glucophage? I am getting so tired of stomach troubles with Glucophage. I am beginning to wonder if I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am rarely nauseous anymore, but I have plenty of urgent bathroom trips. Is that saying enough without saying it all?
Old 09-06-2001, 06:24 PM   #23  

Default Stomach Troubles with Glucophage

Jennifer,

How long have you been having the troubles. IF, and that's a BIG if, I remember to take them twice a day. I forget WAY to easily, I had stomach troubles, like you spoke of for about 2 wks, but it went away. Has yours gone on longer than that?

I didn't like the side affects that I read on the others, so that's why I chose the Glucophage.

Yvonne
Old 09-06-2001, 06:34 PM   #24  

hey jennifer! yes you said it all without being too graphic. that is one of the major side effects of glucophage. yes i am taking avandia but i really do not know how much "good" it is doing for me. i am not good at remembering to take pills so sometimes i miss a dose. all of the drugs- glucophage, avandia, actos are classed as anti diabetic agents. the latest research "suggest" that they "may" help with pcos. but since pcos is still a relatively "new" disease there isn't alot of knowledge about how these drugs affect pcos sufferers. so we are taking these pills sort of on a trial & error kind of basis. i would definitely let your dr know what kind of side effects you are having. since that particular side effect can impact you in other ways--like electrolyte imbalance which will throw your potassium & glucose out of sync. another thing to remember is that these drugs are VERY hard on your liver to metabolize. it is suggested that people who take these kinds of drugs get a routine liver enzyme panel done. fancy word for bloodwork. it is done just to make sure your liver is working properly. hope this helps
janice
Old 09-06-2001, 07:20 PM   #25  
WW Moderator

Default More about my teflon coated colon...

Yvonne, I average 2 pills a day more than 3, I am terrible about remembering them. I have had digestive trouble for about 3 months or more. What makes it difficult for me to understand is that sometimes I have trouble, sometimes I don't. This week no trouble until today...tomorrow we are supposed to take a trip for a couple of days and this makes me nervous to jump in the car and go down the interstate. I suppose I need to log my food and see what is causing this.

Janice, what you said about this drug being metabolized in the liver made me think about something. I sometimes sweat ammonia after being on the treadmill. The only thing I can find on the net is that marathon trainers do this smetimes because their body fat is so low and are eating so much protein, or that it is a side effect of liver or kidney disorders. I called my doctor to see if he needed to see me and he said no, it was just the Glucophage and that I needed to up my water. Hmm, maybe I should have mentioned the 50-yard dashes to the bathroom!
Old 09-06-2001, 11:11 PM   #26  

Jennifer,

That is awful, that you have SO much trouble. I see me being like you. I have a hard time remember 2X a day. I try to space them 12 hr apart and sincei take one near bedtime with my other "pills", the 2nd one is during the day sometime. If he puts me on 3 a day, that will be VERY interesting.

Strange too that you have the "problems" off and on!! I had an episode, when I was first taking the 2 a day and we were on country roads, I was doubled up. Sam kept joking about stopping at the side of the road and using a leaf, stating that's what they are there for....he was really just trying to distract me. We finally found some civilization and I was SAFE. But it was scary for about 1/2 hr.

That is SO weird about the alluminum. The only problem I have with exercise, is getting completely ILL afterwards. DRAG-DEAD tired, sick to my stomach, lethargic. After a light 30 minute work-out I need to sleep for a few hours. My doc said that would be remedied by eating some protein, before the work-out. I haven't tried it, but I need to.

Yvonne
Old 09-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #27  
WW Moderator

Default take pills with food

Yvonne, instead of trying to space the Glucophage at 12 hour intervals, you should be taking right before a meal. If you are taking at bedtime then that can be why you are having stomach trouble.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:45 PM   #28  

jennifer--

have you shared with your dr all the side effects you are having from glucophage? you could be sweating ammonia for a number of reasons. please, please tell your dr the symptoms you are having. you do not want to do unnecessary damage to your liver &/or kidneys. are you spilling protein in your urine? you can buy urine dipsticks OTC at any drugstore. if you do find that you are spilling protein please notify your dr. keep me posted.
janice
Old 09-07-2001, 10:23 PM   #29  

Jennifer,

Actually all of my side affects are gone now. But I thought by reading the directions on the bottle and talking to the pharmacist, that even he said try to space it at 12 hrs to keep it consistently in my blood stream.

Oh, one more thing. I have noticed that my craving for carbs has diminished, BUT I get a mild regular headache regularly when I NEVER did before. It is NOT a listed side affect of Glucophage, what do you think...you have them?

Yvonne
Old 09-10-2001, 09:32 PM   #30  
WW Moderator

Default headaches

Yvonne, I do have headaches some but I think mine are more tension and stress related!
Closed Thread