PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #1  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Default Question

Hi everyone!

I have a question about PCOS, sorta. About two years ago, I went to the doctor and had a huge work up because I thought I may have PCOS- we did all sorts of blood tests, had an ultrasound, everything. Came up negative. But I have all the signs of it.

I was told that it is probably because I am overweight, and that as I lose weight, my "symptoms" would disappear.

<TMI alert>

Well, my biggest problem with this is that I don't get my period. Before this big exam, I hadn't had it for 8 years (yes you read that right). My gyn put me on Premarin (I think that was the name?). UGH. And since then, I haven't had my period since.

Is this just normal "being overweight?" Should this be happening to an (otherwise) healthy 26 year old? I mean, I know you aren't doctors (!) but I'm wondering what advice your doctors have given you and what you've read. Should I schedule an appt with an RE? I just moved to the area, so if anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading this and for any advice you can give!
Freedom&Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #2  
Swimming Mouse

You sound like me, Freedom. I never have a menstrual cycle. I was on progesterone to force a cycle, and had one (although it took 2 massive doses of the medication to make it happen), then didn't have another one since. I gained my weight over about a 2 year period, and couldn't (and still can't) lose it despite not eating. I saw a nutrionist who told me to eat more and keep exercising, but its hard to eat more. Most days I'm nauseated, and when I'm not, I'm not usually hungry.
I'm also going to send you a private message because the reproductive endocrinologist I see is in your area. She is FANTASTIC... I don't know if she's taking new patients or not, though.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote