PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #1  

Question Taking Glucophage?

Just wondering - are you taking Glucophage? If so, how much? Have you noticed any difference? I'm taking 500mg, 2 times a day and havent really noticed much of anything. Want to talk to my dr about taking more. Thanks, Jen
jbhair2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #2  
RN

I take 1000mg twice a day. It makes a HUGE difference in my numbers. It should also help with weight loss.
flowerbunnylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #3  

Thanks Flower Bunny!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

1500 mg once a day (bedtime). It certainly has stabilized my BGL but the weight is staying about the same. I need to get off my fluffy butt and exercise.
(I also take 2.5 mg of glyberide and hope to get off that soon.)
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #5  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhair2000
Thanks Flower Bunny!
No problem.

I recently had to go off my Metformin for a week, and my sugars were a mess. I medicated in other ways to try to make up for it. It was awful!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #6  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
1500 mg once a day (bedtime). It certainly has stabilized my BGL but the weight is staying about the same. I need to get off my fluffy butt and exercise.
(I also take 2.5 mg of glyberide and hope to get off that soon.)

I take 5mg of Glyburide twice a day. I hope someday to get off of it too, but not today. LOL

I need to exercise more, but I'm trying to recover from an orthopedic injury. Oh what a difference exercise makes! My last A1c was 5.7%, and I don't know how I got there! LOL
Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #7  

I'm taking 1500 mg with my evening meal. It seems to have made a huge difference in my weight loss, but I haven't had my blood sugar levels checked in about 3 months. I need to get my backside back into the lab to have it checked.
JanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #8  
Pound by Pound

Height: 5'4"

Hey girls!
I've been on Metformin since July 2004, I feel that the Met has played a part in my weightloss ... BUT, I didn't start losing until I made changes in what I was eating and I began to exercise, which was over a year after starting - August 2005 ...

I had b/w done in August just when I was starting my new way of eating and my BGL was, umm... 99 I think, gosh... now I need to look that up to make sure! I have an appt on Jan. 31st to get things checked out again ...

Oh btw - I take 1700 mgs - 2 850 mgs tabs twice a day (breakfast & dinner).
** Stacye ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #9  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ** Stacye **
Hey girls!
I've been on Metformin since July 2004, I feel that the Met has played a part in my weightloss ... BUT, I didn't start losing until I made changes in what I was eating and I began to exercise, which was over a year after starting - August 2005 ...

I had b/w done in August just when I was starting my new way of eating and my BGL was, umm... 99 I think, gosh... now I need to look that up to make sure! I have an appt on Jan. 31st to get things checked out again ...

Oh btw - I take 1700 mgs - 2 850 mgs tabs twice a day (breakfast & dinner).
I was just looking at your progress - good job!

I keep my blood sugars pretty well controlled for the most part yet I'm not losing weight. I had lost some but gained it back with poor eating. I know what I want to do yet I'm still a little in the dark. It's time I see a good nutritionist. I know what's good and bad, but I would like a really well defined low fat 1500 cal diet that's good for diabetics.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #10  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaM
I'm taking 1500 mg with my evening meal. It seems to have made a huge difference in my weight loss, but I haven't had my blood sugar levels checked in about 3 months. I need to get my backside back into the lab to have it checked.
I check mine 5 times per day, but ultimately it's my HgbA1c that really tells the truth, and I have that done every 3 months.

I'll give you a boot in the butt like I give my patients so you get to the lab! LOL
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #11  

Gosh Chicks. Thanks for all the 411. It's nice to know there are others dealing with the same problem, and succeeding.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #12  

Thumbs up

I take 2 500mg in the morning, and 2 500mg in the evening. It does me a world of good. That's IF I follow my strict diet & exercise program....some days I do have a problem not getting it done right.

My doctor gave me samples of ACTOS...45 mg. I take 1/2 tab 1X daily...in the morning. I have noticed a HUGE difference! But when I got my A1c done 2 weeks ago. It said I was 7.9!!! I was like "WHAT??????" I check my blood 3 times a day and I know for a fact I haven't eaten anything sweet or hardly any carbs. I told my doctor I wanted another test done. She said, "In 3 months." WHAT? I wanted it done now but if she feels it can wait....so be it.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #13  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald dragonfly
I take 2 500mg in the morning, and 2 500mg in the evening. It does me a world of good. That's IF I follow my strict diet & exercise program....some days I do have a problem not getting it done right.

My doctor gave me samples of ACTOS...45 mg. I take 1/2 tab 1X daily...in the morning. I have noticed a HUGE difference! But when I got my A1c done 2 weeks ago. It said I was 7.9!!! I was like "WHAT??????" I check my blood 3 times a day and I know for a fact I haven't eaten anything sweet or hardly any carbs. I told my doctor I wanted another test done. She said, "In 3 months." WHAT? I wanted it done now but if she feels it can wait....so be it.

emerald dragonfly
3 months is the standard time frame, but maybe if you insisted on having it done sooner, she would order it? 7.9 isn't great but it's not that bad either. I'm trying to train my brain that I'm going to have this disease for the rest of my life and that my numbers aren't always going to be what I want them to be. That's just way too much pressure!

I went from 11% to 5.7% in a year. I'm hoping I can maintain the 5.7, but I don't feel very confident. Hang in there!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #14  
kami=paper/god twi=me

I take 850mg 3x daily, and I found some success WITHOUT exercize initially, but it was really slow. I think that my success might have been linked to my insulin being much more stable, and not having a constant urge to eat anymore because of that. Exercise is definitely the key--I wish I could focus on it a bit more!
Kamitwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #15  
RN

I got some clearance from my Orthopod to exercise more and do PT. But unfortunately I apparently have RSD.

But I think you're right - exercise is the key!