PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:37 PM   #1  

Default 23 yr old just diagnosed w/PCOS

Hi all,

23 yr old female, I've been having numerous cysts popping up lately, and then they started linking bad acne and weight problems to it possibly being PCOS!! Anyhow had a bunch of bloodwork done last week, waiting for the results...She mentioned having to possibly go on something called glucophage?
Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone could share some personal experience with me on this, seeing that Im not at all familiar with the syndrome?
Also, could this be a big infertility concern?
Thanks
jewels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #2  
Gotta move my Thang!

Hiya - and welcome!

I would check out the PCOS sticky to get more info, were I in your shoes. There's also a ton of info out there for PCOS ladies - one good one is www.pcosupport.org.

To answer your last question, yes, PCOS often has fertility complications - that's how it was diagnosed for me. I had wacko periods for several years, some times nothing for 6-8 months, sometimes bleeding for two or three months at a time, bleah! However, some ladies with PCOS have no troubles with feritility, and some can take glucophage and get pregnant no problem. My reproductive endocrinologist tells me that really the syndrome is not well understood, especially why it might present in such varies ways. Not all PCOS gals have weight gain, or acne, or skin tags, or even the "string of pearls" ultrasound that is supposed to characterize the syndrome (multiple ovarian folicles in cyst phase without egg release). You just have to have enough symptoms on a rather long list to be qualified for our august company.

My advice would be, start getting chummy with your Ob/gyn and have them refer you to an RE sooner rather than later. One who has experience with PCOS would be ideal, but aparrently the incidence of the syndrome is increasing, so more plain ol' practitioners are learning about it. Having a good relationship with those two doctors is a great first step.

Good luck, and keep checking in to let us know how you're doing!
Solarmama
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:35 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Acckk! I made a nice long post last night, but I have no idea where it went to! Look above in the PCOS Articles and see what you can find.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of answers - You might need Glucophage if your bloodwork shows that you are insulin resistant or diabetic. Hopefully you won't be! Some women need a special diet and some don't. If I were you, I'd read all you can from the articles and start writing down a list of questions for your doctor (or us!).

Yes, PCOS can cause fertility problems. Weight loss does remedy the problem for some people. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

I think you posted it in the Chat thread, Jennifer. I know I read your post if it was similar to what you posted above.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Thanks! I thought I lost my mind.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote