PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #1  

Exclamation How To Handle PMS?

I'm really being hit hard with PMS this month. It's my first cycle off BCP and 8 mos postpartum- so my hormones are so out of whack! I'm terribly grouchy, constantly tense, and REALLY craving sweets. I've been working so hard to lose the weight I really don't want these next 2 weeks to screw it up for me. I've heard Evening Primrose Oil helps. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions to share?
vendigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #2  

You are definitely not alone on this one. My PMS is awful, and I get cravings and mood swings that are enough to make my husband want to relocate for a week. I normally gain 3-6 lbs, which really does get me down. My pre-PMS has lasted for about 2 weeks, and I still haven't started. It really slows down my weight loss b/c I've really only got two good weeks out of the month. Believe me, I've heard lots of water does the trick, however, I probably drink 3-4 gallons of water a day, and it does NOTHING for me. However, green tea has helped alleviate the awful cramps that I get, although I still get the weight gain.
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I just thought I'd poke my head in, because I get BAD PMS and usually go off-off-off plan, I recently discovered Chromium suppliments seem to calm my cravings. Check with your doctor, 5HTP helps with my "PMS blues", and also helps to control cravings (you have to be careful with it though). And! I take Fish Oil pills, they seem to help with any bloating, and with my cramps.. I haven't even put on weight this period which I attribute to them. Hopefully that helps a bit
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #4  

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I took the plunge and bought some EPO today. I've taken on pill so far and no ill effects, but I was already feeling a little less "hormonal" today. I too really pack on the water weight these 2 weeks prior to TOM but my big problem right now is how tense and angry I get. It's so awful. I feel totally out of control of my emotions and with 2 very small children in the house that's a bad thing. They must think I'm totally crazy! I don't usually freak out over spilled milk (literally) but this week I am. Yeesh!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

To relive PMS I:

1. Exercise at a very high intensity for me it gets the frustration out...
2. I take UDO's oil which has evening primrose oil in it and some other very good oils...Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend Ingredients: Flax oil*, sunflower oil*, sesame oil, medium chain triglycerides, evening primrose oil (12.6 mg GLA per tablespoon), rice germ and bran oil, soy lecithin, d-alpha tocopheral (natural vitamin E), oat germ and bran oil. (*from certified organically grown seeds). Here is the link I found this info...http://www9.netrition.com/udos_choice_page.html ... since I've been taking this oil regularly I barely have any PMS or peri-menopausal symptoms...My hair is VERY shinny too since I've been taking this oil...
3. Drink lots of water...
4. Eat a carb and a protein portion every 3 hours to keep the insulin levels at an even keel, this also prevents, for me anyways, cravings...

I hope this helps, let us know...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #6  

Thanks Ilene. I've heard of Udo's Oil on a body building site before. I'm not sure if I can get it in Canada, but I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

You can definitely get it in Canada, I'm Canadian .... GNC carries it...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote