PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #1  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default just saying hello...

Hello ladies!! I just wanted to make a new thread to let you all know that I'm still lurking around, I don't know if anyone else is, but I'd love to chat with you all!! I'm currently really working on getting my exercise in line..right now i'm doing about half an hour 4-5 times a week.

I know Jennifer mentioned that PCOSers need to exercise more than "normal." My question is this average? Should I be doing it every day you think? I dunno if I need to (as Emeril would say) "kick it up a notch!" Ha ha. anyways...I've lost about 17 pounds in the past few weeks, so I'm happy with that.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

I am trying to exercise an average of one hour per day. I think 30 minutes 3-5 minutes a day is the 'old' average. New government guidelines suggest 30 minutes a day to maintain weight, and 60-90 to lose weight for 'previously overweight' people. It mentions

Here is a snippet from the Dietary Guidelines from the US Govt:

Quote:
Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY

Key Recommendations
Engage in regular physical activity and reduce sedentary activities to promote health, psychological well-being, and a healthy body weight.

To reduce the risk of chronic disease in adulthood: Engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity, above usual activity, at work or home on most days of the week.

For most people, greater health benefits can be obtained by engaging in physical activity of more vigorous intensity or longer duration.

To help manage body weight and prevent gradual, unhealthy body weight gain in adulthood: Engage in approximately 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity activity on most days of the week while not exceeding caloric intake requirements.

To sustain weight loss in adulthood: Participate in at least 60 to 90 minutes of daily moderate-intensity physical activity while not exceeding caloric intake requirements. Some people may need to consult with a healthcare provider before participating in this level of activity.
Achieve physical fitness by including cardiovascular conditioning, stretching exercises for flexibility, and resistance exercises or calisthenics for muscle strength and endurance.
Here's a news story that talks more about it:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in680033.shtml

There is also some good info about this in the Maintainer's Forum!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #3  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh my gosh!!! That is so unreal...I mean I think it's a great goal to set for ourselves, but how in the world are most of us with full time jobs going to fit in NINETY MINUTES OF EXERCISE A DAY!! Wow....right now I'm doing 30 minutes 4 or 5 days a week...Though in my defense I just started exercising regularly last month, and when I started, it was hard for me to do 15 minutes!! So I think I've come a long way. I stared out using Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the pounds (one mile walk) and then have gradually increased to Walk Away the pounds the two mile walk, and then Walk Away the Pounds Express 2 Mile walk, and Walk away the POunds for Abs, two mile walk (both are a bit more intense than the original).
I don't know what I'd do without those tapes I guess I should make it my goal though, to eventually do the four mile walk, which IS an hour of activity.

Another question, do you include toning exercises in your total minutes? According to that article, that wouldn't even count!!!!
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote